oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2019/20 Season

3 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

Great post. I hate the fact that we turn our nose up at foreign players at times. As much as I'd love every player to play for the shirt, sometimes we need to be realistic and pay more for those players to come. 

When that money isn't there, then the connections that Karanka had proved invaluable, as does the links with Mendes. We've cut our nose off with that type of approach and now two years later we've paid the price with *** scouts and a limited budget and pool to get players from. 

Prem loan fees for the wingers we've been looking at are what £1m? We could use that £1m and potentially find a gem from Spain like Norwich did with Buendia but we just don't seem to be looking, there's been what about 2 foreign links the entire window? Becker and Hosam Aiesh that I can remember, why are we not scouting the likes of France and Spain extensively? How many Buendia's have we missed out on through ignorance while we've been spending double the money on Marvin Johnson

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SDS, it’s Dijksteel at Rockliffe

For all those asking about these 4 players at rockcliffe just before weekend. I have done some digging appears it was bola Browne and 2 premiership loan players, sketchy with details but I believe the

Posted Images

Just now, Ayresome7 said:

Bausor and Bevington have never struck me as footballing men.

Bausor's just Gibbo's mate from ICI isn't he 

So depressing seeing like Fran Villalba as an example go to Birmingham, how are Birmingham signing talents from Valencia and we probably don't even know he exists 

51 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

Honestly I think there's too much money involved in football these days for teams built primarily from their academies to be successful 

The simplest way to get out of the championship is hire a manager with connections, best case scenario is to the prem for loans and knowledge of foreign leagues for players with twice the talents but half the price as their english equivalents 

Look at Karanka, links to Mourinho and knowledge of spain and we go up after 2 full seasons 

Daniel Farke knowledge of Germany and they go up after 2 full seasons 

Nuno Espirito knowledge of Spain/Portugal and links to Jorge Mendes and they sign Ruben Neves (admittedly once in a blue moon kind of signing £) they go up after 1 full season

Jokanovic connections all over the place and Watford had Serie A links, both Fulham and Watford promoted under him 

Lampard Chelsea loans, Bielsa foreign league knowledge, Gerrard Liverpool loans etc etc

We seem to be stuck looking for players in England only and no real connections to anyone and we end up paying £7m for Saville, £6m for Ashley Fletcher, however much for Jordan Hugill on loan man, the list goes on and on and on

We really seemed to be on the up with Karanka, connections to Spain, Jorge Mendes and Mourinho and the club were setting up connections to Atletico Madrid and Juventus. What happened to those club links btw? Now our club link is what, Millwall? trying to gift them over £10m for Saville and Jed Wallace on deadline day? Or West Ham paying £6m for Fletcher and begging for Jordan Hugill on loan no matter the cost. It's embarrassing how small and localised we are now as a club compared to only a few seasons ago tbh

I had optimism for Woody as he knows Spain from his time scouting at Liverpool and his slight connections to Klopp and Pochettino but judging from the window and what people have said in another thread, his hands are tied and it's Bausor and Bevington's plethora of footballing knowledge we get to tap into for the next few seasons, but not too much cos we're skint ? 

For every Karanka, Nuno, Jokanovic there is a wilder, hughton and dyche. Lampard and Bielsa, well Leeds and Derby are in the same league as us. You are probably right that an exclusive academy only team will not be as successful as buying players but we dont have the money at the minute, nor will we until we shift the high wage players we have. Mistakes have obviously been made but we are where we are and those mistakes have to run their course before we move forward again.

16 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

Prem loan fees for the wingers we've been looking at are what £1m? We could use that £1m and potentially find a gem from Spain like Norwich did with Buendia but we just don't seem to be looking, there's been what about 2 foreign links the entire window? Becker and Hosam Aiesh that I can remember, why are we not scouting the likes of France and Spain extensively? How many Buendia's have we missed out on through ignorance while we've been spending double the money on Marvin Johnson

Samatta and Frey too, I think it's an area we are working on

15 minutes ago, Ayresome7 said:

Bausor and Bevington have never struck me as footballing men.

You mean Adrian Bevington who had his own boro fanzine, has wrote numerous books on you've guessed it football, worked at the FA (stands for football association fyi) since the 90s and was one of their longest standing associates, then worked at several premier League clubs before joining Boro.

Yeah not a football man at all, doesn't sound like he even likes football

1 hour ago, OldManGravz said:

I'm happy with the window overall.

Could it have been better? Probably.

Would I love a bit of excitement for a change on deadline day? Absolutely.

There are people we could have hoped to move on that we never (Gestede, Shotton, we maybe have one too many CMs if I'm being picky). We could maybe have done with another signing or two (another winger would have definirely been nice, perhaps another CB).

These missed opportunities, however, probably stem from the fact that we have kept our important players, such as Britt and Fry.

