oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2019/20 Season

It's an interesting thing on the youngsters...

You look back at the Robbo era and see some of the young players who gave memorable performances. Steve Baker (McManaman Man Mark, anyone?), Robbie Stockdale, Craig Harrison, Andy Campbell, Anthony Ormerod, Jason Gavin, Mark Summerbell...

How many of them did anything of note after leaving Boro? None, really... Yet they all had some decent performances and were considered 'bright young things' during that time... 

Still remember some of the Summerbell challenges in the middle of the park... ?

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SDS, it’s Dijksteel at Rockliffe

For all those asking about these 4 players at rockcliffe just before weekend. I have done some digging appears it was bola Browne and 2 premiership loan players, sketchy with details but I believe the

Posted Images

7 hours ago, BoroYorkie said:

From the couple of friendlies I’ve watched Reading looks very decent. Gets forward, puts a decent cross in and covered well. 

Coulson has impressed too though, especially against hartlepool he seemed involved in everything.

• Like 1

Our highest earners last season:

Jordan Hugill - 60k (at West Ham, we were paying 30k)

Martin Braithwaite - 55k (Not sure how much we were paying him while he was out on loan)

Stewart Downing - 45k 

Darren Randolph/Ryan Shotton/Britt Assombalonga - 30k

Now obviously we've fixed part of the problem with Hugill and Downing gone, but I assume that MB is back on his full wages (and that doesn't include bonuses) and we can't sell Shotton until we have a replacement lined up (and no bugger wants him.)

Britt and Randolph are our most valuable assets and would go some way to sorting out our huge wage bill if we sold them, but replacing them quality-wise could be an issue considering Gibson is only sanctioning 50% of the fee received going back into the transfer kitty.

26 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Martin Braithwaite - 55k (Not sure how much we were paying him while he was out on loan)

Stewart Downing - 45k 

I read somewhere that the current squad has 10 players on more than £20k per week. I can't remember where I saw it and I have no idea if it is true. But it really wouldn't surprise me.

4 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I read somewhere that the current squad has 10 players on more than £20k per week. I can't remember where I saw it and I have no idea if it is true. But it really wouldn't surprise me.

That's pretty accurate, yeah. Also I forgot to include Mikel, i'm not certain how much it was but it was close to MB I believe.

5 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

21 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Stewart Downing - 45k 

Now obviously we've fixed part of the problem with Hugill and Downing gone, but I assume that MB is back on his full wages (and that doesn't include bonuses) and we can't sell Shotton until we have a replacement lined up (and no bugger wants him.)

Britt and Randolph are our most valuable assets and would go some way to sorting out our huge wage bill if we sold them, but replacing them quality-wise could be an issue considering Gibson is only sanctioning 50% of the fee received going back into the transfer kitty.

Also what were we paying Besic and Mikel we also got rid of Dimi/Lonergan and only replaced with Meijas so more money saved. Oh and that very wise investment for Van la Parra?

14 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

That's pretty accurate, yeah. Also I forgot to include Mikel, i'm not certain how much it was but it was close to MB I believe.

As a guess of the current squad I reckon the following are all on or above the £20,000 p/w mark.

- Randolph, Friend, Ayala, Shotton, Clayton, Howson, McNair, Gestede, Braithwaite and Assombalonga.

Considering we have let Downing, Hugill, Besic, Mikel, La Parra and Flint all go. That should cut our wage bill down a fair chunk. Still think we have a few more to shift to be in a healthy position. 

Ideally if we could shift out Braithwaite, Gestede and Shotton that should take enough off. What's more likely to happen is we will get stuck with those and have to sell someone who we don't really want to.

29 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Stewart Downing - 45k 

It is widely reported in media that week that Hugills wages of approx £37k at West Ham are causing Wigan and other interested parties issues.

It was widely reported in many papers downing was on £30k. That is figure most papers have all seem to agree on.

Pulis himself said our highest earner was on £48k. I dont know how to post links but if you type in to google "tony pulis £48,000" there an interview he did with The Times Newspaper where he said this. He then responded to MB criticism of him by saying he astonished he could criticise anyone as MB highest earning championship player he has ever come across. Which putting them two things together tells us MB on £48k

4 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

It is widely reported in media that week that Hugills wages of approx £37k at West Ham are causing Wigan and other interested parties issues.

It was widely reported in many papers downing was on £30k. That is figure most papers have all seem to agree on.

Pulis himself said our highest earner was on £48k. I dont know how to post links but if you type in to google "tony pulis £48,000" there an interview he did with The Times Newspaper where he said this. He then responded to MB criticism of him by saying he astonished he could criticise anyone as MB highest earning championship player he has ever come across. Which putting them two things together tells us MB on £48k

We were definitely paying Hugill 30k a week when he was here. 100% certain on that.

MB might have been 55k AFTER bonuses, but he was definitely our highest earner. Though TP was never above lying or twisting the truth, especially in the media.

Downing was on 45k which is why the club tried their very best not to trigger a one year contract extension. He got a payrise when we were promoted to the PL but the club, in their infinite wisdom decided not to bother including a relegation pay reduction clause.

16 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I'm sure when he first signed it was roughly £35k then if we got promoted it would double. Could be that he had a relegation clause of 40% which would mean his £70k would drop to £42k. I'm probably wrong, but I'm certain we matched his wages that he was on at West Ham but spread it over 4 years instead of the 2 years left on his West Ham contract.

18 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I'm sure when he first signed it was roughly £35k then if we got promoted it would double. Could be that he had a relegation clause of 40% which would mean his £70k would drop to £42k. I'm probably wrong, but I'm certain we matched his wages that he was on at West Ham but spread it over 4 years instead of the 2 years left on his West Ham contract.

@TLF10 You are right in terms of the wages, just had a look back at the Gazette's old articles on us signing him. £30k per week they state. But the matching of wages is true, it was £60k he was on at West Ham not £70k.

Either way he has gone now and his substantial wages have gone with him. Hopefully the club press on with getting some of the other high earners out. Hopefully they can get the players out that they deem surplus (Gestede etc) rather than having to shift out high earners that are useful (Randolph and Assombalonga).

3 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

@TLF10 You are right in terms of the wages, just had a look back at the Gazette's old articles on us signing him. £30k per week they state. But the matching of wages is true, it was £60k he was on at West Ham not £70k.

Bloody hell the club hierarchy are mad. I cant see this sort of thing happening at say Burnley!