oneBoro Forum

New Members Come and Say Hi!

On 1/30/2020 at 8:20 PM, oneboro said:

Welcome along to our new members 👋 

Hi lads & lassies,living in Cork on the banks of the Lee(thus the Username).Boro fan since the mid seventies.Yes im an oldish codger! Brilliant and not so brilliant days following the boro including attending the ZDS final,Fa Cup & League Cup finals in 97.Been meaning to sign up for ages but got there eventually.

IMG-20191130-WA0000.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi everyone. Norwegian Boro supporter since 1995 checking in 👋  Been reading this forum for quite a while, but decided to register, having some questions about my upcoming Teesside trip in 3 week

Back from the depths of the bad mental health cave, you might have forgotten who I am. 😂

Hi. Joined a few  of days ago to offer my respects for Spike, and thought I might stick around. I come in peace, honestly, and won't be posting rival *** to *** everyone off, just interested

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Leesider said:

Hi lads & lassies,living in Cork on the banks of the Lee(thus the Username).Boro fan since the mid seventies.Yes im an oldish codger! Brilliant and not so brilliant days following the boro including attending the ZDS final,Fa Cup & League Cup finals in 97.Been meaning to sign up for ages but got there eventually.

IMG-20191130-WA0000.jpg

good man, welcome aboard. In Cork myself these days (though not born and bred here)

Welcome Leesider good to see another member from the Emerald Isles.

Sure the other guys will say hello to you and maybe you can meet up with them for various games or indeed travel to Boro for specific games as Blanco does.

Not the best of times as you say but a bit of Irish humour goes a long way:classic_smile:

Thanks for that guys, Yeah would love to meet up with a few Boro fans in Cork, They are fairly scarce on the ground...., I only got to 1 game this season, the away fixture at St Andrews. My mate is a Brummie so we get there every year (opposite ends of the ground of course),Trilled to meet Adama, Big Dani & Shotts there the season before last at the Hotel,I was so nervous,like a teenage girl meeting Westlife!

My best ever trip though was to Ayresome Park,I Stayed at The Mayo Hotel  (Stockton) where the young  Irish lads were being  looked after ,Alan Moore ,Graham Kavanagh,  Chris Morris & Curtis Fleming were all playing at the time. Through the Lady running the Hotel I got to meet Robbo,  Viv Anderson, Gordon Mc Queen and all the players,(Talk about name dropping!) Seems like 100 years ago.

Worst day was a 2 nil defeat @Ipswich maybe 4 years ago now, Truly awful.

16 minutes ago, Leesider said:

Thanks for that guys, Yeah would love to meet up with a few Boro fans in Cork, They are fairly scarce on the ground...., I only got to 1 game this season, the away fixture at St Andrews. My mate is a Brummie so we get there every year (opposite ends of the ground of course),Trilled to meet Adama, Big Dani & Shotts there the season before last at the Hotel,I was so nervous,like a teenage girl meeting Westlife!

My best ever trip though was to Ayresome Park,I Stayed at The Mayo Hotel  (Stockton) where the young  Irish lads were being  looked after ,Alan Moore ,Graham Kavanagh,  Chris Morris & Curtis Fleming were all playing at the time. Through the Lady running the Hotel I got to meet Robbo,  Viv Anderson, Gordon Mc Queen and all the players,(Talk about name dropping!) Seems like 100 years ago.

Worst day was a 2 nil defeat @Ipswich maybe 4 years ago now, Truly awful.

I get down to Cork for work every so often @Leesider. I’ll send you a dm the next time I’m due down and maybe @boroie could meet up for a beer and a good Boro chat among us Irish Boro fans.

1 hour ago, Blanco said:

I get down to Cork for work every so often @Leesider. I’ll send you a dm the next time I’m due down and maybe @boroie could meet up for a beer and a good Boro chat among us Irish Boro fans.

Absolutely, just maybe not in the next few weeks 😄

• Haha 1

Brilliant , Sounds like  a plan. Do you guys mostly go to away games or go to the Boro ? Its a bit of a "Trains, Planes & Automobiles" trek from Cork . Might be a bit easier now with the Direct flights from Dublin I guess.

