Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SDS, it’s Dijksteel at Rockliffe

For all those asking about these 4 players at rockcliffe just before weekend. I have done some digging appears it was bola Browne and 2 premiership loan players, sketchy with details but I believe the

Posted Images

On 9/7/2019 at 5:34 PM, Prowler said:

*** it, if it's true, sell him for that. 

£9m is a lot for someone who just has potential at the moment. Add in a sell on clause and wish him the best. 

It's a load of ***. They only offered 8m for Fry in the Summer and are now supposedly willing to pay 9m for a lad that's never played a proper professional game? Nonsense.

17 hours ago, mendieta420 said:

It's a load of ***. They only offered 8m for Fry in the Summer and are now supposedly willing to pay 9m for a lad that's never played a proper professional game? Nonsense.

*league game

He has made his first team debut in the cup

20 hours ago, BillinghamBoro said:

We must be in a bad place if 5 million is seen as a bridge too far for us now. Can't just rely on cheap bargain buys hopefully coming good eventually. 

Tbh I don't really think it's that big a deal. There are plenty of players available for less that 5 mill that could strengthen any championship club. All you have to do is look back at transfers of the last few years in this league. You obvioulsy have to be smart with the scouting. It also looks like we are entering a time where Championship clubs generally pay less. Only 10 players this summer were over 6 mil. euros. in the championship and just 1 was over 10 mil. euros.

Over the last few years championship clubs have been better at making money in the transfermarket. Here are the total balance in the previous three summer transfer windows in euros (transfermarkt):

17/18 - +21 mil (spending 248 mil)

18/19 - +129 mil (spending 174 mil)

19/20 - +162 mil (spending 178 mil)

The transfer market has taken a visible step in the right direction in the Championship with clubs on average spending significantly less and making sure they are making a bigger profit. Maybe these are the small steps that the Championship are staring to go away from the huge spenders like us in 17/18 and instead are trying to cut their cloth by making sure that they aren't spending more than they are earning. 

• Like 1
On 9/10/2019 at 9:47 PM, Blanco said:

Ok this is one from left field but a player I would like to see Boro sign in January is Jack Byrne from Shamrock Rovers. I had seen him in the League of Ireland but didn’t know if he could step up. His performance in the last half hour for Ireland against Bulgaria tells me that he absolutely can. I would hope that Robbie Keane will be all over it. He would cost around 300k at most and is a very clever and skillful playmaker.

Byrne is okay, but championship is a step too far I'd say. Look at Richie Towell for instance, how has he done since he came over? On the flip side, Alan Browne has done far better than I expected. Worth a shot at that sort of money but he's not that young. As we saw with Wing, it takes time to learn team shapes and tactics - concepts and drills that academy players go through every day (eg unit pressing, transitions, etc) that the LOI simply doesnt have - its a far more individualistic league. 

4 hours ago, boroie said:

Byrne is okay, but championship is a step too far I'd say. Look at Richie Towell for instance, how has he done since he came over? On the flip side, Alan Browne has done far better than I expected. Worth a shot at that sort of money but he's not that young. As we saw with Wing, it takes time to learn team shapes and tactics - concepts and drills that academy players go through every day (eg unit pressing, transitions, etc) that the LOI simply doesnt have - its a far more individualistic league. 

Byrne only returned to the League of Ireland this season so I would assume that he is well familiar with the drills that you mentioned. Did you watch the Bulgaria game? 

If Boro have no money I am happy to suggest players who would not cost a lot but who have potential to improve us. I suggested Troy Parrott earlier this year and nobody thought it was a good idea. What’s your thought on Troy Parrott?

12 hours ago, Blanco said:

Byrne only returned to the League of Ireland this season so I would assume that he is well familiar with the drills that you mentioned. Did you watch the Bulgaria game? 

If Boro have no money I am happy to suggest players who would not cost a lot but who have potential to improve us. I suggested Troy Parrott earlier this year and nobody thought it was a good idea. What’s your thought on Troy Parrott?

Yup I watch LOI, Byrne though has obviously not done brilliantly in English football. I recall him doing pretty well on loan in Holland but not much else despite spells in lower league and Scotland. He's doing well right now but the standard is not great this season, even compared to recent seasons. I'd see his signing as a serious gamble, again look at my example of Towell who was the best player in LOI consistently for 2-3 years yet has sunk without a trace. JB has a season in LOI where he has looked pretty good, and played well in one game for the national team against a poor Bulgarian side, but I would reckon its unlikely to be sustainable for him. Despite that, I would love it if he did turn out to be this late blooming gem, but I just feel it is not going to happen. 

1 hour ago, boroie said:

Yup I watch LOI, Byrne though has obviously not done brilliantly in English football. I recall him doing pretty well on loan in Holland but not much else despite spells in lower league and Scotland. He's doing well right now but the standard is not great this season, even compared to recent seasons. I'd see his signing as a serious gamble, again look at my example of Towell who was the best player in LOI consistently for 2-3 years yet has sunk without a trace. JB has a season in LOI where he has looked pretty good, and played well in one game for the national team against a poor Bulgarian side, but I would reckon its unlikely to be sustainable for him. Despite that, I would love it if he did turn out to be this late blooming gem, but I just feel it is not going to happen. 

Agree with you on Towell. I was surprised that he didn’t get further in the game. There are gems to be found in the LOI and Byrne happens to be the brightest of them at the moment 

41 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Didn’t qpr have a player from Ireland last season who was getting rave reviews? Can’t remember his name like maybe he’s dropped off the radar now.

They signed Conor Masterson from Liverpool this summer. He's around 19-20 and is doing well in the Ireland U21's at the moment. It's probably a bit early to say he has dropped off the radar at his age. Unless you mean someone else that I can't think of right now?