Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
Denzel Zanzibar

Summer Transfer Window 2019/20 Season

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

Yeah that's the trouble Boro don't really ever look outside the box like we should of looked at bringing Zlatan in with 32 Red as that would of caused an either bigger stir. I mean even Huddersfield did the paddy power stunt for some extra cash 

I'm honestly glad we're not part of the kind of circus 32Red are creating at Derby. Mel Morris seems to think it will make them money but it surely won't be as much as what you could do by developing a young player over 18-24 months. If Dijksteel, Bola or Browne get developed into a huge amount of talent, we'll likely make more from selling one of those than they make on the sponsorship deal and selling merchandise and whatnot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

Shouldn't that break our sponsorship contract thought I would of thought as it's unfair for 32 Red to be supposably supporting Derby more than the other championship clubs they sponsor. They should be remaining neural and supporting every club equally!

Each sponsorship deal is signed individually with each club so they can commit whatever they like to any club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'm honestly glad we're not part of the kind of circus 32Red are creating at Derby. Mel Morris seems to think it will make them money but it surely won't be as much as what you could do by developing a young player over 18-24 months. If Dijksteel, Bola or Browne get developed into a huge amount of talent, we'll likely make more from selling one of those than they make on the sponsorship deal and selling merchandise and whatnot.

Yeah I agree but just find it amazing how Derby continue to make a mockery of the EFL and FFP yet continue to get away with it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

Yeah I agree but just find it amazing how Derby continue to make a mockery of the EFL and FFP yet continue to get away with it! 

They are just clever and do it within the rules. Nothing to be upset about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Each sponsorship deal is signed individually with each club so they can commit whatever they like to any club.

I'm a bit fuzzy on FFP but is there not something in place that gives a sponsorship a "fair market value" so that the owners company can't say sponsor the stadium for a billion pounds to circumvent FFP. Would this not apply to the shirt sponsor too or are you allowed to individually increase sponsorship because of certain players? I mean they're certainly increasing the marketing value for 32 red with this stunt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Foogle said:

I'm a bit fuzzy on FFP but is there not something in place that gives a sponsorship a "fair market value" so that the owners company can't say sponsor the stadium for a billion pounds to circumvent FFP. Would this not apply to the shirt sponsor too or are you allowed to individually increase sponsorship because of certain players? I mean they're certainly increasing the marketing value for 32 red with this stunt. 

The fair market value will increase by signing a player of Rooney's stature in the game.  They'll be able to point out the increased commercial benefits from having Rooney playing for Derby, having Rooney wearing the 32 shirt and having 32Red involved with it.  Yeah of course they are increasing the marketing value for 32Red, that's the entire point of doing it and that's why it will be perfectly acceptable.  It's very savvy business from that perspective.  Whether it works from the footballing point of view remains to be seen though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Changing Times said:

The fair market value will increase by signing a player of Rooney's stature in the game.  They'll be able to point out the increased commercial benefits from having Rooney playing for Derby, having Rooney wearing the 32 shirt and having 32Red involved with it.  Yeah of course they are increasing the marketing value for 32Red, that's the entire point of doing it and that's why it will be perfectly acceptable.  It's very savvy business from that perspective.  Whether it works from the footballing point of view remains to be seen though.  

Yeah that's what I figured with the fair market value increasing as they can fairly easily prove that the stunt has increased brand awareness for 32 red etc. I don't think it's anywhere near as shifty or has anywhere near the impact of the stadium selling. Think Rooney will do alright in the Championship but not set the league alight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw this on FMTTM and those replying just made cheap jokes at what I think was an interesting question. Thought it might get a more sensible answer here

 

https://fansonline.net/middlesbrough/mb/view.php?id=5992325

asredasthecome wrote...

So just who were we in for. According to the Gazette most of those rumoured were not wanted. Probably Grady Diangana and Cameron Carter-Vickers who were both shown around Rockcliffe but went elsewhere but is that it.

Possibly Ryan Kent but no loan available and probably to expensive to buy.

Gazette said.....
"Several names were mentioned but links with Nahki Wells of Burnley and Southampton's Mohamed Elyounoussi were dismissed by club sources.
Jordon Ibe was another player linked but was not understood to have been on Boro's radar. In any case, noises from Bournemouth claimed he didn't want to move to the North-East, with Newcastle also interested.
Fleetwood's Wes Burns was a name that cropped up throughout the final week of the window but Town's assistant boss Clint Hill said there had been no offers for the Welshman."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Foogle said:

Yeah that's what I figured with the fair market value increasing as they can fairly easily prove that the stunt has increased brand awareness for 32 red etc. I don't think it's anywhere near as shifty or has anywhere near the impact of the stadium selling. Think Rooney will do alright in the Championship but not set the league alight.

