oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2019/20 Season

I'm glad we've gone about it the way we have but we needed another 2 or 3 players for me, asking a lot from the existing players that are so use to such similar ways of playing. Likewise with the new players coming in to adapt to a higher standard of football.

I'm optimistic about the season and would be happy with Top 10 or so finish. But next summer is a real worry to with so many players out of contract, okay most of them we want rid off but then you've got big players like Britt & Randolph entering the final years of thier contracts, so no doubt we'll have to let them go quite cheap.

• Like 1
  • Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SDS, it’s Dijksteel at Rockliffe

For all those asking about these 4 players at rockcliffe just before weekend. I have done some digging appears it was bola Browne and 2 premiership loan players, sketchy with details but I believe the

Posted Images

Not to be rude but can people stop bloody whining on that we're going to finish mid-table or worse, we've played ONE game. Would you prefer to be watching Pulis' Boro or this one, which yes, could completely fail but I also believe there's a lot of potential there. Have faith in the squad and the coaching staff, they need our backing!

Edited by Ash
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

As a discussion point another window goes by without us making serious efforts to sign from abroad and I don't count someone claiming Bausors jetsetting the globe on a forum as anything, we ended up paying more for a League 1 left back with 12 months left than Swansea paid for a 1 in 4 ST/LW/RW from the Eredivisie!

If we're emulating low budget young signings we'll need to start utilizing the foreign market, I rate Marc Bola and Dijksteel but we have paid top whack for them I hope it pays off. My 1 gripe is the domestic only policy I hoped the Becker link in June meant we were broadening our horizon again sadly as it turns out we have not.

• Like 4

the days of having senior squad players not in the match squad are over. never should have happened in the first place. unless we are in the premier league having such an excess of players is BAD.

you think shotton has been told hes behind ayala and fry in pecking order and will be a reserve cb? makes sense why he'd go to wigan. for first team football.

i'm pleased with the window. other clubs have gone daft. fulham are signing striker and attacking midfielders but cant defend lol. they'll struggle to keep a clean sheet all season.

west brom signed that west ham lad diangana(sp) on loan. we got browne on a perm for peanuts, who some of their fans rated higher. canny bit of business that like. our front 3 isnt without flaws but on its day we'll bang a few in. bola and dijksteel on the flanks. we are going to look like a proper team again. 

i think are are going up me like. nothing to fear all the other teams have their weaknesses to. but we are only highlighting our own. typical boro fans, including me after a good britt bash the other day. but he deserved it after the luton game the balloon head

utb.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Ash said:

Not to be rude but can people stop bloody whining on that we're going to finish mid-table or worse, we've played ONE game. Would you prefer to be watching Pulis' Boro or this one, which yes, could could completely fail but I also believe there's a lot of potential there. Have faith in the squad and the coaching staff, they need our backing!

it was the same last summer, mostly tipped to be battling relegation. we finished 7th. so finishing mid table by the bedwetters probably puts us top 4 ? 

• Like 1

I think if there was a measure of success as to how this window went, it would probably be sat about in the middle, maybe a bit more towards the good end. Think people both here and at the club are going to have to move on quickly from the disappointments and focus as much on the positives as we can.

Don't think anyone truly believes that we've had a perfect window by any means. But we have done some of what we set out to achieve in a market we ultimately made more difficult for ourselves over the last couple of years. The players we have brought in fit the bill as to what the manager wanted philosophically, whether or not they work out is yet to be seen but that was pretty much guaranteed given the type of players we were after anyway.

And again, we've shifted some high earners out without really losing any quality that was on offer to us last year. Braithwaite in particular, getting as much as we did for him whilst shifting his wages was great. We all know any hopes of him delivering were close to nonexistent. Flint is the next decent deal, if we could have replaced him and Shotton then that would have been better but hey, Wood is clearly seen as someone the club wants around the first team. The lad looks physically about as ready as you can get at that age for first team football too, for me.

Think this window would be deemed significantly worse had we lost Fry and or Britt late on too. Considering some interest throughout, it was also great to keep Randolph. Think losing any of those without replacing them would have been dreadful. As it is, we haven't ended up losing anyone we wanted to keep. That is surely a positive.

So essentially, the window comes down to us not getting enough in and not shifting one or two others out, Shotton and Saville seemingly. That's about it, really. Still, not sure why anyone would have expected for more than that. Hoped, sure. Expected, nah.

• Like 5

Don’t get me wrong we’ve made some vital additions but it’s quite remarkable that we’ve yet again not addressed the wide positions. This must have been the 6th Deadline we’ve gone into with optimism of signing some wingers and we still haven’t. It’s taken away a large degree of optimism for the season in general for me personally as well. Disappointing again really.  

• Like 2

I’m not too annoyed that we didn’t spend big - think we are a bit short for cash and it is Gibson’s money to spend.

However, can we please address the obvious problem with our recruitment - we have been missing attacking creative players for years now. Every window we go into it saying we know what we need to do and every window we fail to sign more than one. At some point the club need to get a grip and either change the scouting strategy (to find earlier stage players) or Gibson needs to get some better negotiators in (or both). The less money we have to spend the more important it is we get it right.

