oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2019/20 Season

2 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

Sure Flint was all wrong for the 'style' but I'd say Ayala wont suit it either the only passes he tries to make are 40 yard Hollywood balls and him in a high line is asking for trouble. Shotton aint the answer either, I think he needs to sell Shotton and get in a CB who's athletic but who can also carry a ball without looking gangly or awkward.

Clarke-Salter on loan would be perfect him and Fry together would be a good pairing doubt it will happen but relying on Ayala staying fit and not getting caught out in a high line is wishful thinking if that's the plan.

Shotton is decent at bringing the ball out with his feet, would even beat a few men whilst he was playing at right back. The real issue is his shocking passing, I'm fine with him at 3rd choice CB tbh, there are other areas we need to strengthen first.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SDS, it’s Dijksteel at Rockliffe

For all those asking about these 4 players at rockcliffe just before weekend. I have done some digging appears it was bola Browne and 2 premiership loan players, sketchy with details but I believe the

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Will said:

So £3m per year without even considering wages? I'm pretty sure we've heard that Randolph is one of our highest paid players so they could easily be looking at £50k a week on top of that. Over £5m a year seems very pricey for a Keeper when they have no re-sale value at the end of it.

I don't think they're that worried about re-sale value for a keeper. They want a keeper who'll keep them in the Premier League, if they stay up they'll worry about that later. Given the amount of keepers they've gone through recently, I think they'll be dying out for a safe pair of hands. Randolph will surely come cheaper than Butland, too.

30 minutes ago, "KM" said:

I know people are getting excited about the prospect of some transfer news even if it is outgoings but I don't think we'll see the money being reinvested in terms of transfer fees. Think a lot of it is going to cover wages for current players and potential loan signings. 

I think a lot of us have accepted that outgoings are inevitable and aren't going to immediately spell new purchases by any means. But each one is one step closer to being able to deal in the window, and selling these 2 might mean we're less likely to lose our best young players like Dael Fry, players who actually fit into the system we're trying to play. Randolph's kicking has got better but he's not the best on the ball, we saw that under Monk, as much as losing him is still a big loss for his main attributes. Flint is useless in our system of play so getting his wages off the books and as much as we can back from what we paid is good for us right now.

The club will be hoping that a few more go even if these two leave. Gestede, Braithwaite and Johnson are three that i am sure they and the supporters would happily wave goodbye to. Then there is Saville, Shotton and McNair who all may go. Then there are a number of players who would raise good money but the fans dont want to sell. We all know who they are.

Busy 3 weeks to come then!

9 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Yes, because it suits my narrative ?

If you guys have a look you will also find some quotes where he says that Gestede was his number one target in that January transfer window just after we signed him.  And because he said it in the media it is therefore true ?

However a week or two later on January 31st he also said:

"We need to improve the team and the club knew a month and a half ago the players that I wanted.  I always said the the aim in the transfer window was to improve the squad.  At the moment we haven't done that.  We will be disappointed if nobody else comes in but I have tried my best.  Teams in our position are signing players for £14m - we are signing players that didn't play in the Championship.  I don't know why we haven't signed our targets.  That is not my job.  I am the coach.  When we got promotion last season, there were a lot of people who got a medal.  A lot of people had a medal and a lot of people had done their job.  Now?  I don't know....With this group of players, the only thing I can do is trust and believe"

A ringing endorsement there if ever there was one for the work we did in the transfer window ?  Sorry, not we, he, because he absolutely definitely 100% wanted those players and there can be no doubt about that because right after we signed them he said some nice things in the media and that's such an unusual thing for a manager to do.  Umm, right? ? 

A couple of weeks later however he seems to be saying something else.  I mean he seems to be saying that he didn't actually want those players and he wanted different players who we didn't sign.  He seems to be trying to distance himself from our activity in that transfer window because he is unhappy with it.  However that cannot possibly be true because he got the players he wanted and yet he doesn't feel that the squad has been improved.  So he really really really wanted these players but at the same time he didn't think that they would improve the squad?  Weird that.  He was a complex fella though our Aitor.  However I do wonder if there are other possible reasons that an employee may publicly go along with his bosses' wishes and tow the party line?  It's a puzzle ?

