oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2019/20 Season

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

Really? They've changed their tune a bit. Just need to look at this place last week to get a consensus on how most felt about him.

That Luton game was the best I've seen him play though, the most involved he was anyway. I said a week or so ago that we may need to give him another chance as a necessity and given the way the window has ended, that's even more true now. He's started well, got the first oneBoro MOTM of the season, we've got him now so we may as well see if he can continue to prove us wrong.

Certainly think he's better off on the right than we've ever seen on the left.

I'm just so salty and disheartened at not signing a wide player especially after so many links 

I just hope Browne nails down the right wing position and Fletcher can become more involved from the left than he was at Luton

It's sort of ironic that in 2017/18 we complained about signing Fletcher to play Monk's 4-3-3 when he clearly wasn't a winger but now he'll be starting for us most of the season as a winger in a 4-3-3

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SDS, it’s Dijksteel at Rockliffe

For all those asking about these 4 players at rockcliffe just before weekend. I have done some digging appears it was bola Browne and 2 premiership loan players, sketchy with details but I believe the

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Effectively the same recruitment team that spent £50m two years ago as we soaked up what Championship talent we could is still managing our transfer business. Them that brought in £40m for 3 players last year spent £20m of that on 3 other players we brought in, and we certainly got less than half the talent.

Working on a shoestring budget is clearly not their forte. It would seem unless we can walk into a room and blow clubs, players and agents away with huge sums of money, we're just not that good overall.

Which is why I've got very little hope for the club, we've got the same people calling the shots who have made mistake after mistake. 

If we brought some talented scouts in during the summer and an experienced director of football I would have bought into the hype like everyone else. 

Just now, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

I'm just so salty and disheartened at not signing a wide player especially after so many links 

I just hope Browne nails down the right wing position and Fletcher can become more involved from the left than he was at Luton

It's sort of ironic that in 2017/18 we complained about signing Fletcher to play Monk's 4-3-3 when he clearly wasn't a winger but now he'll be starting for us most of the season as a winger in a 4-3-3

I mean, we didn't play with wingers under Monk until he changed to 4-2-3-1. It was Braithwaite, Britt and Fletcher/Bamford to start the season. They weren't playing as wide men. I still remember that Augsburg game, the final pre-season friendly, the front 3 were quite close together with Braithwaite more of a free-roamer.

I don't think we particularly play with both sides having wingers in the system we're playing now either (though I'll admit, it's still early days, still getting used to the system), it seems similar in that respect to Monk's 4-3-3. Width is provided by the full-backs going forward by and large. Johnson was still more akin to a winger I guess against Luton. Fletcher really wasn't though, part of why Coulson looked so exposed is Fletch clearly wasn't tracking back as much. Either that's just Fletcher or it was tactical and they wanted to keep him higher up, closer to Britt and have someone else try to cover Coulson.

22 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

I mean he got a goal an assist and should've had another with his backheel pass, seemed fairly involved to me!

We've also gone from smash the league pressure to just finish in the top 10. Monk tore up his tactical plan pretty quick, we've got a bit of time to get used to it. 

Monk didn't really have a plan at all. His idea was to throw a lot of money at players that looked good on paper and hoped it worked out. He was like a kid in a sweetshop with money to burn. 

Key this season is wether the players truly buy in to what woodgate is selling.

If they fight and have a bit about them I think we could do surprise a few. Look at Sheff Utd last season. Hull for the last however many season despite what’s gone on off the pitch.

We’ve tried the throw money at it approach now it’s time for the grit. #UTB

Think the question is are we stronger than last season?  The players that have left how many are we going to really miss? hopefully the players we have brought in are going to be a big improvement on the way we play and will fit into the team.

As it stands still think we have the makings of a decent team with a good core, in Randolph, Fry, Ayala, Clayton, Wing and Britt, as the spine of the team, see what the likes of browne, Bola and Dijksteel offer we might not be far off. UTB

• Like 1

The window has been ok is my true view. Could have been better had we signed 1 or 2 more attacking players but equally could have been worse had we still had MB wages and lost key players which we have retained.

What I am happy about is we now have a proper RB at the club which we not had for years and some genuine competition at left back again which we not had for years so 2 very key positions sorted.

Further I also happy that there is not as much "dead wood" so to speak within the squad as there was.

Whilst it would be nice, you cant solve all your problems in one window so hopefully in Jan we can sort 1 or 2 more key positions. 

At least we signed players in positions we needed. And not just added more players in positions we did not need and thus create an unbalanced team like previously.

Stay positive. Come Jan if we are around 7th or 8th i will be happy.

Finally can i say a big thank you to all those people who shared information they get regarding transfers.  

It makes a huge difference to the board in terms of creating discussion amongst us all.

Big thanks again. Info is very much appreciated. 

• Like 4

I'm quietly optimistic, cleared down the wages bill as much as we could, think with a smaller group we may have to blood some youngsters earlier than I would like but given what we have i can see a top 10 finish as a minimum though I think we'll suffer some ups and downs due to the change in philosophy.

As has been said, thanks to every one who shared with a special emphasis on the few with contacts within the club. 

onwards and upwards. UTB

Wonder if we’ll look at any free-agents? Hutton was linked and is still without a club and there’s a couple decent wingers that still don’t have teams either. 

53 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I mean, we didn't play with wingers under Monk until he changed to 4-2-3-1. It was Braithwaite, Britt and Fletcher/Bamford to start the season. They weren't playing as wide men. I still remember that Augsburg game, the final pre-season friendly, the front 3 were quite close together with Braithwaite more of a free-roamer.

I don't think we particularly play with both sides having wingers in the system we're playing now either (though I'll admit, it's still early days, still getting used to the system), it seems similar in that respect to Monk's 4-3-3. Width is provided by the full-backs going forward by and large. Johnson was still more akin to a winger I guess against Luton. Fletcher really wasn't though, part of why Coulson looked so exposed is Fletch clearly wasn't tracking back as much. Either that's just Fletcher or it was tactical and they wanted to keep him higher up, closer to Britt and have someone else try to cover Coulson.

Even Johnson was inverted, he was left footed playing on the right, did a lot of cutting in, not a hugging the touchline traditional winger that's for sure.

How funny is it that the one window, where we thought we’d have to make full use of the loan market, due to how skint we are, is the one window where we don’t even sign one loan player..

4 hours ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

Just want to apologise that some of the info I gave didn't come to fruition etc. Personally I think we are short in places but glad we haven't blown money we don't have. No expectations from me for this season. Just looking forward to the roller coaster. For those who PMd today I didn't respond because I didn't have anything to give you.

No apologies needed, Thankyou for passing on what you were given - made the window more exciting. 

UTB

Edited by Randy Sandwich
  • Like 2