oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2019/20 Season

10 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I find it hard to understand how similar sized clubs to us with similar resources can get deals over the line where we can't. 

Effectively the same recruitment team that spent £50m two years ago as we soaked up what Championship talent we could is still managing our transfer business. Them that brought in £40m for 3 players last year spent £20m of that on 3 other players we brought in, and we certainly got less than half the talent.

Working on a shoestring budget is clearly not their forte. It would seem unless we can walk into a room and blow clubs, players and agents away with huge sums of money, we're just not that good overall.

• Like 1
  • Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SDS, it’s Dijksteel at Rockliffe

For all those asking about these 4 players at rockcliffe just before weekend. I have done some digging appears it was bola Browne and 2 premiership loan players, sketchy with details but I believe the

Posted Images

For a tactic that’s success will be so reliant on the productivity of the wingers, our options there really are abysmal. I mean, we only have two players in our whole squad who actually (naturally) play there. And neither of those have been proven above League 1 and one of them has frequently proven that he is not good enough to make it in this league. The rest of the options are makeshift. 

I really hope that, despite Woodgate saying that he sees Tav as a central midfield, he is willing to give him a go on the wing. Because when Johnson reverts back to norm, we really are going to be struggling. 

I honestly cannot believe we have yet again failed to fix our wing positions. 

• Like 1

Would you say that Salah and Mane are wingers? How about Ronaldo when he was at Real? How about Sterling at Man City? Closer to home, was Stuani a winger? These are all wide forwards that ostensibly start their runs from a wing and end up in central attacking positions. With attacking fullbacks and a fluid midfield, you don't necessarily need width from your wide forwards, they are unlikely to be reaching the corner flag and whipping it in. This is where Brown and Fletcher fit in to the system, and we'll give MJ and Tav a chance there too. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

By the way, just to add, at this stage I would certainly take Markovic as an option if it is at all possible!

Saw this earlier, I’d be on the blower to him first thing.

3 minutes ago, Will said:

Saw this earlier, I’d be on the blower to him first thing.

Is he even good anymore? Where’s he playing now and what’s he been up to? 

Seemed a player with huge potential but has kind of just wandered off.

10 minutes ago, boroie said:

Would you say that Salah and Mane are wingers? How about Ronaldo when he was at Real? How about Sterling at Man City? Closer to home, was Stuani a winger? These are all wide forwards that ostensibly start their runs from a wing and end up in central attacking positions. With attacking fullbacks and a fluid midfield, you don't necessarily need width from your wide forwards, they are unlikely to be reaching the corner flag and whipping it in. This is where Brown and Fletcher fit in to the system, and we'll give MJ and Tav a chance there too. 

God labelling Marvin Johnson as a wide forward has me even more worried, our fans are overrating him so badly on twitter it's hurting me 

• Like 1
Just now, BoroSmoggie said:

Is he even good anymore? Where’s he playing now and what’s he been up to? 

Seemed a player with huge potential but has kind of just wandered off.

Liverpool spent £20m on him a few years ago and ended up getting shot of him in January to Fulham for nowt on a 6-month contract, Mitrovic apparently put in a good word for him. He played 45 minutes and apparently came off injured with a calf strain and never played for them again. Needless to say, they also got rid at the end of the season.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, boroie said:

All of those you named are a combination of wingers and inside forwards.

From the very little I’ve seen of Browne so far he’ll make a decent inside forward. 

Fletcher is a striker not an inside forward, I think that is pretty clear. Other than his goal, he was pretty anonymous for the majority of Friday night’s game. You named Stuani above... exactly my point. He wasn’t a winger/inside forward. He was a striker, like he later proved in Spain.

Woodgate has said that Tav is a central (box to box) midfielder which I would agree with but, currently, I think he’s probably in the best two that we have for our inside forward positions. 

Johnson has proven that he struggles at this level. One game (a couple of good crosses and one good strike from distance) isn’t going to override the opinion I’ve developed of him from watching him over the last two seasons. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

Liverpool spent £20m on him a few years ago and ended up getting shot of him in January to Fulham for nowt on a 6-month contract, Mitrovic apparently put in a good word for him. He played 45 minutes and apparently came off injured with a calf strain and never played for them again. Needless to say, they also got rid at the end of the season.

Cheers. Seems he hasn’t played much football recently. I guess if wages are cheap then he’d at least be an option.

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

All of those you named are a combination of wingers and inside forwards.

From the very little I’ve seen of Browne so far he’ll make a decent inside forward. 

Fletcher is a striker not an inside forward, I think that is pretty clear. Other than his goal, he was pretty anonymous for the majority of Friday’s night. You named Stuani above... exactly my point. He wasn’t a winger/inside forward. He was a striker, like he later proved in Spain.

Woodgate has said that Tav is a central (box to box) midfielder which I would agree with but, currently, I think he’s probably in the best two that we have for our inside forward positions. 

Johnson has proven that he struggles at this level. One game (a couple of good crosses and one good strike from distance) isn’t going to override the opinion I’ve developed of him from watching him over the last two seasons. 

Agree with everything you just said

Why are some people misremembering the Luton game and how Johnson played, he did okay nothing special and he's still not good enough to start for us except for odd games

Just seen Fulham got Bobby Reid. As if there front 3 wasn’t good enough..

if they don’t get top 2 with the squad they have, I’d be extremely suprised.

Edit: And Harrison Reed from Saints

Edit 2: And Josh Onomah. 

• Sad 1

When karanka took over and I was excited we had Curtis main on h”the wing at one point, and I’d say we have a lot more to be excited for now, love hearing the rumours on here but feel we get to analytical and obsessessed on this board

1 minute ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

God labelling Marvin Johnson as a wide forward has me even more worried, our fans are overrating him so badly on twitter it's hurting me 

Really? They've changed their tune a bit. Just need to look at this place last week to get a consensus on how most felt about him.

That Luton game was the best I've seen him play though, the most involved he was anyway. I said a week or so ago that we may need to give him another chance as a necessity and given the way the window has ended, that's even more true now. He's started well, got the first oneBoro MOTM of the season, we've got him now so we may as well see if he can continue to prove us wrong.

Certainly think he's better off on the right than we've ever seen on the left.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Cheers. Seems he hasn’t played much football recently. I guess if wages are cheap then he’d at least be an option.

I mean, he was on £50k a week at Liverpool. One of the biggest problems for them in trying to get rid of him. No idea if he took a wage drop going to Fulham but I'd say probably not much if anything. I think given he'd still want a decent wage as well as the risk factor, it's probably best we stay away. Imagine he may end up back in Portugal or Spain.