oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2019/20 Season

As much as I like downing, his production for us the last few years has been pretty average. If we are going to play high paced attacking football then I don’t really think he fits - unless he can change position (could he play full back?). I’d be happy for him to come back as a coach at some point, but if we are going to move on then I don’t see keeping him as a priority - especially on a (relatively) high wage.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SDS, it’s Dijksteel at Rockliffe

For all those asking about these 4 players at rockcliffe just before weekend. I have done some digging appears it was bola Browne and 2 premiership loan players, sketchy with details but I believe the

Posted Images

Just now, D.Z. said:

Could Downing work as a defensive midfielder? Ideal position for him I'd say at this stage of his career.

Not a chance for me. He has almost no physicality to his game and shirks tackles/headers frequently. I fear Downing is a spent force.

Going all football manager on this topic for a moment, I do think Downing could still prove effective in a DLP role. Something where he can use his vision and passing without having to actually run or tackle that much.

5 hours ago, Armster said:

The piece in the gazette, said the idea is that we're looking to bring on youth and prospects from our own academy and other sources.basically any players with a view to potential resale values. similar to the Karanka reign but with more focus on youth I think?

Do you mean what we did after promotion?

• Like 1

And for that matter what's wrong with discussing downing? The artical went up today and clearly stated that he is an option for us - why fant we discuss it? 

You seem to have something really against talking about former players even if the reasoning is 100% valid.

Adomah would be a poor signing, makes no financial sense to sign a player of that age. If the club ever wants to progress we need to move away from those sort of players. Same with Downing

• Like 1
Just now, Neverbefore said:

What's wrong with the Gibson suggestion?

What's wrong with the Gibson suggestion?  Nothing is wrong with it, not in the sense that he's a decent player but where are we getting the money from to either buy him or loan him?  This forum is one big merry-go-round at the moment with previous players and staff being forwarded as options for us.  Some people talk a really good game about what you'd like Boro to do and how you'd like them to do it, new philosophies and different approaches, but even right from the start they are looking backwards not forwards.   

• Like 1

This 'new' policies on VFM signings, younger signings and use the academy isn't really convincing me to be honest we'll see who we end up signing but those phrases were heard under Karanka and Monk.

Even the stated goal of using the academy players more is fantasy we haven't produced anything but wingers and CBs for 10+ years most of our youngsters we let go are lucky if a League 2 team pick them up and the only players you could say we could use now is Reach and Jones so is there a magic wand or are we throwing pennies in a wishing well that Walker/Wood are the real deal and first teamers within 12 months?

The value for money strategy as well we explicitly tried moneyball the Prem summer we copied Southampton's setup darkroom's and all so what exactly is new here I'd welcome us going back to Europe to sign players but I'm not convinced this is a 'new' approach or part of some genius top to bottom revamp it's half wishcasting and half rolling a dice on Viktor Fischers again.

Edited by Jamie-H
Just now, Changing Times said:

What's wrong with the Gibson suggestion?  Nothing is wrong with it, not in the sense that he's a decent player but where are we getting the money from to either buy him or loan him?  This forum is one big merry-go-round at the moment with previous players and staff being forwarded as options for us.  Some people talk a really good game about what you'd like Boro to do and how you'd like them to do it, new philosophies and different approaches, but even right from the start they are looking backwards not forwards.   

What's wrong with discussing them? It's a discussion forum. No ones saying we should only look at former players but they are the players that we know best so if they're available then it follows a logical conclusion that well have a discussion about the merits of signing or not signing. If they improve the team who gives a damn if they're a former player or not?

4 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

And for that matter what's wrong with discussing downing? The artical went up today and clearly stated that he is an option for us - why fant we discuss it? 

You seem to have something really against talking about former players even if the reasoning is 100% valid.

It isn't 100% valid!  What about Downing is valid?  He was crap last season in an admittedly bad side but he's done bugger all for the past few years.  Lots of people want him gone and then when we're on the verge of getting rid of him suddenly we start talking about him as an option?  It can't just be me who realises how bizarre all of this is?

2 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

What's wrong with discussing them? It's a discussion forum. No ones saying we should only look at former players but they are the players that we know best so if they're available then it follows a logical conclusion that well have a discussion about the merits of signing or not signing. If they improve the team who gives a damn if they're a former player or not?

Yeah and I'm discussing them as well and saying they are ridiculous suggestions.  Ok?

Sorry, if they improve the team?  Please explain to me how Downing improves the team that he is technically already a part of?  I'm all ears.