oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2019/20 Season

39 minutes ago, boroie said:
2 hours ago, boroie said:

I'm interested in why we borrowed the money (twice) this summer? Did we need it to keep the lights on? 

Out of interest, anyone got any opinions here?

Cash flow most likely.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SDS, it’s Dijksteel at Rockliffe

For all those asking about these 4 players at rockcliffe just before weekend. I have done some digging appears it was bola Browne and 2 premiership loan players, sketchy with details but I believe the

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

1. Braithwaite wanting to be here, and when left out was ill.

"He's had a sickness and diarrhea bug which can't be helped,"

2. Definitely replacing Flint when we let him go.

"We'll get a replacement," he said.

3. That we'd address the lack of creativity and pace upfront.

"(We need) bits of pace in the team, in the attack, maybe a player who can link play up as a No.10.

He said: "We need players in different areas of the pitch, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out what we need - but we will get them players."

5. After Browne & Bola, he said the squad is thin and we'd sign a few.

“Hopefully there will be more,” he said. “Definitely (more) signings before transfer deadline day."

I know things change, but if stuff ain't 100% going to happen it's better to be honest and say nothing then lie to us. I'm happy with the sort of signings we are going for but we still ain't addressed what we've been told would be addressed for the last three windows. I hope these three outfield players come on leaps and bounds at us, but the fact is we are one or two injuries away from being in a terrible situation. I'd much rather Woodgate say nothing, then fill us will hope and false information.

Hopefully we'll sign 2 or 3 in January to give us some more depth and quality that we desperately need.

Give over mate. The club had targets that went elsewhere. Be glad they're not throwing money at more mercenaries like Braithwaite. If we have an injury crisis, guess what? Wood, Walker, Malley, Pears and others are going to get a chance, and why the *** not?

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

"(We need) bits of pace in the team, in the attack, maybe a player who can link play up as a No.10.

He said: "We need players in different areas of the pitch, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out what we need - but we will get them players."

“Hopefully there will be more,” he said. “Definitely (more) signings before transfer deadline day."

I know things change, but if stuff ain't 100% going to happen it's better to be honest and say nothing then lie to us. I'm happy with the sort of signings we are going for but we still ain't addressed what we've been told would be addressed for the last three windows. I hope these three outfield players come on leaps and bounds at us, but the fact is we are one or two injuries away from being in a terrible situation. I'd much rather Woodgate say nothing, then fill us will hope and false information.

Hopefully we'll sign 2 or 3 in January to give us some more depth and quality that we desperately need.

He should have just said “it is what it is” to every question instead of answering them. An entire summer of shrugging his shoulders. That way you can’t come afterwards calling him a liar. I think we should just send a cardboard figure of Woodgate to everything press related matter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Which of the other play off/promotion contenders had really good windows, when you also take into consideration the players they’ve lost?

wba have lost Gayle and Rodriguez, Fulham have lost Sessegnon, Brentford Maupay, sawyers and Konza. Leeds have lost Janssen and Roofe, Derby lost all their loan stars and still have Keogh in defence. Huddersfield have lost quite a few too namely Mooy, Zanka and Billing. And so on. We kept all the players we wanted especially our star players. While we didn’t have a perfect window neither did a lot of clubs and I’m sure quite a few supporters around the league can name positions where they are weak. 

I don’t think there is a standout team on paper just like last year so everything is certainly up for grabs. There are certainly not 8 teams that are definitely better than ours. 

Made me laugh, he's so *** hahah

woody said if he doesnt get the targets he wants he wont drop to 3-4-5th choice didnt he?

if we could have shifted shotton, saville, gestede etc we would have signed more i would imagine. not the recruitment teams fault that is it. but it may be their fault we signed them lol

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Borodane said:

He should have just said “it is what it is” to every question instead of answering them. An entire summer of shrugging his shoulders. That way you can’t come afterwards calling him a liar. I think we should just send a cardboard figure of Woodgate to everything press related matter. 