It's not a signing that has bothered me much in all honestly.  I don't think he'll disrupt them but I'm not sure he'll add as much as they are hoping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

It's not a signing that has bothered me much in all honestly.  I don't think he'll disrupt them but I'm not sure he'll add as much as they are hoping.

I'd say he's currently playing in a division that's maybe league 1 standard and not exactly ripping up trees so agree that he's probably not going to take them up a level. Would've been a hell of a lot more concerned if they'd got Harry Wilson back on loan...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Boroinredcar said:

Saw this on FMTTM and those replying just made cheap jokes at what I think was an interesting question. Thought it might get a more sensible answer here

 

https://fansonline.net/middlesbrough/mb/view.php?id=5992325

asredasthecome wrote...

So just who were we in for. According to the Gazette most of those rumoured were not wanted. Probably Grady Diangana and Cameron Carter-Vickers who were both shown around Rockcliffe but went elsewhere but is that it.

Possibly Ryan Kent but no loan available and probably to expensive to buy.

Gazette said.....
"Several names were mentioned but links with Nahki Wells of Burnley and Southampton's Mohamed Elyounoussi were dismissed by club sources.
Jordon Ibe was another player linked but was not understood to have been on Boro's radar. In any case, noises from Bournemouth claimed he didn't want to move to the North-East, with Newcastle also interested.
Fleetwood's Wes Burns was a name that cropped up throughout the final week of the window but Town's assistant boss Clint Hill said there had been no offers for the Welshman."

I might be being a touch cynical here but isn't that just the Gazette suggesting that we didn't miss out on players because we weren't in for them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Foogle said:

I'd say he's currently playing in a division that's maybe league 1 standard and not exactly ripping up trees so agree that he's probably not going to take them up a level. Would've been a hell of a lot more concerned if they'd got Harry Wilson back on loan...

Wilson for a full season or Rooney for half a season?  I think Derby would have preferred the former as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Boroinredcar said:

Saw this on FMTTM and those replying just made cheap jokes at what I think was an interesting question. Thought it might get a more sensible answer here

 

https://fansonline.net/middlesbrough/mb/view.php?id=5992325

asredasthecome wrote...

So just who were we in for. According to the Gazette most of those rumoured were not wanted. Probably Grady Diangana and Cameron Carter-Vickers who were both shown around Rockcliffe but went elsewhere but is that it.

Possibly Ryan Kent but no loan available and probably to expensive to buy.

Gazette said.....
"Several names were mentioned but links with Nahki Wells of Burnley and Southampton's Mohamed Elyounoussi were dismissed by club sources.
Jordon Ibe was another player linked but was not understood to have been on Boro's radar. In any case, noises from Bournemouth claimed he didn't want to move to the North-East, with Newcastle also interested.
Fleetwood's Wes Burns was a name that cropped up throughout the final week of the window but Town's assistant boss Clint Hill said there had been no offers for the Welshman."

Why are we so rarely linked with players from abroad

No one was asking us to break the bank but just look for our own Buendia, he cost Norwich £1.3m we were going to sell Shotton for £1.6m and honestly £1.3m probably isn't far off what some prem clubs ask for in loan fees 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally agree with the bit about Gibson, the people who signed gestede, allowed the charade of monk and pulis to walk all over them amongst a host of other bad decisions are all still here.

we aren’t in this mess because we’re a north east team, because we’re a small club or because Gibson isn’t a billionaire. But because of disasterous decisions made over and over again that cost us millions. £200m has passed through the club since 2016 and we’ve wasted virtually every penny. THAT is why we’re ***, and as diggerlad said all those people are still here.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's another question that I think is reasonable to put out there, if we take Woodgate in good faith that we signed the 3 key players that he identified in his job interview then brilliant you got your men and missed out on that 1 last piece you wanted fair enough...

Then what on earth has Gary Gill and the scouting team been doing all summer? Is Woodgate our new manager and head scout going forward?

Jack Charlton dismantled our scouting network, Pulis seemed to ignore it completely, Aitor shaped it, Mogga tried to build a scouting network post Strachan I would think Woodgate would be more Mogga than Pulis but I'm quite worried 3 names on a piece of paper in June appears the limit of the imagination. We built a state of the art scouting room and network under Karanka after promotion ever since then it seems no ones bothered to use the thing is it a supply closet by now I have no idea.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...