oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2019/20 Season

46 minutes ago, YerJokinArnya said:

Transfer fees really are far from a reflection of a player's ability. More contract situation, buyer/seller desparation etc. I think, like you say, given how desperate we are £2m isn't a disaster. Time will tell mind.

Read 'Deal Done'.  Fees are incredibly complex and very rarely end up being paid in full due to huge number of clauses etc

• Like 2
  • Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SDS, it’s Dijksteel at Rockliffe

For all those asking about these 4 players at rockcliffe just before weekend. I have done some digging appears it was bola Browne and 2 premiership loan players, sketchy with details but I believe the

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Youngy228 said:

Read 'Deal Done'.  Fees are incredibly complex and very rarely end up being paid in full due to huge number of clauses etc

I’ve said before my theory on fees is it’s all smoke and mirrors and ego massagers for football clubs and chairmen. 

I think of it like getting a car on PCP, clubs will pay an initial deposit then just pay instalments for a few years, in most cases the player will be sold before the transfer fee is ever paid off.

At least at our level up to maybe upper mid table premiership I think transfer fees paid are a monthly/quarterly figure of out goings balanced by another monthly/quarterly figure of incomings from players sold.

Thats how I think we could find the money for a more expensive signing (eze) as other than the up front payment a transfer budget is decided more by what kind of monthly payments you can afford than ‘we only have £4m in the bank’.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

I think of it like getting a car on PCP, clubs will pay an initial deposit then just pay instalments for a few years, in most cases the player will be sold before the transfer fee is ever paid off.

I'm pretty sure that is how every transfer actually works. I think a club paying a fee all upfront is something of a rarity. But selling clubs will prefer more upfront obviously.

Even if the player is then sold you will still have to pay the installments towards it.

Just now, DanFromDownSouth said:

Would be funny to see the fees for what they actually are "£1.6 Million plus VAT".

Just like in actual business VAT only applies on domestic deals.

Also how many VATable things are actually included on top, such as agent fees, solicitor fees and god knows what else. 

Mid we buy players from abroad do we not have to pay it? Also what happens if we sell a player abroad?

Just now, DanFromDownSouth said:

I'm pretty sure that is how every transfer actually works. I think a club paying a fee all upfront is something of a rarity. But selling clubs will prefer more upfront obviously.

Even if the player is then sold you will still have to pay the installments towards it.

If the player is sold, whatever you’ve agreed with the club you bought him off has to be paid up immediately I think, kind of like paying off the finance company if you sell your car.

Obviously though that will be included in the price you sell it for, so really the buyer is paying it off for you.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Also how many VATable things are actually included on top, such as agent fees, solicitor fees and god knows what else. 

Mid we buy players from abroad do we not have to pay it? Also what happens if we sell a player abroad?

I'm sure agency fees and solicitors fees are also VATable too. So would be included in the actual fees you'd imagine. But again any VAT we pay as a "Buyer" we could claim back.

No VAT is only a UK based tax method. Within the EU as it currently is, any trade between member states is free trade. So if we brought from abroad we pay no tax, same as if we sold to abroad.

2 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

And all of the add ons are included in the price.  Most of which are never paid.

13 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

What are you lot going on about?

VAT mate. Specifically the VAT on transfers (just so I can't be accused of derailing the thread). Anything wrong with that? ?

If anyone wants to read up on how strange UK VAT rules are, there is an actual documented court case regarding the tax status of Jaffa cakes.