Woodgate is a Head coach not a manager, but because of his role he is the one getting asked questions that he clearly has input in but doesn’t have any real influence over the key off field decisions that effect his job.

I feel he was being open to answering questions as honestly as he could and based on the information he was being given.

unfortunately the real people who we need to be asking questions of don’t put themselves forward and are practised in giving non answers or frankly ignoring them completely.

Imo it’s time to think about getting a new CEO and whatever Bevington is as their records especially Bausers can only be answered from the information given out and frankly from recruitment to an effective stadium management it’s clear that Bauser has failed.

if this is because SG calls the shots and Bauser simply issues the orders then it’s time SG realised that he may like Bevington and Bauser but the club may not be able to accept their best efforts if we need to make every penny count and keep with our peers in offering the match day goers an upto date stadium experience and a team on the pitch that that is as successful as it can be.

56 minutes ago, ron_manager said:

Are you counting Snakethwaite as one of our attackers we've lost ?. He hasn't been a part of the team since Xmas. We've actually gained something by him leaving. Spirit. 

Who are the other tacking players we have lost? 

Spirit ? 

The attacking players we've lost are Braithwaite, Downing and Hugill.  I wasn't much of a fan of the latter two but they were part of the squad and they aren't any longer.  Braithwaite was easily our highest quality player.  Selling him was the right thing to do of course so no issue with that at all.  However we now have people talking up Assombalonga, Fletcher, Johnson, Browne and Gestede and I'm buggered if I can understand why?  Six months ago if you'd told anyone on here, including yourself, that those would be our attacking options for this season, precisely nobody would have been happy about it.  But now that we've failed to make any signings it's actually all good.  Seriously people, have a proper good think about that and be honest with yourselves as to what you'd have thought even at the start of the summer.  I've been reading the forum over the last few months and I don't remember anyone saying we were fine in those positions. 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

I know things change, but if stuff ain't 100% going to happen it's better to be honest and say nothing then lie to us. I'm happy with the sort of signings we are going for but we still ain't addressed what we've been told would be addressed for the last three windows... I'd much rather Woodgate say nothing, then fill us will hope and false information.

In fact, you know what - you're actually completely right.

With Braithwaite we should have just said he hates the club and drive any deal down to a base zero. Or, better still, announce that he's dead. That would maybe, but only maybe, have scared away any bidders.

And we all know we should have paid any amount to bring the players we need in. There's no reason to ever walk away from a deal. Ever. Find out what amount they want for us to pinch their player. And double it.

Bola. Dijksteel. Browne. They're practically wheelchair-ridden.

And don't get me started on Woodgate. Rumour has it he was the mastermind behind the "save £350m a week for the NHS" campaign to secure Brexit. Guy is a perpetual liar.

I for one hope our next manager is mute.

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

Come on now. His comments about Braithwaite were extremely standard for a player on the verge of leaving. In fact, this comment was actually pretty funny. Had more respect for Woodgate after he said that if anything.  We did address our attack and pace. We signed Browne and more attacking fullbacks - all appear to be at least fairly pacey. Okay, we didn't sign a centre back but I doubt it was for a lack of trying. Similarly, of course another forward would've been nice but to call Woodgate a liar for failing to get targets in seems pretty harsh. 

Woodgate was obviously making comments based very much on the current state of play. Look at his comments before Luton where he said he expected to have one in before the game. He was clearly talking about Dijksteel but for whatever reason it didn't happen before Luton. Dijksteel instead signed the week after. The state of play changes quickly, and I think Woodgate's comments in regards to the Dijksteel signing show he was being anything but dishonest.  I know your point is that if he wasn't 100% he shouldn't say anything at all, but him commenting when not 100% does not make him a liar.

