Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2019/20 Season


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SDS, it’s Dijksteel at Rockliffe

For all those asking about these 4 players at rockcliffe just before weekend. I have done some digging appears it was bola Browne and 2 premiership loan players, sketchy with details but I believe the

Posted Images

On 8/9/2019 at 10:38 PM, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

You mean Adrian Bevington who had his own boro fanzine, has wrote numerous books on you've guessed it football, worked at the FA (stands for football association fyi) since the 90s and was one of their longest standing associates, then worked at several premier League clubs before joining Boro.

Yeah not a football man at all, doesn't sound like he even likes football

By football men I mean suitably qualified or experienced in scouting players. 

Neither have any background in identifying players yet they are apparently part of 'the committee'. 

I brought all this up when everyone was wetting themselves with excitement about this great new era that was beginning. Guess what, we've been poor in the transfer market again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Duvel said:

By football men I mean suitably qualified or experienced in scouting players. 

Neither have any background in identifying players yet they are apparently part of 'the committee'. 

I brought all this up when everyone was wetting themselves with excitement about this great new era that was beginning. Guess what, we've been poor in the transfer market again. 

Calling it poor is a bit harsh imo.

We got 3 of woodgates top targets in, and we didn't pay over the odds to do so.

I know we could have done with another one or possibly even two, but overall I still think it was a decent enough window.

Link to post
Share on other sites

With all of the latest gossip/rumour/speculation regarding the ins and outs of the window I can only simply conclude based upon this is that "something ain't right and is rather fishy"

More questions than answers which surely is not a good thing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Duvel said:

By football men I mean suitably qualified or experienced in scouting players. 

Neither have any background in identifying players yet they are apparently part of 'the committee'. 

I brought all this up when everyone was wetting themselves with excitement about this great new era that was beginning. Guess what, we've been poor in the transfer market again. 

I don't think Bausor or AB are the ones identifying players, however they deal with the financial sides of things. I'd imagine they are the ones talking to agents and vetting the players. I assume AB has a lot of contacts so will get the inside information on players and their agents while Bausor thrash out the contracts. Woodgate will then speak to the players to sell his vision. AB and Bausor are obviously not scouts so I very much doubt that they are identifying players. AB might get some tips from his network though. The idea of a committee is that the members all bring different specialities. Whether that works is another matter, but maybe it's all futile if the top man says no to any more transfers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Borodane said:

I don't think Bausor or AB are the ones identifying players, however they deal with the financial sides of things. I'd imagine they are the ones talking to agents and vetting the players. I assume AB has a lot of contacts so will get the inside information on players and their agents while Bausor thrash out the contracts. Woodgate will then speak to the players to sell his vision. AB and Bausor are obviously not scouts so I very much doubt that they are identifying players. AB might get some tips from his network though. The idea of a committee is that the members all bring different specialities. Whether that works is another matter, but maybe it's all futile if the top man says no to any more transfers.

If Bauser is dealing with finances and Bevington is using his contracts to vet players then I'd say that is utilising there skills effectively, however the tone of various Gazette articles suggest they are more hands with identifying players. 

Like you say it's all irrelevant if Gibson is over ruling  decisions anyway. 

My concern is that we've been totally useless in the market for a number of windows and with the same personel in the same positions I can't see anything changing. 

As for this window we've signed 3 players from league 1, they are cheap gambles and the chance of them all stepping up a level is pretty slim.

In Woodgate's own words we didn't strengthen is areas we wanted to and with a few injuries we could be in a spot of bother. That doesn't strike me as being a good window at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Duvel said:

If Bauser is dealing with finances and Bevington is using his contracts to vet players then I'd say that is utilising there skills effectively, however the tone of various Gazette articles suggest they are more hands with identifying players. 

Like you say it's all irrelevant if Gibson is over ruling  decisions anyway. 

My concern is that we've been totally useless in the market for a number of windows and with the same personel in the same positions I can't see anything changing. 

As for this window we've signed 3 players from league 1, they are cheap gambles and the chance of them all stepping up a level is pretty slim.

In Woodgate's own words we didn't strengthen is areas we wanted to and with a few injuries we could be in a spot of bother. That doesn't strike me as being a good window at all. 

I understand what you are saying I'm just trying to apply my own kind of common sense to how this committee is supposed to work. I can't see why someone like Bausor would identify a player. I agree that on incomings the window hasn't been particularly good. I like that we have signed two young and energetic full backs. We've been needing that for years. However I don't think that Browne is just going to turn around our lack of creativity and I don't think Johnson is good enough despite are decent start to the season. And Fletcher is a striker and not a winger. We definately miss some signings but I guess if Gibson really did pull out of two loans then he's had his reasons, which is probably money, and that's his decision to make. Very annoying though as everyone can see that we are missing at least a winger. But I suppose that's better than a fine or points deduction for not complying with FFP if that's the difference (making a complete shambles out of the Woodgate press conference where Gibson said he'd back Woodgate). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If there is no money whatsoever what do you want the club to do really? Beyond selling up, running the club into the ground or selling fry, wing and assombalonga I dont think we could have done much more in the market all things considered- that doesnt make it a good window but it legitimises our moves in the market.

