Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SDS, it’s Dijksteel at Rockliffe

For all those asking about these 4 players at rockcliffe just before weekend. I have done some digging appears it was bola Browne and 2 premiership loan players, sketchy with details but I believe the

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:
2 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Does this mean the exciting new era isn't happening? 

No, I think this will just be an inevitable part of it.

Yes, think of it like getting a massive bit of chewing gum stuck in your hair and having to shave it all off. It's not really what you wanted, but you have to try and frame it as 'trying out a bold new look'

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, Tom said:

Yes, think of it like getting a massive bit of chewing gum stuck in your hair and having to shave it all off. It's not really what you wanted, but you have to try and frame it as 'trying out a bold new look'

??

(Drives NB4 mad this type of reply)

• Angry 1
13 minutes ago, Tom said:

Loads of teams to be honest.

Shotton is an experienced Championship player, and has been poor this year, but was also playing through an injury. I wouldn't mind us hanging onto him if we sold Fry, as an extra CB option.

I've been one of Flint's harshest critics, but he was still part of the best defence in the league last year (as was Shotton). Now I know that's a lot to do with Pulis' tactics, but the stats will speak for themselves, and before he came here, Flint was quite in-demand.

I think we are often guilty of reacting to a poor season by just saying that everyone who plays for us is awful. 

At the end of the day we've lost Hugill, Downing and Besic from a team that narrowly missed out on the playoffs under a manager who did a poor job. Yes, we need players, and could do with holding onto the better ones we have, but we can still put out a competitive Championship side. 

Flint is a year in to a 3 or 4 year contract, will be on big wages too. Plus he is 30 so would have no sell on value for his next club. Only way we would shift him would be taking a hit on his wages and accepting a considerably lower sum than we paid, which we can’t afford to do. Plus he’s just had an absolutely shocking season so why would anyone take a punt on him. 

Shotton is awful too but he wont be on the wage Flint is so we might have a chance with him. Certainly won’t get enough to make it worth selling him though

shouldn’t have signed either player though, no sell on value at all. Exact reason we are in this position 

10 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Oh I agree that the wage bill should have come down but I don't think it will be anywhere near the amount that we need it to come down by.  Christie and Forshaw left after a half season so only half of their wages count towards that amount and the wage bill would have been higher still had they been there for a full year.  We obviously had Braithwaite out on loan for half a season so only half of his would count towards it and unless we offload him then we'll have a full year this time around and he will be one of our highest paid players.  Downing, Traore, Bamford, Gibson and Leadbitter should have removed a decent chunk between them but it will probably only be the equal of what I'm talking about cutting from the wage bill and we have added to the wage bill at the same time with the signings of McNair, Saville and Flint.  McNair signed for Sunderland in the Premier League and he will be on decent money as will the other two.  Certainly not as much as we've reduced the wage bill by with those departures but enough to leave us still needing to make substantial cuts.  At a guess I'd say that the senior players here are all on at least about £20k per week and there will be a group who are on £30k+ per week.

Yeah I'm definitely not disputing that our wage bill is healthy looking at the moment, I just think it's not too panic-worthy as we know quite a few of those contracts will expire soon.

McNair signed in the prem but most contracts have relegation clauses of about 40% per division and he was only 23 when we signed him so I don't reckon he will be on that much here. Just seems nonsensical to be trying to reduce our overall wage bill but at the same time offering to quadruple these players wages. But then again not much has made sense in the last few years so you're probably right...

Why on earth would Burnley offer 20m for Fry?!

20million?!

Yes he’s is a good player and has potential but he’s hardly set the world alight. I don’t even think he’s been our best defender at any point. If he had another season with us, started every game and kept on kicking on then fair enough.

imo Gibson was (is?) a better player. 

16 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Does this mean the exciting new era isn't happening? 

Well I mean disaster movies are quite often exciting, but I think what we're witnessing at the club is more like a car crash test in ultra-slowmotion.

200.gif

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Why on earth would Burnley offer 20m for Fry?!

20million?!

Yes he’s is a good player and has potential but he’s hardly set the world alight. I don’t even think he’s been our best defender at any point. If he had another season with us, started every game and kept on kicking on then fair enough.

imo Gibson was (is?) a better player. 

Fry is a better all round player than Gibbo. He will go further than Gibbo in my opinion.

19 minutes ago, Foogle said:

Well I mean disaster movies are quite often exciting, but I think what we're witnessing at the club is more like a car crash test in ultra-slowmotion.

200.gif

Did you have to use a car dressed in a Sunderland shirt Foogle? ?

• Haha 3

So let me get this right, our exciting new era consists of selling our better players and not being able to compete with the likes of Wigan and Millwall for signings?

I am quite looking forward to seeing how the young kids get on though, maybe I am really hoping it's a blessing in disguise!