Apologies for the long and wordy post, head's frazzled from refreshing this *** forum all day lol

9 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Which of the other play off/promotion contenders had really good windows, when you also take into consideration the players they’ve lost?

wba have lost Gayle and Rodriguez, Fulham have lost Sessegnon, Brentford Maupay, sawyers and Konza. Leeds have lost Janssen and Roofe, Derby lost all their loan stars and still have Keogh in defence. Huddersfield have lost quite a few too namely Mooy, Zanka and Billing. And so on. We kept all the players we wanted especially our star players. While we didn’t have a perfect window neither did a lot of clubs and I’m sure quite a few supporters around the league can name positions where they are weak. 

I don’t think there is a standout team on paper just like last year so everything is certainly up for grabs. There are certainly not 8 teams that are definitely better than ours. 

West Brom have improved their squad a lot imo - Furlong, Sawyers, Krovinovic, Willock, Burke's match fit after his loan, Pereira, Diangana, Austin and Zohore 

Diangana and Austin will prove to be far too good for this league 

Fulham's front 3 is ridiculous Cavleiro Mitrovic and Knockaert then added Arter to Tom Cairney in midfield

Brentford have made some quality signings and kept Benrahma and Watkins

Leeds Nketiah will prove to be a good loan signing I feel and Helder Costa is a very good signing

Sheff Wed have made some astute additions as well could be surprise top half for them

Same with Stoke they've made some good lowkey signings

Bristol City made some good signings

Cardiff will get it right as well, worried what Glatzel would do to us after watching us vs Luton teams like Cardiff will have a field day from set pieces vs us 

Then there's the likes of Forest, Derby, Huddersfield

Wigan could surprise a few, Swansea etc

The league's wide open like you say but for teams that have brought in players, we haven't brought the attackers we need in to finish any higher than 9/10th imo and our CB options are worrying tbh 

11 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

Give over mate. The club had targets that went elsewhere. Be glad they're not throwing money at more mercenaries like Braithwaite. If we have an injury crisis, guess what? Wood, Walker, Malley, Pears and others are going to get a chance, and why the *** not?

I agree but clearly the club don't or we wouldn't have been looking elsewhere.  The really odd thing is that it must be obvious to everyone that the club themselves aren't happy with the transfer window because they wanted to do more but couldn't.  Yet if someone on here says they aren't happy it's a big deal.  If you got Woodgate or Bausor or Gibson on here now, being completely honest, do people really think they'd say they were happy with the window?  I don't think there's a chance that they would.  They clearly wanted a few more players coming in and a few more going out.  I don't see what the problem is with acknowledging that.  I personally don't apportion any blame to anyone, I just don't think we had the window that we'd have hoped to have overall.

At some point, we have to stop solving our problems (or thinking we can solve our problems) by bringing in a bunch of new players. I'm disappointed that we didn't bring in another wide player, but we've kept a solid core group together and addressed our right and left back situations. Bring on the Bees!

It has been interesting in reading the transfer thread how we have all become accountants this window. The comments range from ‘glad he has gone we have saved 30k a week’ to ‘ what about the cash flow’ and ‘ we must be 10 million a year better off now’. All good responsible stuff but are you not slightly worried that the same people who are now leading this new age of financial responsibility are the same bunch who got us in this mess in the first place. In any other business they would have been carrying their cardboard boxes to the car park a long time ago. 

• Like 1
Just now, pikerman said:

It has been interesting in reading the transfer thread how we have all become accountants this window. The comments range from ‘glad he has gone we have saved 30k a week’ to ‘ what about the cash flow’ and ‘ we must be 10 million a year better off now’. All good responsible stuff but are you not slightly worried that the same people who are now leading this new age of financial responsibility are the same bunch who got us in this mess in the first place. In any other business they would have been carrying their cardboard boxes to the car park a long time ago. 

Yep. I've said it on here before and it still stands. My biggest fear about us going forward with this new model is not the model itself, but the fact that those who have proven themselves to be totally incompetent continue to have great influence.