Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SDS, it’s Dijksteel at Rockliffe

For all those asking about these 4 players at rockcliffe just before weekend. I have done some digging appears it was bola Browne and 2 premiership loan players, sketchy with details but I believe the

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

Well they dont have a wall anymore ?. To be fair when I went to Berlin it Took my Breath Away. 

On a less serious note it's a great time in Berlin I think it's the 1st time they have got to the Bundesliga.

I’m glad you enjoyed Berlin. I had the opposite experience when I went to Vienna. In fact it meant nothing to me. 

• Haha 2
36 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

It may be purely down to personal preference. He may prefer to live in Berlin than Middlesbrough. 

If that were the case we'd never sign a player again they'd all pile into London clubs! Every bloody summer us missing out gets chalked up to agents I get why Meunier chose PSG over us but this is the same dastardly agent type stuff we heard with Mandi and co that summer. Maybe this 1 is down to the agent but he's joined a newly promoted team favourites to go back down who have a wage bill half of ours kind of feel like if there was any other Championship club in for him vs Union Berlin they probably would have worked out a deal.

Sitting in a Rockliffe office playing hardball over nominal things that are normal practice for 80% of football clubs I think is a big part of why our summer windows have gone so wrong for the past 5 years it at worst antagonises all sides and at best drags deals out. Whether Gibson wont beat the wage offer of Union Berlin out of principle that Becker and his old agent pinky promised is a big reason we have no wingers at the club and have been chasing different solutions for 2 years it's not like the agent policy has worked out for us on or off the pitch.

Agents no doubt change things at the last minute they no doubt offer people around and ask for 5 figure fees for facilitating deals Braithwaite must have had a good agent how much has he cost Gibson at this point 8 or 9 million after wages and loan fees? Gestede's pushing 9 million in fee and wages so as long as Gibson likes your agent I'll ignore the extra cost and losses but a well scouted targets agent changes demands screw him he was no good anyway I'm not paying a penny more.

I've always wondered how personally Gibson takes his anti agent crusade does he blacklist them and therefore their client list or does he merely steer managers away from clients of agents who've 'messed' him around. Middlesbrough football clubs finances have been bled by bad recruitment and overzealous purchases led by Gibson I just don't like the agent catch all that tries to make us as fans care about let's say a last minute 50k agent fee when Gibson was paying close to that weekly for Downing it doesn't resonate with me as principled or noble.

• Like 2

The big thing for me isn't that we should be willing to play ball a lot more often with agents and simply accept that we have to exist in that ecosystem to survive or bend over backwards for them. There has to be a happy medium. When we've wanted to spend, we've spent. I don't have a clue about who looks after who when it comes to agents but what I would like to hear from someone involved in these situations is just how much are we relatively trying to get screwed over and do we balance that against the requirement or even desire to sign a player. After all, if you're looking at a young up-and-comer who isn't going to make an immediate impact, you're already taking a risk of purchasing a player you'll perhaps get no return on as well as whatever gets shoved in at the last moment. If you're looking at someone with the ability to do the job at this level but with no experience or significant potential to improve beyond, that's another risk. If you've got the perfect blend of current and potential talent, personality, filling an important position... I'd hope we don't dismiss any fees that creep in at the end without seriously considering what it could mean should we say no.

It seems to me that we are going from one extreme to the other. Over paying for players only last year and then we have this year were we are trying to get players on the cheap. I admit that it is still only June but we need players in for positions that every man and his dog know about.

Its ok buying young players with a bit of potential but we also need experienced players who can fit straight into the first team. You can not expect these young hungry players to fit in to a team that should be aiming for at least a top six position.

There can't be that much surprise at a player choosing to go to a Bundesliga club over us or a player choosing Huddersfield over us?  Right now, Union Berlin and Huddersfield are both better prospects than us and that must be obvious to everyone yeah?  Would you rather play in the Bundesliga or the Championship?  Would you rather play for a club that's just spent a couple of years in the Premier League or a club that's just spent a couple of years in the Championship?  We missed out on players because they've joined clubs who are above us in the food chain at the moment.  Agents interference may well be a useful excuse but that might not amount to more than Becker deciding he would prefer to play in the top flight in Germany than here and telling his agent that for him to join Boro it would take us offering a deal that blows Union Berlin's out of the water.  Same for the lad who has joined Huddersfield although quite simply they will be in a position to offer him more money anyway and he's probably closer to the first team than he might be here as we still have a handful of strikers on the books.

I'm not overly concerned about missing out on players as much as I am about signing bad ones, signing overpriced ones, players that don't fit at all with how we play and that kind of thing.  That's where we've screwed up recently not so much on missing out on players.  I think on one of the other threads a couple of people have said our scouting isn't that bad it's just that we haven't got deals over the line.  Personally I completely disagree with that.  Identifying a couple of players who end up being decent somewhere else isn't even close to the bare minimum of what a good scouting group should be doing.  We've signed an awful lot of players that I think people would struggle to call good signings.  If we were searching through lots of unknowns or little known players than being more miss than hit might be expected but we haven't been doing that so our record is pretty poor overall in my opinion.

But yeah, two players we would have liked to sign have joined clubs who are ahead of us at the moment.  That's just football.

• Like 1
On 6/22/2019 at 10:08 AM, Essuuaitch said:

had a frightening reading moment then,  sprang out at me like....Pulis  getting linked....

Me too - its going to take some time for those mental scars to heal. 

9 hours ago, Maccarone said:

Need some ITK transfer news please. 

Who was Woody looking at in the U21 game?

Any new names? Are we close to any signings? 

Someone must have some news? 

Going through the starting 11 of that U21s game.

Henderson -  Don’t need a first choice keeper

Kenny - Gone to Schalke

Tomori/Clarke Salter - Possibly, but very stacked in CBs already

Dasilva - Very likely 

Mount - Would probably only go to Derby if went back to the Championship. Plenty of CMs anyway 

Dowell - Similar to Mount but with Sheff U and the Prem, have been linked before with him though 

Maddison - No chance 

Gray - No chance 

Barnes - No chance 

Calvert Lewin - No chance 

Most of the bench would fall into the ‘no chance’ category also. To sum up I’d say Dasilva was the most likely he was watching

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, MFC Heisenberg said:

Kenny - Gone to Schalke

Dasilva - Very likely 

Mount - Would probably only go to Derby if went back to the Championship. Plenty of CMs anyway 

Dowell - Similar to Mount but with Sheff U and the Prem, have been linked before with him though 

Maddison - No chance 

Gray - No chance 

Barnes - No chance 

Most of the bench would fall into the ‘no chance’ category also. To sum up I’d say Dasilva was the most likely he was watching

giphy (3).gif

45 minutes ago, MFC Heisenberg said:

Kenny - Gone to Schalke

Dasilva - Very likely 

Maddison - No chance 

Gray - No chance 

Barnes - No chance 

Could it not have been one of the ROmanians

Just now, scotty189 said:

Could it not have been one of the ROmanians

I was just about to make this exact point. Georgi Hagi's son plays for the U21s, meant to be a big talent. 

• Like 1