oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2019/20 Season

12 minutes ago, jamesp said:

How can anyone possibly defend the club on this?

Nobody is going to defend the club on the mistakes of the last 2 years, you make it sound like everyone has just forgotten that.

Those 2 years have gone, though. The club have to act based on our current situation.

• Like 2
  • Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SDS, it’s Dijksteel at Rockliffe

For all those asking about these 4 players at rockcliffe just before weekend. I have done some digging appears it was bola Browne and 2 premiership loan players, sketchy with details but I believe the

Posted Images

Just now, jamesp said:
7 minutes ago, Tom said:

Who else have we bought high and sold low like?

It happens. We will buy some players high and sell them lower, but others we'd make money on. If we sold Randolph, Wing, Ayala and arguably Friend or Clayton tomorrow, we'd get more than we paid.

Just this week we have lost 2 million on Flint in a season. Of the current squad we will loose on Assombalonga, Fletcher, Howson, Saville, Johnson, Gestede if we sell this window

So you say 'buying a player for 9 million then selling for 4million is acceptable?' It’s not even like it’s a one off either', and then when asked for examples you list one player that we have sold, but with the wrong figures, and a group of players that we haven't sold?

Well I'm convinced.

5 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I don't think anyone doubts what Braithwaite is worth, but we don't have the benefit of being able to sell our highest earner for what he's worth. We probably don't have the benefit of selling anyone on high wages what they're worth, certainly we'll find it incapable of making a profit on anyone in that bracket but for maybe Randolph right now and that's more to do with how little we paid for him, relatively speaking.

As for ambition, well we have an ambition to not go bust. Braithwaite has an ambition to play anywhere but here. Financially speaking, Braithwaite represents a huge problem for us as whatever we've paid him in the past 2 years, we've not seen the benefit of it. At least with say Britt, you can say he gets his head down and carries on in the face of any localised adversity. Braithwaite has tried to jump at the first sign of danger to his career and has arguably killed the last year and a half in doing so.

I think you're living in cloud cuckoo land if you think we can sell him at his value or keep him without severe repercussions to our finances.

Problem is how the club is being run, yes we will loose money on Braithwaite down to the unaffordable wage we offered him. But the club have again thrown a load of money at players for a quick fix to get promoted, unsurprising it hasn’t worked and now we are looking at taking a massive hit on almost all of these players, which means the club will more than likely be fighting relegation for the next few seasons. It’s crazy running a club like that but this is twice in a decade that Gibson has done this to the club. 

7 minutes ago, Tom said:

So you say 'buying a player for 9 million then selling for 4million is acceptable?' It’s not even like it’s a one off either', and then when asked for examples you list one player that we have sold, but with the wrong figures, and a group of players that we haven't sold?

Well I'm convinced.

So do you expect us not to take a hit on any of those players??

1 minute ago, jamesp said:
9 minutes ago, Tom said:

Well I'm convinced.

So do you expect us not to take a hit on any of those players??

We probably would, but we'd make money on others. We signed Downing for £7m, released him for nowt. We signed Gibson for nothing, sold him for £15m. Neither is the first, neither will be the last.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Tom said:

We probably would, but we'd make money on others. We signed Downing for £7m, released him for nowt. We signed Gibson for nothing, sold him for £15m. Neither is the first, neither will be the last.

Sensible view, we also made money on Traore, Espinosa, Tomlin, Bamford, Reach, Nsue, de Roon, Gaston Ramirez, Forshaw, Christie and Husband.

Got our money back on Rhodes too after he helped us get promoted, so not all of our transfers have been a disaster finance wise

17 minutes ago, jamesp said:

Problem is how the club is being run, yes we will loose money on Braithwaite down to the unaffordable wage we offered him. But the club have again thrown a load of money at players for a quick fix to get promoted, unsurprising it hasn’t worked and now we are looking at taking a massive hit on almost all of these players, which means the club will more than likely be fighting relegation for the next few seasons. It’s crazy running a club like that but this is twice in a decade that Gibson has done this to the club. 

I just think you're going over old ground by continuing to hold the club accountable to these things. You're not wrong but we already know we messed up in relation to those things, it's solid fact now. They were risks in the hope of promotion and we didn't get promoted. Hindsight is wonderful, we can say we definitely messed up and nobody can disagree, really.

It's also pretty irrelevant now to how we move forward from here. Right now it's all about how we respond to these mistakes. Losing money on a transfer fee we paid for our highest paid player is not relevant right now, what's relevant is that we get rid of players who get paid more than we can justifiably continue to pay, especially in the case of someone who has wanted out for 18 months. I believe we're doing well to get half of what we paid for him in the climate where clubs will know in some form we're struggling and don't have a strong negotiating position because the player himself is begging for a move. If we can move forward without any of his wages on the books that will be a positive, relatively speaking.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, jamesp said:

Well in today’s market he is worth more than 4 million (which in today’s market buys will grigg)

But he is arguably our best player so if we have any ambition we should probably keep him

He may be worth more in terms of ability - in the English market.  But his last couple of years with us has only seen him lose value. 

A couple of loans, speaking out against the manager, etc.  No one in Championship are going to touch him, PL not a chance.  Our only shot of getting rid is overseas.  And that means taking a lower fee, by and large.

No point keeping him if he's not going to play.  And if it means we can't sign the players we need to actually field a team.

• Like 2

Whatever happens with MB it’s just another one of those transfers we continue to make. Look at Downing last season, paying him a massive wage when he couldn’t play half the season, paying Gestede over 30k when he didn’t start a league game last season, signing Fletcher for 7 million, selling Flint after a year for a loss, signing McNair and not using him, 7 million on Saville, having to pay off Monk for 6 months work, the wages we have Pulis etc. 

Needs to be changes to who is running things, clubs this size can’t afford to make those sort of losses. Hope I’m wrong but this season could go south, woodgate hadn’t been given a chance 

Since relegation, going just on transfer fees alone and using transfermarkt as a source, we are + £6.71million in the transfer market.

Obviously this doesn't mean much and may not be entirely accurate but it's interesting all the same

Since our first relegation, so starting from 09/10 that should say

Edited by SzilardNemethsCurtains
15 minutes ago, king boro said:

CHIEN LEE IN STEVE GIBSON OUT this will sort out all our money problems how much is middlebrough football club worth 50-100 million no problem for mr lee he has 7 billion hahahahahahahah 

Yes. That’s exactly how it works mate ?

• Angry 1

It's probably worth remembering that we signed Braithwaite as a Championship club.  I think jamesp is about right in what he has said really.  We signed a player for £9m and whatever he gets paid per week as a Championship club.  You can talk about parachute payments if you like but it doesn't change the fact that we're taking a hit on him after taking a hit on Flint.  It's the right thing to do but it's still *** poor on the part of the club.

34 minutes ago, king boro said:

CHIEN LEE IN STEVE GIBSON OUT this will sort out all our money problems how much is middlebrough football club worth 50-100 million no problem for mr lee he has 7 billion hahahahahahahah 

can i mute this guy at all?

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, king boro said:

He's the biggest shareholder in Barnsley so he couldn't actually buy us without selling his stake in them.  I like your out of the box thinking though, as always ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1