oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2019/20 Season

13 minutes ago, Mr_Maz said:

we tried to sign Saville when he left Chelsea, but he chose Wolves

It was still before he moved to millwall ?

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SDS, it’s Dijksteel at Rockliffe

For all those asking about these 4 players at rockcliffe just before weekend. I have done some digging appears it was bola Browne and 2 premiership loan players, sketchy with details but I believe the

Posted Images

The scouting department identified decent championship players and also long before they really had their breakthroughs. It’s not really their fault that the negotiators got taken to the cleaners. Unless of course the scouts said they were worth it. 

We have identified some ok players over the last five years and certainly when we were promoted we pursued some great talent in ziyech, Mandi and Meunier on top of solid signings like De Roon and Chambers. Let’s not forget they also identified players like Ramirez and Stuani. 

Im well aware of the failures too but it’s not all bad regarding our scouts. We need to be better at negotiating fees though?

6 minutes ago, Borodane said:

The scouting department identified decent championship players and also long before they really had their breakthroughs. It’s not really their fault that the negotiators got taken to the cleaners. Unless of course the scouts said they were worth it. 

We have identified some ok players over the last five years and certainly when we were promoted we pursued some great talent in ziyech, Mandi and Meunier on top of solid signings like De Roon and Chambers. Let’s not forget they also identified players like Ramirez and Stuani. 

Im well aware of the failures too but it’s not all bad regarding our scouts. We need to be better at negotiating fees though?

man Ziyech is now a 35m pound player, can't believe we were associated for a few weeks there. 

13 minutes ago, Brunners said:

man Ziyech is now a 35m pound player, can't believe we were associated for a few weeks there. 

Lindelof too, meant to join us on loan, but Benfica kept moving the goal posts. Then they sold him to United for a big fee!

• Like 1

Weren't we linked with Praet as well. He looks Arsenal bound this summer.

McGuire Lindelof Ziyech Meunier and Praet. To be fair De Roon has also done well for himself since leaving us. 

The problem is not identifying the players , its getting the deals over the line.

Edited by smogsterking the Inspirati
  • Like 2

But I think there's a certain element of Gibson having to pay a bit more money to agents to get some of the deals over the line. 

Whilst I think that he quite rightly has moved away from some deals and being priced out, I think there has been some where we could have gone in a bit more and got them which would have benefitted us more. 

But, then you can argue it either way I suppose! 

Seen a tweet after Ajax beat one of the English teams, was from some journalist down in London.

we had ziyech at rockliffe, a deal was agreed, we chose Fischer instead.

So yes we do identify good players but I think at that level it’s the easy part, where we have struggled is getting the right ones in.

Under different circumstances, our front 4 to start the premiership season could very easily have been 

Deleofeu.......Gaston.......Ziyech

.....................Llorente 

15 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Seen a tweet after Ajax beat one of the English teams, was from some journalist down in London.

we had ziyech at rockliffe, a deal was agreed, we chose Fischer instead.

So yes we do identify good players but I think at that level it’s the easy part, where we have struggled is getting the right ones in.

Under different circumstances, our front 4 to start the premiership season could very easily have been 

Deleofeu.......Gaston.......Ziyech

.....................Llorente 

Wait, what?! I don't remember it being that close! really? ?

I don’t think it came out that it was that close, our interest was barely mentioned from what I remember. Tbh if that guy is right it wouldn’t surprise me at all haha

Our scouts are ok at identifying good players - the problem is they are either already too expensive for us (Ziyech and Lindelof were not unknowns!!) or we are not prepared to back our scouts (i.e. managers will not agree to the purchase or Gibson is not willing to pay).

We need to be able to identify players who are likely to be better playing for us (in our new style) or players under-utilised in their current team - these will probably be good value. We need to stop assuming that players that just had one great season (or scored against us) will be that good every year (i.e. assume a bit of a regression in form) - these will probably be poor value. I hope we have convinced Kenyon to get involved in negotiations, as that is where we are weakest.