Gibson wanted Downing.  Gibson wanted to bring him back here and make a statement about his and our ambitions.  Karanka went along with it because if the fella who is paying your wages wants something then that's what you do.  Karanka also comes from a footballing culture where coaches often have little or no say on transfers so it wasn't exactly an unusual situation for him.  By the end of January 2017 however Karanka was close to having had enough and was clearly *** off with a number of things and actually said what he thought.  And what he thought was that we'd signed players who didn't improve the squad, who clearly weren't the players that he wanted and he wanted to make it absolutely clear to everyone that he had nothing to do with it.

Like I said, if you want to believe something else then crack on.  Ignorance is bliss apparently.

You'll get likes and people agreeing because everyone likes a conspiracy theory and can never find fault in Karanka but whilst Gestede and Bamford weren't his first choices, he certainly gave them the go ahead and you have posted nothing but rhetoric to disprove that.

The simple fact is that the signings proposed by AK in January were a joke and equally unattainable. Anyone who thinks Jese and Bojan would have kept us up just needs to look at their careers since. Equally Snodgrass just wasn't interested but AK and the recruitment team simply didn't do enough to find decent players available in a transfer window which is notoriously difficult.

Our failures came from thinking we did enough in the summer and when it comes to January to rescue it, it's already too late. I don't disagree that they weren't his first choices, in fact they were scrapping the barrel but to claim he knew nothing about them is a fallacy.

1 minute ago, thatoldchestnut said:

The club will be hoping that a few more go even if these two leave. Gestede, Braithwaite and Johnson are three that i am sure they and the supporters would happily wave goodbye to. Then there is Saville, Shotton and McNair who all may go. Then there are a number of players who would raise good money but the fans dont want to sell. We all know who they are.

Busy 3 weeks to come then!

In an ideal world I would get rid of Flint, Shotton, Saville, Gestede, Braitwaite and Johnson. 
Still think McNair will be a good midfielder for us going forwards and I really don't want us to get rid of Randolph (But £12 Million is a lot of money).

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

CT you're also ignoring the fact that we chased the players that karanka wanted all January and failed to get them in. So we fell back on those 3, and karanka was hardly going to say "no I don't want extra players". Same with Rhodes, we needed another body up front and Gibson got him the best goalscorer in the league at the time. 

My point is that it's not as simple as one man buying players that only he wants. Theres the scouting team, the finance guys and the coaching staff. I have no doubt that if ak had said "I will absolutely not use this player" the signings would not have went through.

I thought I'd be ignoring something.  We signed Gestede on the 4th January by the way and Bamford was the 18th.  I take it we fell back on Gestede after spending three days trying to get the players Karanka wanted?  Karanka says everything that needs to be said in those quotes and yes sometimes it is as simple as one man buying players he wants.  When he owns the business he can do whatever he likes such as Abramovich buying Shevchenko for Chelsea years back.  He wanted him so he bought him.

Just to add what I said earlier... randolph is not pushing to leave etc but he thinks if the money Villa has quoted comes then it is a easy decision for the club. Pretty much what we all now know is happening in terms of finances

2 hours ago, SmogDane said:

Did you really not read the last couple of pages? 
It wasn't only NB, that argued ... But also a brand new profile, arguing radical enough to make CT look like the savior once more... ?

And when the final long well prepared speach has gotten the right applauds, that profile suddenly stops arguing and keep quiet for months untill needed ?

The saviour of what?  It's an internet forum of Boro fans.  I was only joking the other day when I said I was mild mannered reporter Clark Kent you know ?

1 hour ago, BearSmog said:

Good deal for both clubs. 

Boro get a decent fee for a 30 year old who doesn't fit the current style of play. 

Cardiff get a player who fits their ethos perfectly. They get a lot of goals from set pieces so can see Flint rediscovering his goalscoring prowess. 