Anyway - It’s not the end of the world and I still think we can push for playoffs - which I can take with a few youth players coming in and some attacking football. Especially as there are a few deadweight players on the wage bill that we need to shift before we invest heavily. (It is what it is...)

Just now, CWC said:

Don’t get me wrong we’ve made some vital additions but it’s quite remarkable that we’ve yet again not addressed the wide positions. This must have been the 6th Deadline we’ve gone into with optimism of signing some wingers and we still haven’t. It’s taken away a large degree of optimism for the season in general for me personally as well. Disappointing again really.  

BROWN IS A WINGER

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

it was the same last summer, mostly tipped to be battling relegation. we finished 7th. so finishing mid table by the bedwetters probably puts us top 4 ? 

Can you imagine the scenes (or the silence) ?

Just to clarify for everyone, of course you are allowed to have your own opinion but I just think it's riduculous to be kicking up a fuss so early. Please just get behind them and see how we are further into the season!

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

West Brom have improved their squad a lot imo - Furlong, Sawyers, Krovinovic, Willock, Burke's match fit after his loan, Pereira, Diangana, Austin and Zohore 

Diangana and Austin will prove to be far too good for this league 

Fulham's front 3 is ridiculous Cavleiro Mitrovic and Knockaert then added Arter to Tom Cairney in midfield

Brentford have made some quality signings and kept Benrahma and Watkins

Leeds Nketiah will prove to be a good loan signing I feel and Helder Costa is a very good signing

Sheff Wed have made some astute additions as well could be surprise top half for them

Same with Stoke they've made some good lowkey signings

Bristol City made some good signings

Cardiff will get it right as well, worried what Glatzel would do to us after watching us vs Luton teams like Cardiff will have a field day from set pieces vs us 

Then there's the likes of Forest, Derby, Huddersfield

Wigan could surprise a few, Swansea etc

The league's wide open like you say but for teams that have brought in players, we haven't brought the attackers we need in to finish any higher than 9/10th imo and our CB options are worrying tbh 

WBA -I’ll give you Austin and Sawyers. Zohore is a massive downgrade on gayle and Jay. The rest of their signings are rather unknown a gambles like our signings and Burke hasn’t shown anything for years now. On top they’ve lost Dawson in defence and even before that they were shocking in defence. 

Fulham - best front three in this league no doubt and a good central midfield but I’m not sure about the squad. Massive turnover of players in recent years and look very suspect defensively. 

Brentford - key signings are Ligue 2 and have already lost three of their most important players and have changed keepers. Huge gamble and will probably do what they always do which is fall short due to massive changes. 

Leeds - I have forgotten about costa which is obviously great but bamford is their only striker over 20 years. Nketiah has played 10 senior games in his career! Defensively they’ve lost their best defender and are also very thin in that area. 

Sheffield - some good signings and they could surprise.

cardiff - will probably be up there due to Warnock and a decent team. 

Bristol - as you say some decent signings and they may finally get a play off spot. 

Stoke - have a decent team on paper but I’m not fancying them. It’ll be more of the same this season. Maybe a sneak into the play offs as they are a year wiser. 

Derby, Huddersfield, forest and so on have had a poor window when you compare to last season. 

All in all I don’t think any team can say they’ve had perfect windows because all have lost key players and have to hope that the new players will contribute enough. At least we held on to our stars and have a few youngsters of our own to blood in instead of a 20 year old loanee. 

1 hour ago, Borodane said:

Which of the other play off/promotion contenders had really good windows, when you also take into consideration the players they’ve lost?

wba have lost Gayle and Rodriguez, Fulham have lost Sessegnon, Brentford Maupay, sawyers and Konza. Leeds have lost Janssen and Roofe, Derby lost all their loan stars and still have Keogh in defence. Huddersfield have lost quite a few too namely Mooy, Zanka and Billing. And so on. We kept all the players we wanted especially our star players. While we didn’t have a perfect window neither did a lot of clubs and I’m sure quite a few supporters around the league can name positions where they are weak. 

I don’t think there is a standout team on paper just like last year so everything is certainly up for grabs. There are certainly not 8 teams that are definitely better than ours. 

Thank you borodane this post has stopped me from topping myself, there is a little bit of hope we can challenge this season, i agree maybe alot of teams are not quite as strong as we think, you saved my life ??

Decent window , shifted unsustainable wages off the books , brought in promising young talent in areas we needed and have a plan on how we want to play.

Agree we could have done with more attackers and we are probably a bit thin on the ground  but IMO we are in a better place than last season

Oh and give me Woodys optimism over Boolis glasshalfempty anyday

• Thanks 3
3 minutes ago, Boro 86 said:

Decent window , shifted unsustainable wages off the books , brought in promising young talent in areas we needed and have a plan on how we want to play.

Agree we could have done with more attackers and we are probably a bit thin on the ground  but IMO we are in a better place than last season

Oh and give me Woodys optimism over Boolis glasshalfempty anyday

Pulis would have blamed Brit for another striker not wanting to come in. 

• Haha 1