Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SDS, it’s Dijksteel at Rockliffe

For all those asking about these 4 players at rockcliffe just before weekend. I have done some digging appears it was bola Browne and 2 premiership loan players, sketchy with details but I believe the

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

How funny is it that the one window, where we thought we’d have to make full use of the loan market, due to how skint we are, is the one window where we don’t even sign one loan player..

Haha very true. Which shows maybe there a long term plan in place

• Like 2

Playing devil's advocate for a minute, do you have to go to the games to be allowed an opinion? I only get to a few matches each season, but I still follow the team, player performances and managerial tactics fairly closely, so I wouldn't like to think my opinion is invalid.

Edit: in response to RS's post specifically, not just a random question!

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, CWC said:

Wonder if we’ll look at any free-agents? Hutton was linked and is still without a club and there’s a couple decent wingers that still don’t have teams either. 

Which wingers u thinking of CWC?

Dont want Hutton. Got Djiksteel and Howson and Shotton can play there too. Dont want Hutton taking up an unnecessary wage

Just now, camsells9 said:

Think the question is are we stronger than last season?  The players that have left how many are we going to really miss? hopefully the players we have brought in are going to be a big improvement on the way we play and will fit into the team.

As it stands still think we have the makings of a decent team with a good core, in Randolph, Fry, Ayala, Clayton, Wing and Britt, as the spine of the team, see what the likes of browne, Bola and Dijksteel offer we might not be far off. UTB

Sometimes you focus on what you dont have rather than the assets you do. It looks like the senior pros are buying into Woodgates philosophy and the new squad members have been picked because they can definitely play the pressing football we want to see. I think its obvious we wanted another wide man, but if push comes to shove Coulsen could be pushed up with Bola coming in as left back. Possibly not acceptable to some but it is a viable option from what I have seen of him. They are both young and will be inconsistent but we will need to accept that. Its easy to say in hindsight but with a forward line probably on a combined £100k per week were we ever going to add to that without shifting one out.  The squad is obviously less bloated and Woodgate will have to use the youngsters to keep things fresh, but he has added genuine full backs and width which we lacked last year so that is a positive. Yes the squad still has weak areas but we obviously aren’t in a position to address all of that. Next year 6 senior pros on big money are out of contract, with Britt, Fletcher and Randolph coming into their final year so I would assume we will have more wiggle room to add. This window has reinforced were we are as a club. The last 2 years have been a missed opportunity.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Playing devil's advocate for a minute, do you have to go to the games to be allowed an opinion? I only get to a few matches each season, but I still follow the team, player performances and managerial tactics fairly closely, so I wouldn't like to think my opinion is invalid.

Of course you are allowed an opinion! 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ash said:

Not to be rude but can people stop bloody whining on that we're going to finish mid-table or worse, we've played ONE game. Would you prefer to be watching Pulis' Boro or this one, which yes, could completely fail but I also believe there's a lot of potential there. Have faith in the squad and the coaching staff, they need our backing!

I am expecting us to finish mid-table, but that does not automatically mean that I am whining or that I don't have faith in our coaches and players. I think that we have had a better transfer window than I expected. I thought we would lose a number of key players (Randolf, Wing, Fry and possibly Britt) and am really pleased that we haven't. Browne is looking like a good signing and I am hopeful about Bola and Dijksteel too. I wasn't expecting any big name signings.

I am happy for us to finish mid-table this year. We are introducing big changes to our playing style/philosophy and that will take time to bed in. I don't think it would be in our best interests to get promoted this year - we need to build solid foundations first to have any chance of surviving in the premier league and the boom/bust cycle of premier league promotion/relegation does not provide the longer term stability we need. Let's get our playing style, finances and stability sorted in the Championship so that we can then have a decent go in the premier league if/when we get there in the future. 

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

I would say your opinion is still valid though your arguments may lack some substance. Its hard to get a point across about player performance if you have not seen it. I for example fell into the trap of thinking woodgate was a drug fuelled neanderthal who should not be in charge of the club as my opinion was influenced by other people. When I heard the man and have seen his team play I know I was wrong. Contribute your opinion though as thats what sparks a good discussion.

• Like 1

I think we had 4 positions we needed to improve on and we’ve done 3 of those.

From players we’ve lost I don’t think it’ll impact on us. 

We’ve kept our most important players whilst balancing the books.

I know people want deadline day to be fun but look at the window objectively and we’ve done well. 

