oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2019/20 Season

Yes, if Woodgate is wanting to play out from the back, Flint is not going to be much use. I'd rather we got someone in ready made for the role.

Would like to think that we have a replacement lined up, mind. I don't want our CB options against Luton to be Shotton, an unfit Fry and an unfit Ayala.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SDS, it’s Dijksteel at Rockliffe

For all those asking about these 4 players at rockcliffe just before weekend. I have done some digging appears it was bola Browne and 2 premiership loan players, sketchy with details but I believe the

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

you just know he'll score against us at least once next season lol

Suits Warnock down to the ground.  Suited Pulis I suppose but he never really got going for whatever reason.

3 minutes ago, Brunners said:

you just know he'll score against us at least once next season lol

I don't really care tbh. He’s on big wages, cost a big fee and isn’t delivering. If he had any chance of fitting moving forwards I might keep him but he doesn’t so get whatever we can for him.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Will said:

I don't really care tbh. He’s on big wages, cost a big fee and isn’t delivering. If he had any chance of fitting moving forwards I might keep him but he doesn’t so get whatever we can for him.

Oh I wasn't saying don't sell him, absolutely do sell him, I was merely saying he's totally gonna rediscover how to score goals once he leaves.

long term follower, first timer poster. Work in London as a Banker (I know, bring on the insults) but thought I could shed some light on the transfer financing chat from a few days ago, saw a lot of stuff that was off the mark.  Long post so apologies but here we go. 

football is v niche for financing and not a lot, if any, banks will fund transfers outside the very tip top (due to mismanaged clubs e.g. take your pick) there are however firms that’ll do it (see “23 Capital”) I work with corporate clients so the exact figures below may be off the mark (happy to be corrected). Where I say Bank I mean finance party not necessarily an actual bank.

when you sell a player and have a payment schedule you can use a bank to fund a large portion of the fee upfront. in corporates this would be 75% of the transaction value, bank then collects all the actual payments from the payer and pays the cash onto the club, net of a fee.

You base the facility on the credit worthiness of the buying party, this means; league income, merchandise sales, fan base, likelihood of relegation, (likelihood of dropping out of Europe if were being ambitious here)  are all taken into account.  So, with Traore to Wolves, we’d be able to get a decent amount paid up front by a financier, with Wolves getting c.£120m of league income alone 18/19, plus 3 years of parachutes if they got relegated year-1, securing 3 years of strong cashflows in a worst case. You want the league revenues, they are secured vs transfer income or gate and merchandise sales which are 1 off in nature.

Bamford to Leeds, not such a good story, (Leeds were the most successful Championship club at generating match-day and commercial revenue (c.£16.5m in each category), accounting for just over 80% of its total revenue 2017/18). ie if they stop selling match day tickets, or got relegated they wouldn’t be able to pay the bank as revenue would rapidly decline. You might think “Leeds aint getting relegated”, but If I’m lending to Boro based on Leeds staying in the Championship (or getting promoted) I’m not putting anywhere near £10m on that (appreciate Bamford wasn’t £10m upfront).

Note. I can’t see anyone financing any performance related payments, only contracted ones (again if anyone knows different happy to be corrected here, but from a credit perspective its a massive risk) 

Pricing would also depend on these factors, can’t see even a big transfer to a PL club going for less than 5% margins (as I said these aren’t banks financing, small boutiques, so you’re really paying for the cash here) so a mid table championship club pricing would be eye watering. 

Would we really try and get a £10m transfer paid upfront for a (lets say) 8% margin (number pulled out my jacksie), i.e. £800k in interest p.a.(+fees!)??? or just wait the 3 years out (again no idea if thats the payment profile). 

Hope thats helpful, or at least mildly interesting. 

Sources 

https://www.premierleague.com/this-is-pl/the-premier-league/final-standings

https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/uk/Documents/sports-business-group/deloitte-uk-annual-review-of-football-finance-2019.pdf (DECENT READ)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, nunthorpered said:

Flint to Cardiff is nearly there. Should get done 

It was strange when the guy on bbctees mentioned this rumour and Woody literally made a ‘hmm’ noise.. he later listed him as a one of the important dressing room leaders.

Im personally happy to see the back of him, I’d rather make space in the squad for Wood or Stubbs, even if it sets us back in the short term.

interestingly, if we start the first game with a back 4 of Friend, Ayala, Shotton, Howson.. don’t all their contracts run out this year?

2 hours ago, "KM" said:

From the little bit I listened to on the radio Woodgate did say SG had the final say on transfers. He also said the committee would still be taking into consideration any players put forward by the recruitment team. So I don’t think much is going to improve on the transfer front. 

Seems a little harsh, Pulis used to have the final say. How do we know the recruitment team under Bevington (who has only had a year in the job to put his mark on things) didn't put forward players but Pulis had his own priorities?

Be glad to see flint go. Approaching 30, big wages no doubt, would be a complete hindrance to any team wanting to play the ball out from the back. Definitely better options out there, bielik from arsenal who we were linked with recently would be a good replacement on a loan. Plays defensive midfield too but as far as I know his natural position is a centre back. Excelled at Charlton last season.

1 minute ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Seems a little harsh, Pulis used to have the final say. How do we know the recruitment team under Bevington (who has only had a year in the job to put his mark on things) didn't put forward players but Pulis had his own priorities?

Yeah If you look at the signings we made last year they all have pulis's fingerprints all over them. So I'd say well see a significant change in the kind of players we bring in. The methods behind the signing of these players may not change but the type of player certainly will.

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

Of course we've missed out on good players over the last few years, I remember us being close to signing players like Meunier and Ziyech a few years ago but aren't those the obvious players to identify? 

It's easy to spot the best players in every league if you watch enough football. The real skill as a scout is finding the players that no one else is looking at. 

The other more worrying factor is who is identifying players like Fletcher and Gestede?

Fletcher was a Monk target and to be fair to him, he's not a bad player, we just paid too much but Monk and his agent pal allegedly had a role in that.

Gestede was signed 2 and a half years ago, so lots has changed since

13 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

It was strange when the guy on bbctees mentioned this rumour and Woody literally made a ‘hmm’ noise.. he later listed him as a one of the important dressing room leaders.

Im personally happy to see the back of him, I’d rather make space in the squad for Wood or Stubbs, even if it sets us back in the short term.

interestingly, if we start the first game with a back 4 of Friend, Ayala, Shotton, Howson.. don’t all their contracts run out this year?

I don’t trust anything anyone at the club says at the moment myself. It’s all spin and fluff for the fans