oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2019/20 Season

53 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

You seem to be equating 'putting names forward' as being responsible in any significant way for our recruitment and giving him an equal share of the blame as people whose job it is to put names forward. Maybe if our scouting department was actually any good to begin with, he wouldn't have had to put names forward at all? After half a season in the Prem, our scouts and recruitment went back to targets we'd had in the Championship, targets that didn't solve the problems we had. That's not Karanka's fault, nor is it his fault that he had no better ideas, it wasn't his job to have them. Just because managers can and do suggest targets does not at all mean they're equally responsible as those whose job it is to find targets.

He's a manager, he is the man in charge. I don't get why you are so desperate to distance him from it?

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SDS, it’s Dijksteel at Rockliffe

For all those asking about these 4 players at rockcliffe just before weekend. I have done some digging appears it was bola Browne and 2 premiership loan players, sketchy with details but I believe the

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Sell to reduce the wage bill and then buy some players.

I honestly don't think we are going to buy any players other than freebies and loans.

And the good news keeps on coming. We were linked to him before I believe..

4 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Sell to reduce the wage bill and then buy some players.

That's what I'm hoping, it's smart business to reduce our running costs and also why I would've liked the signing of Lowe. Looks like he could step up a division, has room to develop in a position we're desperate for and he'd probably come with low wage demands.

Plenty more fish in the sea, I'm just worried that we're not fishing at all...

1 minute ago, Foogle said:

That's what I'm hoping, it's smart business to reduce our running costs and also why I would've liked the signing of Lowe. Looks like he could step up a division, has room to develop in a position we're desperate for and he'd probably come with low wage demands.

Plenty more fish in the sea, I'm just worried that we're not fishing at all...

I really do think that we are looking.  We're going to do it on our terms though for better or worse.  Are you more bothered that we're missing out on a player that you feel is really good or that we're missing out on a player and we haven't really signed anyone yet?

I believe we'll have to stick to our guns about not paying more than we value the player at (as long as the valuation is realistic) for a couple of windows before clubs get used to the idea.

12 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I really do think that we are looking.  We're going to do it on our terms though for better or worse.  Are you more bothered that we're missing out on a player that you feel is really good or that we're missing out on a player and we haven't really signed anyone yet?

I'm definitely against making signings for the sake of it absolutely despised how many CMs we ended up with last year. I just feel that if we were to make one signing this summer it should be a winger as we are totally deficient in that position. Jamal Lowe fits a lot of the criteria for me: pace, end product, young with sell on value and room to improve, won't break the bank. I'd equally like to sign someone like Marcus Maddison for similar reasons for example.

Apparently a lot of Championship interest in Younousse Sankhare (at £4M) , would sort us out at LB but is also versatile for other positions.  I imagine these type of player are dreamworld for us at the moment.

Hey-ho , lets squeeze another year out of George. 

18 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

He's a manager, he is the man in charge. I don't get why you are so desperate to distance him from it?

Exactly what do you think he was in charge of? Who exactly do you think he's ultimately responsible for?

I'm doing so because your belief is that he takes responsibility for something which isn't in line with his responsibilities as a manager or a head coach and you're helping to perpetuate the idea that everything that goes wrong at a football club can ultimately be laid at the manager's doorstep in some significant way or form. It brings us into the sacking culture of modern football where clubs expect their fortunes to change for the better every time they sack a man and yet never even bother looking elsewhere in the club. He wasn't manager of the scouts, he wasn't manager of the recruitment department as a whole, he was the manager of the squad of players he had to work with.

As I've said previously, the proof of this is that the exact same crap has been happening at our club long after he's been gone. There is and has been a systemic recruitment problem at our club for some time now and to think that any one manager we've had in the past few years is just as culpable as the people hiring the manager or the team we've consistently kept in a job throughout the years whose only job it is to find and provide the players we need for any one manager is to err, I'm afraid.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Exactly what do you think he was in charge of? Who exactly do you think he's ultimately responsible for?