They also mean that we will have more opportunities to blood some youngsters, who may well impress us and make us wonder why we worried about getting another centre half/winger in. 

Despite all the talk coming out the club, we knew it was going to be a tough transfer window. I don't think Woody genuinely deceived us as some have said, I think he just talked honestly about how he hoped things would go. Our tough approach to fees, while a welcome one for the bank balance, has ruled us out of a lot of moves. I can live with that, as I can see the long term goal of trying to be more reliant.

Our squad was ridiculously thin in some areas and ridiculously bloated in other areas thanks to Pulis, and the only genuine lie we have been told this season is that TP left us in good shape. But we have tried to address problem areas, and though we havent managed it completely I don't think that we didn't try.

The future is bright.

The future is Boro.

I’m not sure I fully agree with the ‘keeping hold of players’ thing everyone is so happy about.

I mean yes it’s good to still have a strong core BUT at the same time if people want us to follow a model similar to Brentford then we have to be more ruthless and have a better plan.

IF we got a big offer for Randolph, sell. He’s 32 and would probably be the peak money we could have got for him, Raya (as an example) was there for £3m a more than able replacement.

Then add Fry and Britt to that, we could have easily brought in another £30-40m this summer by selling big and replacing wisely. 

Another example being sell Britt for £14m, replace with Samatta and Eze, yes we’ve lost Britt BUT we’ve gained a replacement and a player for a position we need improvement and possible not even increased the wage bill. 

As I said, all examples but it’s how I think we would be better off operating than fighting to keep hold of certain players at the expense of areas other areas of the team.

16 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

I’m not sure I fully agree with the ‘keeping hold of players’ thing everyone is so happy about.

I mean yes it’s good to still have a strong core BUT at the same time if people want us to follow a model similar to Brentford then we have to be more ruthless and have a better plan.

IF we got a big offer for Randolph, sell. He’s 32 and would probably be the peak money we could have got for him, Raya (as an example) was there for £3m a more than able replacement.

Then add Fry and Britt to that, we could have easily brought in another £30-40m this summer by selling big and replacing wisely. 

Another example being sell Britt for £14m, replace with Samatta and Eze, yes we’ve lost Britt BUT we’ve gained a replacement and a player for a position we need improvement and possible not even increased the wage bill. 

As I said, all examples but it’s how I think we would be better off operating than fighting to keep hold of certain players at the expense of areas other areas of the team.

Randolph was the one to sell for me but only early in the window, could've given us time to sign a more than capable keeper replacement and a dangerous winger but I don't trust our recruitment. Need a complete change in our recruitment department imo, Bausor and Bevington is that really the best we can do? Two lads from ICI who are Gibbo's mates. Reeks of jobs for the boys to me 

I agree mate I wouldn’t trust them either, like you need lists of capable replacements to get in when the time comes. I get the impression if we tried it then we’d have bid for Diego Costa all window then ended up with Ivan Toney on deadline day.

Out if the rumoured ones Fry is the only one I’d have thought twice about as we can still ‘add value’ to him. I would have sold Britt and Randolph though if the money was right and replacements lined up.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

I actually did say in another post a few days ago we could sell Britt and Fry and bring in 4/5 players to strengthen better and it wouldn't be a disaster, but you just know it wouldn't have ended that way.... If we were going to sell,  I'd rather it was the start of the window. With a day or two left we wouldn't have replaced them properly and probably panic bought. So given the interest seemed to strengthen with circa 48 hours to go, I'm glad we kept hold of them.

Plus, I'm not too keen on following the Brentford model. Yes it's good to buy low and sell high, but I'd rather we tried to build something with young, high potential players rather than having massive upheaval every year for the sake of making money. Theres nothing wrong with trying to sign cheap young players without just using them to make a profit, and maybe having a go at it instead.

9 hours ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

Randolph was the one to sell for me but only early in the window, could've given us time to sign a more than capable keeper replacement and a dangerous winger but I don't trust our recruitment. Need a complete change in our recruitment department imo, Bausor and Bevington is that really the best we can do? Two lads from ICI who are Gibbo's mates. Reeks of jobs for the boys to me 

I agree mate. Been saying since the end of last season that if we had to cash in on anyone Randolph was the one to replace. Much  easier and cheaper to replace a goalkeeper than striker(that's only my opinion of course). I know he made a cock up but apart from that Lutons keeper looked good. 1.3m the paid for him

On 8/9/2019 at 10:38 PM, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

You mean Adrian Bevington who had his own boro fanzine, has wrote numerous books on you've guessed it football, worked at the FA (stands for football association fyi) since the 90s and was one of their longest standing associates, then worked at several premier League clubs before joining Boro.

Yeah not a football man at all, doesn't sound like he even likes football

Haha, that's one of the finest ever quotes. Dont believe AB has been involved in anything other than football in his whole life. Absolute quality statement.