oneBoro Forum

The "if only" thread

If only we had a proper sized goalkeeper in the 1997 FA Cup final.

If only we turned out a side of kids at Blackburn

If only we had defended for the last 10 minutes in the 97 League Cup final instead of going for a second.

If only we'd had that penalty for the push on Viduka in the UEFA Cup final

If only we'd replaced McClaren with Ottmar Hitzfeld

If only we'd given Southgate the season to get us back up, if only we'd never appointed Strachan

If only we'd given Mowbray the money

If only Vossen's shot had it the net at Wembley and not the post

If only we'd backed Karanka in the winter transfer window

If only we'd not appointed Agnew

If only we'd given Monk the season

If only we'd not appointed Pulis

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

If only we'd honoured the Blackburn game in some way, so we stayed up on 42 points.

If only Ramirez hadn't discovered sexting.

If only Afonso Alves had been a goalscorer worthy of his transfer fee.

If only Mr & Mrs Pulis had used contraception.

If only Middlesbrough hadn't spent so many years accepting shirt sponsorship from pawnbrokers and bookies.

If only I'd supported Man United like my mum...

I think the braithwaite thing is a very good point, he is obviously a talented player and if only he didn't have a heart the size of a pea i have no doubt we'd have secured a play off position by now, he's exactly the type of player we've been missing.

If only Wilson had volunteered to do more match day threads!

If only we could have scored more goals.

If only our defence had not gone to pot at times.

If only we really could get behind the team due to performance levels

If only someone with a braincell had spent the 16 million we spent on Flint, Saville and Hugill on a couple of full backs and wingers. 16 million on players in positions we didn't need to strengthen. 16 bloody million.

If only someone with a braincell had spent the 16 million we spent on Flint, Saville and Hugill on a couple of full backs and wingers. 16 million on players in positions we didn't need to strengthen. 16 bloody million.

Surely McNair at 5mil gets into this category too

I think Mcnair and Saville will prove to be decent signings tbf. Neither of them have had a long run in the team in their actual positions. Mcnair has looked good recently and Saville has had his moments. I'd like to see Saville and Wing in midfield next season with someone else holding. Mikel/Clayton or even Mcnair. Saville has decent attacking instincts and will score goals, same with Wing.

Surely McNair at 5mil gets into this category too

Hard to say. I think we needed one midfielder but I suppose we could have done with loaning Besic and saving the fees on McNair and Saville. That’s 21 million then on 4 players we didn’t really need. Terrible management.

That said I still think McNair will prove to be a decent signing if he gets more game time. Think he could be decent next season alongside Wing and one of Saville or Howson.

Its hard to judge any centre midfielder under pulis to be fair. They all end up playing the exact same style and having any forward thinking attributes coached out of them.

The point is that they were signed for positions we ddint really need, especially mikel, and those were all funds that could have been used towards starting full backs and wingers which we have desperately needed for a long time.

If only Gibson didnt say "smash the league". Less pressure from fans and maybe more time for Monk to turn it around?

We saw flashes from good with monk, but then too many bad patches. But, I think that he would have come good eventually if he settled on a system and played it for a couple of seasons.

• 2 weeks later...