oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2019/20 Season

Not entirely sure why Steve Gibson is getting such a slating on here. Yes he has performed poorly as a chairman last few years but are we just going to wipe out all the good times he has given us in his 33yrs here? Not to mention the fact without him we would not have a club. Am not just talking about him saving us in 86 but the fact he has on numerous occasions ploughed his own cash in to club to cover short falls.

And for those who are leaning towards wanting a sale. Can i just kindly remind you what happened to other clubs of out size who went from having a local owner to owners who lack that connection. I.e Bolton, Charlton and Blackburn. Now others might point to success of Wolves but to be perfectly honest the failures outweigh the success.

Steve Gibson might not be best chairman in world but you would be hard pressed to find a chairman who gives a sh*t as much as ours. Whilst we are underperforming, i can sleep easy at night knowing with him at the helm the chances of us playing at a level below championship/not existing full stop are much less than if someone else was here.

• Like 4
  • Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SDS, it’s Dijksteel at Rockliffe

For all those asking about these 4 players at rockcliffe just before weekend. I have done some digging appears it was bola Browne and 2 premiership loan players, sketchy with details but I believe the

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Foogle said:

I'd say completely the opposite, we're already looking to go into the season with only 18 "senior" players in the squad as it is and that is including the young players like Fry Tav and Wing. We'd effectively purge about 3m total getting rid of 6 players off the wage bill for that and would effectively write off the season unless no one got injured.

Some of these senior players aren't going to be used much and Fry, Tav and Wing might be young but they are arguably better players than some of their senior colleagues so what does their age matter?  If we got 6 of those players of the wage bill then we could conceivably reduce the wage bill by the best part of £10m this year - that's £10m extra we don't have to waste for another year.  I don't know what the £3m refers to there, if you mean we'd bring in £3m in transfer fees then great that closes the gap even more.

I don't post on here often, but spend a lot of time reading/lurking. I find this situation totally fascinating (and not particularly enjoyable). How many bad decisions have lead us down this path?

From that January transfer window in the Prem, we have thrown good money after bad on poor transfers, paying over the odds, long term contracts on high wages. Then when we have "sold" players, we haven't been getting money up front and settling for installments, I find it so hard to believe that a big club (relative to football in its entirety) has bad so many bad decisions over a relatively short period of time. It is not that long ago we were out celebrating promotion to the Premier League after the "£120 million match".

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

Think we lose 4 or 5 first teamers

Think I will lose all hope for the upcoming season and possibly beyond if this is the state of play. Really, what's the point?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, "KM" said:

Think I will lose all hope for the upcoming season and possibly beyond if this is the state of play. Really, what's the point?

Think you need to lower your expectations about where we are and be realistic.

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Some of these senior players aren't going to be used much and Fry, Tav and Wing might be young but they are arguably better players than some of their senior colleagues so what does their age matter?  If we got 6 of those players of the wage bill then we could conceivably reduce the wage bill by the best part of £10m off the wage bill this year - that's £10m extra we don't have to waste for another year.  I don't know what the £3m refers to there, if you mean we'd bring in £3m in transfer fees then great that closes the gap even more.

I'd say the only player you mentioned that is on more than 1m a year is Braithwaite and he's obviously not one of the ones you'd let leave on a free transfer. £10m a year on 6 Championship players is just not a realistic figure...

1 minute ago, BoroJake said:

Let’s say we bring in about 40/50 million? We still won’t sign anyone. Gibson will probably pocket it all. Unbelievable how this club is being run. 

and he'd still be out of pocket over the piece

2 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Think you need to lower your expectations about where we are and be realistic.

Not like you to be optimistic. You're normally the most negative one. ?

Lower my expectations? All I want is for us to be challenging at the right end of the table by keeping hold of our best players. If we are having to sell 4/5 of our first team players even after the sales of Bamford, Gibson and Traore last summer then maybe we're not being told everything about the state of play at MFC. 

• Like 2
Just now, "KM" said:

Not like you to be optimistic. You're normally the most negative one. ?

Lower my expectations? All I want is for us to be challenging at the right end of the table by keeping hold of our best players. If we are having to sell 4/5 of our first team players even after the sales of Bamford, Gibson and Traore last summer then maybe we're not being told everything about the state of play at MFC. 

It’s unbelievable. Gibson should have straight up said that we have no money instead of pretending like we do

6 minutes ago, Foogle said:

I'd say the only player you mentioned that is on more than 1m a year is Braithwaite and he's obviously not one of the ones you'd let leave on a free transfer. £10m a year on 6 Championship players is just not a realistic figure...

my guess

20k = 1m McNair Saville

30k = 1.5m - shotton Clayts Ayala Friend

40k = 2m Britt

50k = 2.5m Braithwaite 

5 minutes ago, Foogle said:

Our wage bill in the Championship was nearly £50m mate.  If you think that we only have one player on more than £20k per week then I reckon you are massively mistaken.  Wage costs for the 2017-18 season were £43.19m with another £5.2m in social security costs.  I don't think you fully understand the position that the club are in.