I'm doing so because your belief is that he takes responsibility for something which isn't in line with his responsibilities as a manager or a head coach and you're helping to perpetuate the idea that everything that goes wrong at a football club can ultimately be laid at the manager's doorstep in some significant way or form. It brings us into the sacking culture of modern football where clubs expect their fortunes to change for the better every time they sack a man and yet never even bother looking elsewhere in the club. He wasn't manager of the scouts, he wasn't manager of the recruitment department as a whole, he was the manager of the squad of players he had to work with.

As I've said previously, the proof of this is that the exact same crap has been happening at our club long after he's been gone. There is and has been a systemic recruitment problem at our club for some time now and to think that any one manager we've had in the past few years is just as culpable as the people hiring the manager or the team we've consistently kept in a job throughout the years whose only job it is to find and provide the players we need for any one manager is to err, I'm afraid.

The manager chooses the team, chooses the tactics and works with the club to find players to fit the aforementioned. The manager and recruitment come up with lists of who to pursue, unfortunately in that transfer window we chased unattainable players and then were left at the end of the window panicking when they didn't happen and we had to work through the list to find who was available.

All I have ever said is that he is part of the problem. As are any managers in charge at the time, don't get me wrong I don't rate our recruitment but the signings of all managers have had blatant emphasis from each manager.

The club has spoken about how Fletcher, Christie and Johnson were very much Monk signings which he insisted on. Do the recruitment team take the blame for them too?

Also lets not make out like our transfers are all terrible, we made a lot on Traore which the recruitment team, AK and Pulis all deserve credit for.

All I've tried to say from the start is that our premier League failure, falls at the feet of all in the club. Recruitment was only a part of it and hence why AK hasn't came out afterwards and blamed anyone. 

54 minutes ago, Foogle said:

I'm definitely against making signings for the sake of it absolutely despised how many CMs we ended up with last year. I just feel that if we were to make one signing this summer it should be a winger as we are totally deficient in that position. Jamal Lowe fits a lot of the criteria for me: pace, end product, young with sell on value and room to improve, won't break the bank. I'd equally like to sign someone like Marcus Maddison for similar reasons for example.

Oh yeah, I wasn't suggesting that you wanted signings for the sake of it.  I meant do you really want Lowe or are you just eager for us to get moving with some signings, particularly attacking ones?

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Mad_Dog_Poggy said:

Apparently a lot of Championship interest in Younousse Sankhare (at £4M) , would sort us out at LB but is also versatile for other positions.  I imagine these type of player are dreamworld for us at the moment.

Hey-ho , lets squeeze another year out of George. 

Can't see us being able to afford a £4mill signing

Karanka was the head coach, I was told by someone who worked at the club and did a lot with bausor that other than a few of his own suggestions, Karanka neither had nor wanted very little to do with that side of things. 

Also go back and read Gary gills interviews from 2016, creaming himself over how long they’d followed de roon and Fischer and how great it was to finally get them. Why should it be any different for the majority of our other signings made in that period?

Clayton signed not even a year after Karanka joined.

vossen was almost signed pre karanka

Downing, pretty obvious who wanted him...

Rhodes, I’d look at the weird last minute goings on and him not exactly being a nailed on starter and the fact Karanka literally called him a ‘gift from the chairman’ to work out who decided to get him.

Ones where Karanka had an influence you could say Gaston, Kike and Damia.

After promotion 

De Roon and Fischer already claimed by Gill

Traore and Guzan I think we can safely say recruitment team.

Valdes Id say was a Karanka signing

Negredo, Espinosa and Barragan I’m not sure. Like you could say they were Karanka signings but surely that’s based on nothing more than them being Spanish?

Going off rumours from back then and on here at the time I’d say the players Karanka himself wanted that summer were Llorente, Deleofeu, Valdes, Jesé and Bojan. All the rest imo were recruitment team suggestions.