Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SDS, it’s Dijksteel at Rockliffe

For all those asking about these 4 players at rockcliffe just before weekend. I have done some digging appears it was bola Browne and 2 premiership loan players, sketchy with details but I believe the

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Prowler said:

*** it, if it's true, sell him for that. 

£9m is a lot for someone who just has potential at the moment. Add in a sell on clause and wish him the best. 

I feel like I ask this question a lot but here goes again. People seem to say a lot about getting good offers for players who aren't worth that value yet. Do you think we'd spend the supposed £9m well? I presume we wouldn't because for one, we have a terrible history of spending good money recently and for two, money we receive for players who aren't earning that much might just get burnt into paying another player's wages, someone who we could sell for a similar amount. I don't think we'd see anywhere near that much straight away too, I don't think we'd guarantee ourselves of any sell-on bonus too when the buying club has a full set of centre-backs and will only increase his value by loaning him out. Gibson must have dropped in value since we sold him to them and he's already at a level where he should probably be playing in the Prem, week in, week out.

I think further evidence is the fee we got for Gibson and the supposed asking price for Fry. We've had some quality centre-backs come through the ranks and evidence I've seen of Wood would show we've got yet another. Would you have sold Fry for £9m a couple of years ago? Gibson for £9m when he was out at loan at lower league clubs? I presume you would as those are similar situations. And yet I'd say arguably both situations we'd have been kicking ourselves for selling at that value earlier in their careers, knowing their value now.

I think as well that if you look at the teams who are developing players, like Brentford. They're not throwing players away at the first sign of a decent profit. They seem to be maxing them out for a year or so, really getting the best out of them before negotiating a higher price. If we're to believe our club can develop players like Wood and make some money out of them if needs be, selling for £9m at this stage in his development seems a bit premature to me.

If 9 million would allow us to sign two good attackers then I’d seriously consider it. Wages wise it probably wouldn’t be that easy as it would be a sizeable increase. 

I get what you are saying about the potential and how it’s good we didn’t sell Gibson and fry years back. However, at that time we didnt need money as much as we do now. 

Wilson hits the nail on the head  regarding any supposed influxes of funds due to selling  sought after players.  ive seen very little evidence of us spending well in recent years.  Yes theres a couple of exceptions that you could highlight but they are by far outweighed by others ranging from not great to horrendous.

1 hour ago, Borodane said:

If 9 million would allow us to sign two good attackers then I’d seriously consider it. Wages wise it probably wouldn’t be that easy as it would be a sizeable increase. 

I get what you are saying about the potential and how it’s good we didn’t sell Gibson and fry years back. However, at that time we didnt need money as much as we do now. 

It won't though, will it. This is exactly what Wilson is saying. Do you trust anyone related to this club to spend that money wisely on two good attackers?

7 hours ago, Brunners said:

It won't though, will it. This is exactly what Wilson is saying. Do you trust anyone related to this club to spend that money wisely on two good attackers?

We can’t just stop trying to progress all together just because we’ve recruited poorly previously. We have glaring holes in the attack that needs rectifying and money obviously need to be raised to do that. That’s just the harsh reality we’re in. 

1 hour ago, Borodane said:

We can’t just stop trying to progress all together just because we’ve recruited poorly previously. We have glaring holes in the attack that needs rectifying and money obviously need to be raised to do that. That’s just the harsh reality we’re in. 

Is selling one of our best potential players at an offer relatively lower than that we've received for the other 2 lads in his same position the kind of progress we want to see? And what benefit does selling Wood for £9m now have over waiting 2-3 years before thinking about accepting an offer for him? Does raising money to buy new attackers this season seem like a lot of sense right now? Those glaring holes you mention, are we in desperate need of filling them? Given the front 3 we have right now has been relatively effective too.

I thought a lot of us had accepted that promotion was a bit of a pipe dream and unless we come to January in a great position, there's very little point in making any rash transfer decisions. Selling someone we don't need to sell to raise money for anything is a hugely rash decision, more rash than say, selling Britt because we don't think we'll be able to afford his wages after next summer.

• Like 4
On 9/8/2019 at 11:58 AM, Borodane said:

It won't get us one good attacker let alone two. It may get us two league one attackers but thats it.

1 hour ago, ladyspite said:

9 million would have gotten us Isak .... ?

Plenty of good attackers in europe that you can get cheaper than leauge 1 players....

Aye, but as has been made kind of clear, we're seemingly not even aware of them.

On 9/7/2019 at 7:13 PM, wilsoncgp said:

I feel like I ask this question a lot but here goes again. People seem to say a lot about getting good offers for players who aren't worth that value yet. Do you think we'd spend the supposed £9m well? I presume we wouldn't because for one, we have a terrible history of spending good money recently and for two, money we receive for players who aren't earning that much might just get burnt into paying another player's wages, someone who we could sell for a similar amount. I don't think we'd see anywhere near that much straight away too, I don't think we'd guarantee ourselves of any sell-on bonus too when the buying club has a full set of centre-backs and will only increase his value by loaning him out. Gibson must have dropped in value since we sold him to them and he's already at a level where he should probably be playing in the Prem, week in, week out.

I think further evidence is the fee we got for Gibson and the supposed asking price for Fry. We've had some quality centre-backs come through the ranks and evidence I've seen of Wood would show we've got yet another. Would you have sold Fry for £9m a couple of years ago? Gibson for £9m when he was out at loan at lower league clubs? I presume you would as those are similar situations. And yet I'd say arguably both situations we'd have been kicking ourselves for selling at that value earlier in their careers, knowing their value now.

I think as well that if you look at the teams who are developing players, like Brentford. They're not throwing players away at the first sign of a decent profit. They seem to be maxing them out for a year or so, really getting the best out of them before negotiating a higher price. If we're to believe our club can develop players like Wood and make some money out of them if needs be, selling for £9m at this stage in his development seems a bit premature to me.

You've nailed it regarding wages as Wood be on youth wages so selling him for 9 million will not add much to the budget as we can't really go out and buy an attacking player on 20k a week which people are advocating

3 hours ago, DurhamRed said:

You've nailed it regarding wages as Wood be on youth wages so selling him for 9 million will not add much to the budget as we can't really go out and buy an attacking player on 20k a week which people are advocating

cant you do as you do on FM lol adjust the  wage budget when you get money from sales? ?

1 hour ago, ladyspite said:

cant you do as you do on FM lol adjust the  wage budget when you get money from sales? ?

The trouble is we don't want to get into the cycle of needing to sell players to cover wage bill 

Ok this is one from left field but a player I would like to see Boro sign in January is Jack Byrne from Shamrock Rovers. I had seen him in the League of Ireland but didn’t know if he could step up. His performance in the last half hour for Ireland against Bulgaria tells me that he absolutely can. I would hope that Robbie Keane will be all over it. He would cost around 300k at most and is a very clever and skillful playmaker.

• Like 2