The one criticism that I would really level at the club in terms of what we did with the money we have is that weve again ignored the foreign market. It's much cheaper to get talent in from abroad and then sell on than it is in any of the english leagues so that's where we need to be putting our scouting resources. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I understand what you are saying I'm just trying to apply my own kind of common sense to how this committee is supposed to work. I can't see why someone like Bausor would identify a player. I agree that on incomings the window hasn't been particularly good. I like that we have signed two young and energetic full backs. We've been needing that for years. However I don't think that Browne is just going to turn around our lack of creativity and I don't think Johnson is good enough despite are decent start to the season. And Fletcher is a striker and not a winger. We definately miss some signings but I guess if Gibson really did pull out of two loans then he's had his reasons, which is probably money, and that's his decision to make. Very annoying though as everyone can see that we are missing at least a winger. But I suppose that's better than a fine or points deduction for not complying with FFP if that's the difference (making a complete shambles out of the Woodgate press conference where Gibson said he'd back Woodgate). 

I agree with you, in most other football clubs there would be no logic in letting someone like Bauser get involved with recruitment. However I could write you a list as long as my arm about things we've done that completely defy logic in the last few years. 

I agree with your other points about signings and lack of creativity in the team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

If there is no money whatsoever what do you want the club to do really? Beyond selling up, running the club into the ground or selling fry, wing and assombalonga I dont think we could have done much more in the market all things considered- that doesnt make it a good window but it legitimises our moves in the market.

The one criticism that I would really level at the club in terms of what we did with the money we have is that weve again ignored the foreign market. It's much cheaper to get talent in from abroad and then sell on than it is in any of the english leagues so that's where we need to be putting our scouting resources. 

This is what I've been calling out for since Karanka left, if money is tight then we need to be creative rather than adopt the parochial attitude that we seem to have nowadays. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

If there is no money whatsoever what do you want the club to do really? Beyond selling up, running the club into the ground or selling fry, wing and assombalonga I dont think we could have done much more in the market all things considered- that doesnt make it a good window but it legitimises our moves in the market.

The one criticism that I would really level at the club in terms of what we did with the money we have is that weve again ignored the foreign market. It's much cheaper to get talent in from abroad and then sell on than it is in any of the english leagues so that's where we need to be putting our scouting resources. 

By all account it sounded like we had a deal agreed for a winger in Belgium but he had a change of heart. Bausor and AB even flew out to finalise the deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

I appreciate that but the fact still remains that braithwaite is the last player we signed from overseas (dont include mikel because there was no scouting required).

I agree, we seem to be purposefully limiting our pool of players. Think the value for money in the European market is so much better than the UK.

A really recent example is Neal Maupay. Brentford signed him from Saint-Etienne for £1.6 Million (reportedly) after he had a decent spell at Brest in Ligue 2. Then have gone on to sell him for £20 Million.

We should be looking at these leagues, certainly if we are looking for "more bang for our buck" (Gazette's favourite phrase).

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Latest Posts

    • Bournemouth, Southampton, Leicester City ,Sheffield United, Norwich, Watford, Burnley, Leeds, Aston Villa, Wolves, Crystal Palace, Brighton, Fulham, West Brom we used to be on a very even par with them all and I would suggest above par at certain times. In relation to this season where the hell did it go so wrong with those teams above though yes I accept that we will be playing against 3 of them next season we all know we did not set the world alight with last seasons relegated clubs. Ok yes I am living in the past somewhat but still believe we could still be at their level and competeing with them all
    • In fairness to Gibson, he's not likely going to invest a lot of money while Warnock is in charge. I expect he'll be given a modest transfer budget...just a bit more than he had this season. Its not going to be another Garry Monk spending spree, thats for sure. At the moment I think the club is in damage limitation mode until they can get fans back in the stadium and money coming through the turnstiles. I think its a case of better the devil you know. We're not likely to improve much next season, but another mid-table finish will do while the club gets back on its feet financially and is in a position to attract a better standard of manager. I mean, if you were a talented and ambitious manager, would you look at Boro as a good career move right now?  
    • Indeed. We can point to lack of quality and strength in depth, (which definitely were factors), but how often did Boro concede ridiculously soft goals, either due to inept keeping or defending...basic schoolboy errors? If we'd at least been decently organised at the back, (not watertight - just decent), we might well be looking forward to the play-offs.  
    • We finished exactly where I expected us to, in all honesty. Always found the talk of play offs baffling when we just about stayed up last year and didn't improve the squad in any meaningful way.  You can get promoted with average players and a great manager (likes of Leeds, Sheff Utd, Burnley) or you can just have a bigger squad with much better players than everyone else (Bournemouth, Watford, WBA, Fulham etc). Then you get Wolves, Norwich, Newcastle that have both and walk the league.  We had the money to make a bigger, better squad than everyone else and blew it... We've also had about 5 opportunities to get the manager right. Now we have neither and that won't be changing over the summer, so I think people need to be realistic. Is Gibson working behind the scenes to bring in an ambitious, upcoming Bundesliga manager to take over Warnock's steady mid-table ship? Find it hard to believe personally.  Foreign billionaire fancies an investment in the north east? Again, highly doubt it... and careful what you wish for anyway and all that. We're a mid-table Championship side until a big catalyst comes in. 
    • I just can't see where the money is going to come from judging from the club accounts and Bulkhauls horrendous year. Unless sales are happening

×
×
  • Create New...