oneBoro Forum

Tony Pulis Your abiding thoughts?

I think it is fair to say that for most Boro fans there is a real sense of relief that Tony Pulis has now left the club and we can all look forward to a new era of hopes and dreams for a while.

He is obviously getting better at management as he gets older because surprisingly he achieved his highest win ratio during his spell at our club of 44% in all games.

Steve Gibson has paid him a well thought out accolade whether or not you agree with his statement.

I would suspect that Mr Pulis will soon be in another position fairly soon and that our paths will cross again at some point in the future.

So just what are your abiding thoughts regarding his tenure at Boro and were there any real positives along the way in your opinion?

In hindsight I wish he had not been appointed in the first place but if he has steadied the ship behind the scenes as clearly indicated then at least thanks for that.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

The only positive was getting something out of Adama. Tbf to Pulis he made us money on a player that looked to be going nowhere 6 months before.

The rest, without going into it, were just varying levels of negatives for me and i never wanted or warmed to him.

A fraud of a man and a fraud of a manager.

Buy loads of 6 footers, defend with 10 men behind the ball, spend all week working on defensive shape and your defensive record will be good. Is that a sign of a good coach/manager?

A liar in the press who contradicted himself so often that it was laughable.

Unfortunately I was one of the people who bought into it for his first season.

A fraud of a man and a fraud of a manager.

Buy loads of 6 footers, defend with 10 men behind the ball, spend all week working on defensive shape and your defensive record will be good. Is that a sign of a good coach/manager?

A liar in the press who contradicted himself so often that it was laughable.

Unfortunately I was one of the people who bought into it for his first season.

Basically my thoughts as well, I was reasonably optimistic going into this season with him at the helm. But two thirds of the way through was just desperate for it to end...

Positives none, I would guess he has set this club back at least two seasons as that is how long it will take to either clear out or re-coach all the players into a positive state of mind on the pitch. A baffling decision at the time and when I read Gibson's farewell statement a little bit of sick came into my throat, tell the truth he was a disaster who totally underachieved both on the pitch and in the transfer market. Good riddance

Pulis talked the talk but could not walk the walk. He spoke without thought, boosted success when there was no value and I don’t like @@@@ lickers. I don’t believe we are financial better off we need to rebuild and if he has financial nouse why was he employed as a football manager and not in a financial role. Of course both parties MUST exchange politeness because both parties failed.

Pulis sums up the importance of appointing the right manager to fit a football club. His out of date brand of football looked an awkward fit from the first day we appointed him and it continued for the 18 months that we had no other choice but to tolerate it. We could have moved forward in them 18 months but instead we stood still and seemingly Gibson was happy to do this whilst the financial side of the club was cut to clear up the mess that he authorised Monk to create. We need to learn the lessons from this and appoint a manager with a modern philosophy that we're going to maintain for the long term.

And that is the key p.mards, long term. It is going to take time to clear out players, bring in new ones and build a positive philosophy at the club. Whoever the new guy is give him time to make the changes and forget about splashing money on short term fixes and stupid smash the league statements. As supporters we need to buy into the fact that maybe we won't get promoted next season but hopefully the green shoots of recovery will be showing by then

I never ever wanted him here in the 1st place, I can honestly say I've been watching Boro since I was a boy, from the days at Ayresome park and he is without a doubt one of my most disliked managers, he's right up there, I'm not talking about league position, I've watched this club through some dark times and never gave up on them, but it felt like this man was driving a wedge between me and the club I love. I detested him, a spin doctor of the highest order, who couldn't lie straight in bed.

I wish him no luck in football, because it means some other poor bloody football fan will have to watch the same absolute dross we watched.

This is a great day for this football club, as Pikerman has said GOOD RIDDANCE.

Never wanted him so that probably clouds my judgement on his numerous self-professed “achievements”.

As Duvels said the man is a liar and a conman. How someone who is found guilty of deliberately defrauding a club out of £3m can keep getting jobs is a joke.

I used to enjoy matchdays; the prematch anticipation/beers, the excitement of the game, the postmatch analysis over more beers.

Over the past 18months that experience has been replaced by apathy and boredom, and I hold Tony Pulis accountable for that, rightly or wrongly, as I think the hierarchy have a lot to answer for in terms decision making.

He may have managed to get a tune out of traore but I’m sure there are other coaches out there that could have achieved that without being a piece of sh!t.

I would say that today is a happy day but unfortunately Tony Pulis is one skid mark that will take a while to wash off.

Good riddance.

I don’t think he was half as bad as many made out. He wasn’t popular from the start and was always on a hiding to nothing. Five wins out of the last six wasn’t enough to make the playoffs and I think that should have been the minimum requirement so the decision to move him on was the correct one. I think the minimum requirement of the new manager should also be the playoffs no matter who is appointed to the position.

It should have worked, we had the best defence in the division, Monk added attackers and all Pulis had to do was get goals from his usual set pieces but it didn't happen. 2 of the most prolific CBs managed to avoid scoring meaning TP had to rely on goalscorers for goals and they missed hat fulls much to everyones annoyance. Unable to actually coach football we ended with TP missing out on embarrassing play-off defeats.u

Our usual 50+ points at home would have meant automatic promotion.

I don’t think he was half as bad as many made out. He wasn’t popular from the start and was always on a hiding to nothing. Five wins out of the last six wasn’t enough to make the playoffs and I think that should have been the minimum requirement so the decision to move him on was the correct one. I think the minimum requirement of the new manager should also be the playoffs no matter who is appointed to the position.

I'm still not convinced you aren't actually Tony Pulis.

His football was terrible, the home form was ***ing diabolical, and he lied repeatedly. He was just as bad as many made out.