Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First ever post I’m going Luton Town at home, sky game on the Friday night 

A win or a draw and we’ll be in the promotion spots, lose and we’ll be bottom of the table and those Woodgate critics will be having a field day. ?

Fixture gods for one have been kind, home for 13/23 games, can’t wait

Posted Images

Surprises me. I thought the championship would follow the premier league like they did with the international breaks

There is a lot of internationals in the Championship.

18 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Surprises me. I thought the championship would follow the premier league like they did with the international breaks

There is a lot of internationals in the Championship.

Yeah, but there are also 8 more games to play plus the playoffs. Personally I think it would have been good to have just two weeks off and then have a few extra mid week games. 

5 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Yeah, but there are also 8 more games to play plus the playoffs. Personally I think it would have been good to have just two weeks off and then have a few extra mid week games. 

True enough, sometimes I forget we have so many more games haha.

Winter football breakes in the UK are ridiculous. The winter is so much milder than other European countries. What a load of nonsense...brought around by all the continental managers in the EPL and less than manly footballers.

9 minutes ago, Geoff Sudron said:

Winter football breakes in the UK are ridiculous. The winter is so much milder than other European countries. What a load of nonsense...brought around by all the continental managers in the EPL and less than manly footballers.

It is because they think the winter schedule is what tires our players out for summer tournaments.

36 minutes ago, Geoff Sudron said:

Milder than Spain and Italy?

44 minutes ago, Brunners said:

It is because they think the winter schedule is what tires our players out for summer tournaments.

Which would make more sense if the Premier League wasn't full of players from other countries who manage just fine when it comes to tournaments.  I think we've struggled in tournaments (when we have struggled in them) because we didn't have good well balanced teams rather than because the players didn't have a few weeks off in January.  In 96 we made the semi finals and went out on penalties, in 98 we got through to the 1st knockout round and lost to Argentina on penalties after having a man sent off.  In 2000 we just weren't very good.  In 2002 we lost to Brazil in the QF's and I honestly believe they were the only team genuinely better than us at that tournament.  2004 we lost to Portugal, the host nation, in the QF's again on penalties after losing both strikers to injury I seem to remember.  In 2006 we lost Portugal again in the QF's after having a man sent off.  2008 we didn't qualify, which was rubbish.  2010 we were bad and lost to Germany after a fairly uninspiring group stage.  2012 was another QF loss on penalties after topping our group.  2014 wasn't good it's fair to say that and the same can be said for 2016.  Last year we made the semi finals of the world cup.  I don't believe Croatia beat us because of a lack of winter break for us, I think it's cos we missed a couple of really good chances to put ourselves 2-0 up and that would have been enough in my opinion.

I don't think there's any harm in it, other than missing some football, but I'm not sure it will have as big of an effect on England's chances as the fact that some good young players have been coming through at various clubs.  I wonder how many of our clubs on a break will end up flying somewhere to play in a lucrative friendly or two though? ?

• Like 1

depending on what the break is actually for,  whether its to combat the bad weather/loss of games due to that....in which case  the clubs that usually suffer the most are the lower leagues ,i suppose due to not having the finances to  install underground heating and the external extra community costs .....or simply to allow players a break ...in which case its  gearing itself towards only really  concentrating on the elite teams/players if its only for the premier league    if it is the first reason i would be better surely to have contingency plans for a break in place  but not actually state exactly which dates  as  the bad weather could hit at any time between early december and late february , then activate it when required.   would defeat the object if we had a winter break say xmas/new year weeks  then came back for one or two weeks before having to actually have an enforced break because of adverse conditions in mid/late january. 

i take it therefore that its puerly to give the elite players /teams a nice rest.

19 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I’m pretty sure that part of the agreement on the Winter break forbids the teams from playing any friendlies during it.

That would have some sense.  I know that on the continent they play games during their winter breaks and it would take something for Premier League clubs to pass up the chance of making a few extra quid ?

• Like 1