• Like 10
8 minutes ago, White Band said:

I am expecting us to finish mid-table, but that does not automatically mean that I am whining or that I don't have faith in our coaches and players. I think that we have had a better transfer window than I expected. I thought we would lose a number of key players (Randolf, Wing, Fry and possibly Britt) and am really pleased that we haven't. Browne is looking like a good signing and I am hopeful about Bola and Dijksteel too. I wasn't expecting any big name signings.

I am happy for us to finish mid-table this year. We are introducing big changes to our playing style/philosophy and that will take time to bed in. I don't think it would be in our best interests to get promoted this year - we need to build solid foundations first to have any chance of surviving in the premier league and the boom/bust cycle of premier league promotion/relegation does not provide the longer term stability we need. Let's get our playing style, finances and stability sorted in the Championship so that we can then have a decent go in the premier league if/when we get there in the future. 

After years of advocating that the result is everything I am trying to rewire my thinking into the performance and entertainment is what it is about now. Ultimately I want us in the prem because of the exposure it gives us but I love the 46 game championship. I am coming round to just enjoying the ride for the next year or two.

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I know people want deadline day to be fun but look at the window objectively and we’ve done well. 

Yes. We are not in a position to build Rome in a day.

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I just want a definitively better squad and we haven't really got that at this stage.  I've no idea why people need to infer that people who are disappointed are just being silly.  I couldn't give a crap about deadline day fun.  I'm a Boro fan looking to watch the best team I can and I don't believe we have that right now.  What's more, nobody else believes it either, even if lots of people appear to be trying to convince themselves otherwise.  I'm confident I'll see more entertaining football this season than last and thus I'll enjoy watching us more this season than last.  I'm not convinced we've got a better squad than last season and I'm absolutely sure the club wanted to do a lot more than they did.  You're ITK so you'll have a better idea than me but I don't believe for a second that we weren't looking to bring in at least a few new players over the last couple of days.  We weren't doing that on a whim, we were doing it to improve the squad.

24 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

No mate you certainly don't have to go to the games to be allowed an opinion - in fact you have an opinion which I respect regardless. 

But I'm allowed an opinion too and my opinion is some people are moaning way to much, calling Woodgate a liar, the recruitment team useless yet don't put one penny towards our club - so my opinion is if you don't even spend a few quid to see the Boro stop whining about what we spend and don't spend when you spend nothing yourself - just my opinion mate. 

• Like 2

A few evenings back when everyone lost their collective *** that we were going to lose Fry and Assombalonga, I meant to put a question on and basically ask if people would be happy to have no further incomings if it meant we hung onto both and Randolph. I forgot to do it in the end, but I suspect most people would have been fairly happy with that scenario. We definitely look like we're still lacking, but I don't think any right sided winger that we could have signed would have made up for selling any of the three aforementioned.
I think we'll end up seeing Tavernier used as a wide player now, and possibly Coulson too. The situation isn't ideal, but we have enough versatile players that we can cope with injuries in most positions (in terms of numbers, if not quality).

That said, I hope we are scouring the free agent market. There are half-decent wingers still about. Even someone like Hutton on a pay-as-you-play would make a certain amount of sense.  

Edit: I agree with CT though - the squad is not definitively better than last seasons. But with the suggestions of financial restraints from way back in May, I was braced for sales that haven't really happened in a damaging way, and the players we've brought in are gambles, of course, but after 18 months of Pulis, a bit of dice-rolling is quite welcome.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Tom said:

A few evenings back when everyone lost their collective *** that we were going to lose Fry and Assombalonga, I meant to put a question on and basically ask if people would be happy to have no further incomings if it meant we hung onto both and Randolph. I forgot to do it in the end, but I suspect most people would have been fairly happy with that scenario. We definitely look like we're still lacking, but I don't think any right sided winger that we could have signed would have made up for selling any of the three aforementioned.
I think we'll end up seeing Tavernier used as a wide player now, and possibly Coulson too. The situation isn't ideal, but we have enough versatile players that we can cope with injuries in most positions (in terms of numbers, if not quality).

That said, I hope we are scouring the free agent market. There are half-decent wingers still about. Even someone like Hutton on a pay-as-you-play would make a certain amount of sense.  

Keeping Fry for the next few years to see if Woodgates pressing style can bring us some success is vital to me. I personally would not have been too fussed about Britt and Randolph, not because of their ability but I just don't think we can afford them.