Indeed.  Makes sense from both sides ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Foogle said:

The other thing about Randolph is that we don't know how he'd be playing it out from the back, a great shotstopper but always seemed a bit dodgy with the ball at his feet.

That's a fair point.  He's always looked a bit too casual to me in that regard but I'm a fan of GK's who can do the basic stopping goals stuff more than those who can knock some nice passes around.  It's still decent money mind.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

You'll get likes and people agreeing because everyone likes a conspiracy theory and can never find fault in Karanka but whilst Gestede and Bamford weren't his first choices, he certainly gave them the go ahead and you have posted nothing but rhetoric to disprove that.

The simple fact is that the signings proposed by AK in January were a joke and equally unattainable. Anyone who thinks Jese and Bojan would have kept us up just needs to look at their careers since. Equally Snodgrass just wasn't interested but AK and the recruitment team simply didn't do enough to find decent players available in a transfer window which is notoriously difficult.

Our failures came from thinking we did enough in the summer and when it comes to January to rescue it, it's already too late. I don't disagree that they weren't his first choices, in fact they were scrapping the barrel but to claim he knew nothing about them is a fallacy.

Hang on a tick, why are you at all dragging AK into that? You say our failures come from thinking we did enough in the summer and it was too late when it came to January. What on Earth was the recruitment team doing in that time? Sitting on their ***? Comes to January and all of a sudden, despite managing the team and coaching the players, it's partly on him for not finding any realistic targets?

At least he put forward some players who actually might have made a difference, it's not on him if none of them actually cared for joining us, he at least had a few players in mind who could have improved us. And after putting those forward, he looks at our recruitment team and our negotiating team bringing in Gestede, Bamford and Guedioura... well he's hardly going to say no when he knows he needs players, is he? But bringing up a list of players he wanted in the past says a lot more for the rest of the club than it does Karanka, I've no idea why you're pinning that on him.

Bear in mind we've gotten rid of Karanka and Orta and are signing even more dross on crap deals. It's clear as day where the problems lie in terms of bringing players in.

Just now, wilsoncgp said:

Hang on a tick, why are you at all dragging AK into that? You say our failures come from thinking we did enough in the summer and it was too late when it came to January. What on Earth was the recruitment team doing in that time? Sitting on their ***? Comes to January and all of a sudden, despite managing the team and coaching the players, it's partly on him for not finding any realistic targets?

At least he put forward some players who actually might have made a difference, it's not on him if none of them actually cared for joining us, he at least had a few players in mind who could have improved us. And after putting those forward, he looks at our recruitment team and our negotiating team bringing in Gestede, Bamford and Guedioura... well he's hardly going to say no when he knows he needs players, is he? But bringing up a list of players he wanted in the past says a lot more for the rest of the club than it does Karanka, I've no idea why you're pinning that on him.

Bear in mind we've gotten rid of Karanka and Orta and are signing even more dross on crap deals. It's clear as day where the problems lie in terms of bringing players in.

The absolute desperation to not blame AK for anything is mad, this wasn't an AK issue but he was a part of it.

Much to the apparent surprise of our fans in English football transfers are highly influenced by the manager. Our recruitment team merely scout players, make lists and then Bausor will try to do a deal with the club. Dunno where people get the idea in English football that recruitment teams do anything more than that.

51 minutes ago, Lurker said:

So hypothetically we could sell the following

Flint £4m (£1m loss)

Randolph £12m (£7m profit)

Fry £20m. ( Say £17-8m profit)

I think that would all be good business and would hopefully give us plenty to spend. Even if we spent £20m we should be able to significantly improve the squad.

Had no update on Fry though and no idea on Randolph. 

That would also leave us as it stands with a back five of Mejias, Howson, Shotton, Ayala and Friend and that worries me a little, well a lot actually.  We still wouldn't have reduced the wage bill by that much, which would mean that a decent chunk of the transfer proceeds would need to go towards making up the shortfall at a guess and then we'd need to try and strengthen the squad without increasing the wage bill by too much.  That would be a difficult job.