I usually fly to Newcastle and get the train down to the Boro. I pick up an odd away game as well and usually let the flight cost decide which one I go to. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Horrified at that team selection & result,If we do meet up for a few bevvies in Cork over the next few months,we might be planning away trips to Gillinham or Lincoln! The next 2 games v Stoke & Hull seem massive now,UTB 

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.

Thanks for accepting my registration and I hope everyone is relaxing in the glow of another year in the Championship.

Some here might know me from FMTTM and will know that I'm of the "it was much better in the 1970s" of Boro supporters. My first game was the first home match of 1971/72 (Boro 3 QPR 2 as you ask) so I'm frighteningly close to clocking up 50 years of pain and suffering.

I look forward to getting to know people here and apologise in advance to Erimus74 if I ever step on his toes with my memories.

Speaking of which:

49 years ago today - Hibernian 0 Boro 2 in a preseason friendly.

Boro were second best for much of this match and Maddren cleared an early chance off the line. Nobby Stiles then picked up an injury while tackling Bertie Auld, but hoped to be fit for the return friendly the following Saturday, when Hibs would visit Ayresome Park. Hamilton headed just wide for Hibs on half time but Boro came more into it after the interval.

Hickton had a golden chance to put Boro ahead when Stanton played a back pass straight to him but Pryce tipped his shot over.

Hibs tired in the later stages and the breakthrough for Boro came on 86 minutes. Boam played a superb through pass which Laidlaw took in his stride and chipped over the keeper. A couple of minutes later Boro sealed the win when substitute McMordie sent Hickton away down the right and Big John cut inside to fire home.

Hibs - Bryce, Brownlie, Shevlane, Blackley, Stanton, O'Rourke, Stevenson, Hamilton, Baker, Auld, Duncan.

Boro - Whigham, Jones, Spraggon, Stiles, Boam. Maddren, Downing, Mills (McMordie), Hickton, Vincent, Laidlaw.

Att  9000

Top of the charts - Get it On by T Rex.

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, McMordie said:

Hi everyone.

Thanks for accepting my registration and I hope everyone is relaxing in the glow of another year in the Championship.

Some here might know me from FMTTM and will know that I'm of the "it was much better in the 1970s" of Boro supporters. My first game was the first home match of 1971/72 (Boro 3 QPR 2 as you ask) so I'm frighteningly close to clocking up 50 years of pain and suffering.

I look forward to getting to know people here and apologise in advance to Erimus74 if I ever step on his toes with my memories.

Speaking of which:

49 years ago today - Hibernian 0 Boro 2 in a preseason friendly.

Boro were second best for much of this match and Maddren cleared an early chance off the line. Nobby Stiles then picked up an injury while tackling Bertie Auld, but hoped to be fit for the return friendly the following Saturday, when Hibs would visit Ayresome Park. Hamilton headed just wide for Hibs on half time but Boro came more into it after the interval.

Hickton had a golden chance to put Boro ahead when Stanton played a back pass straight to him but Pryce tipped his shot over.

Hibs tired in the later stages and the breakthrough for Boro came on 86 minutes. Boam played a superb through pass which Laidlaw took in his stride and chipped over the keeper. A couple of minutes later Boro sealed the win when substitute McMordie sent Hickton away down the right and Big John cut inside to fire home.

Hibs - Bryce, Brownlie, Shevlane, Blackley, Stanton, O'Rourke, Stevenson, Hamilton, Baker, Auld, Duncan.

Boro - Whigham, Jones, Spraggon, Stiles, Boam. Maddren, Downing, Mills (McMordie), Hickton, Vincent, Laidlaw.

Att  9000

Top of the charts - Get it On by T Rex.

Welcome to the forum. Always good to read about the history of Boro from years gone by. As you said Erimus has shared some great stuff on here in the past from historical days in Boros history. Theres some great names in that Boro team. What was Stiles like as a Boro player?

Hi S the I.

I was too young to judge Stiles really and had no idea we had a world cup winner in our ranks! I think he was probably past his best by the time we signed him in the Summer of 1971 and he only stayed a year or so. The former great that really made a difference was Murdoch a couple of years later.

• boro-unger changed the title to New Members Come and Say Hi!