oneBoro Forum

Boro v Luton Town (A) 3-3 (Fletcher, Assombalonga, Wing)

SO - HERE WE GO AGAIN! 

Boro v
Luton Town @ Kenilworth Road - Friday August 2nd at 7.45 PM (weird English time)

You all expected a song, didn't ya? ? Sorry to disappoint you, but this will be a classic oldschool MDT. 

It's the first game of the season 19/20 and we are away to an impressive promoted team, who might be a surprise "good" team this season. 

Last game for Boro was a 1-1 draw at The Riverside in a friendly game vs ASSE (St. Etienne), while Luton lost at home 1-5 to Norwich

Hopefully we can teach these newcomers, what The Championship is all about and collect the 3 points!

Boro's likely starters:
GK: Randolph
LB: Coulson
RB: Howson
CB: Ayala
CB: Shotton
DM: Clayton
CM: Wing
CM: Saville
LF: Browne
ST: Assombalonga
RF: Johnson

ODDS: Home win 2.85, Draw 3.45, Away win 2.60 (Decimal odds for the win) so it's viewed by bookies to be a hard to predict, even game!

View from the other sidehttp://lutonexcelsior.com/ (If you search for Boro, a thread where they discuss Coulson as a new star, followed by a lot of immature name calling, will appear)

Key talking points:
- Will we see any outgoing or incoming transfers before Friday?
- How do YOU think we will line up?
- Is Shotton a scape goat?
- Will any new signings play for the Boro?
- Can and will we win?
- Who has impressed the most in pre-season?
- Was it a penalty (
watch the highlights here) https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/highlights-boro-1-saint-etienne-1?fbclid=IwAR3u-DcJqtmSZKrnQunhgffJgvjg_sTVIQrZbp61tw0mYwNRBBjCXLwP7Bc#t=0:03

• Like 3
  • Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Settle down children and I'll begin...   Twas the night before Luton, when all through the house, Not a creature was stirring, not even a Mejias. A blank kit was packed by the kit

Would you prefer to go back to 11 men behind the ball at all times?   Honestly, I don’t get some fans on here. Complain game after game last season about the negativity. Play open, positive,

One for the season. If we are struggling to score and a camera shot of Robbie Keane "They could do with someone like him in their team now"  

Posted Images

Wohoo match thread! I think you're probably right about the line up @SmogDane although I'd far rather see someone in for Saville. Bit worried we won't quite have the quality at either end of the pitch to win this one missing Fry and with us having to play Johnson. 

But ***, new season, exciting football, 5-0 Boro. 

• Like 1

Anybody else think we will play with a 4-2-3-1? 

Randolph 

Dijksteel/howson- Ayala-McNair-Bola/coulson

Wing- Clayton

Johnson/fletcher/????- Tav-Browne

Britt

I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts on Coulson. Although I agree he was one of our best players yesterday I'm really not convinced he's a left back at all to be honest. His positioning was all over the place, Clayton was regularly having to cover at LB and was constantly calling Coulson to get back in position.

3 minutes ago, Will said:

I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts on Coulson. Although I agree he was one of our best players yesterday I'm really not convinced he's a left back at all to be honest. His positioning was all over the place, Clayton was regularly having to cover at LB and was constantly calling Coulson to get back in position.

I noticed that too and second half Coulson was a left midfielder... So maybe we will see Bola start?

Could Coulson work as a wingback? Would that system suit us? (when our CB situation is sorted out)

10 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

I noticed that too and second half Coulson was a left midfielder... So maybe we will see Bola start?

Could Coulson work as a wingback? Would that system suit us? (when our CB situation is sorted out)

I think Coulson would be more suited to a wingback role, however I don't think the rest of our squad is really suited to a system with wingbacks. I think we will either see Friend or Bola start at LB. Hopefully Coulson gets a chance at LW.

38 minutes ago, Will said:

I think that's just kind of how our full backs will play this year mate. Bola was pretty similar and howson was getting up and about on the right hand side. 

Coulson stands out for me because of how effective he was getting the ball in bizarre positions (edge of the d for example)

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

I think that's just kind of how our full backs will play this year mate. Bola was pretty similar and howson was getting up and about on the right hand side. 

Coulson stands out for me because of how effective he was getting the ball in bizarre positions (edge of the d for example)

I thought both Howson and Bola were far more disciplined than Coulson personally. I'd be worried if our plan is to regularly leave ourself that exposed at the back tbh

End of the day footie is a game of risk/reward. We can ask our full backs to tuck in and keep tight like we did last year, or we can give them license to attack and have the potential to leave us exposed. Much prefer the riskier option.

• Like 3

If Woody's feeling brave here's the lineup I expect him to go for..

Randy

Howson, Shotton, Ayala, Coulson

Tav, Clayton, Wing

Johnson, Britt, Browne

-

Luton are going to be well up for it and come flying at us, so I hope we're able to stand up to it.