oneBoro Forum

Boro v Luton Town (A) 3-3 (Fletcher, Assombalonga, Wing)

21 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Would you prefer to go back to 11 men behind the ball at all times?

Honestly, I don’t get some fans on here. Complain game after game last season about the negativity. Play open, positive, attacking football tonight and all I’m seeing is “far too open”, “full backs too high up the pitch”, etc etc.

Defensively we were naive, 100%, but we are playing with a right back as a centre back, a central midfielder at right back, and arguably a winger at left back. Get Fry, Bola and Dijksteel in that back line and we will look much more secure. 

At at the end of the day, if Britt concentrates more on the ball and less on imitating Paul Pogba, we win away from home on the opening day, having scored 4 goals. 

As it is, it’s massively frustrating but I’d take that any day over the crap we had to put up with last season. 

And did I see someone slating Clayton? Seriously? 

Nope I wouldn't, just because we scored 3 goals doesn't mean it was a great result. Attacking wise, it was great to see, but the best teams know how to manage games, and felt after the 3rd goal we should've slowed the game down and seen it out. I want us to get out of the league, but conceding some of the goals we did tonight will make it a hard job. Woodgate said he loved seeing goals tonight, he'll soon get sick of them if we're conceding 3 every game. Like you say, if Britt scores the pen we're probably talking about a win. Still wouldn't disguise how easy it was for Luton to get at us.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Settle down children and I'll begin...   Twas the night before Luton, when all through the house, Not a creature was stirring, not even a Mejias. A blank kit was packed by the kit

Would you prefer to go back to 11 men behind the ball at all times?   Honestly, I don’t get some fans on here. Complain game after game last season about the negativity. Play open, positive,

One for the season. If we are struggling to score and a camera shot of Robbie Keane "They could do with someone like him in their team now"  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

Thought all Coulson's issues came from Luton leaving  a man high, he continued to press forwards as he had no doubt been told but your man is the first responsibility of a defender

But overall a promising debut.

1 minute ago, BoroJoey said:

Nope I wouldn't, just because we scored 3 goals doesn't mean it was a great result. Attacking wise, it was great to see, but the best teams know how to manage games, and felt after the 3rd goal we should've slowed the game down and seen it out. I want us to get out of the league, but conceding some of the goals we did tonight will make it a hard job. Woodgate said he loved seeing goals tonight, he'll soon get sick of them if we're conceding 3 every game. Like you say, if Britt scores the pen we're probably talking about a win. Still wouldn't disguise how easy it was for Luton to get at us.

We won't concede three every game - even tonight two of them were directly due to bad defending by individual players, not anything majorly tactically wrong.

There's a TON of stuff to work on, don't get me wrong, but I don't think this performances indicates we're gonna concede 3 every game.

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

--------------------------Randolph

Dijksteel------Ayala----Fry-----Bola

-------Wing------------Howson---------McNair

New RW-----------Assombalonga----------Browne

We can certainly challenge for play offs imo

I know Clayton has his fans, and he has been a good player for us, but I honestly don't see him not playing Howson in the midfield if we get Dijksteel in. Wing is the undroppable in midfield IMO. Maybe Howson would replace Mcnair further forward but again I just can't see it. 

Be interesting to see how we line up next week as Coulson, Fletcher and Johnson all contributed to the performance tonight. All 3 should have had assists could Britt convert his chances, Johnson has his critics and doubters but he was one of our best players. Then Browne came on and also looked sharp, be harsh to drop Fletch or Johnson IMO. 

I think Bola will have to wait until Crewe to get a start. 

what a lovely change to enjoy watching Boro again,, ok you could nit-pick but Pulis had me and thousands falling out of love with our football . tonight ,even with teething problems , we went a long way to redressing that.

the problems we encountered tonight were due to unfinished activity adressing defensive personnel and naiveity  in establishing the pressing game ,both those issues can and will be overcome.

i cant agree with those criticising Clayton , i thought he had a quite good game , Coulson was left a bit  overworked looking after McManaman  in the first half but did far better in tne second half when he got forward a lot more , Howson  did ok considering hes not a full back  , McNair got  into the game the more it went on  and  i liked what i saw of Browne. 

top 3 performers for me were  Ayala, Johnson and wing  ,lowest ratings would be Fletcher, Assombalonga and Shotton..but all in all happy with what i saw  . 

• Like 3
Just now, Adam P said:

I know Clayton has his fans, and he has been a good player for us, but I honestly don't see him not playing Howson in the midfield if we get Dijksteel in. Wing is the undroppable in midfield IMO. Maybe Howson would replace Mcnair further forward but again I just can't see it

Be interesting to see how we line up next week as Coulson, Fletcher and Johnson all contributed to the performance tonight. All 3 should have had assists could Britt convert his chances, Johnson has his critics and doubters but he was one of our best players. Then Browne came on and also looked sharp, be harsh to drop Fletch or Johnson IMO. 

If you drop Clayton I'm almost certain you'd quickly find out why he's in there, he lets everyone else play their games.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

*** hell, you just can't win with some people can you?

Defensively we were awful? You happy with that for the rest of the season? 

I said before a ball was kicked I don’t want to be a team that scores loads and concedes loads. We won’t get promoted doing that. 

I’m sure we will find a balance. I was only saying how the sacrifice for scoring goals doesn’t have to be conceding 3. you have misinterpreted what I was saying. I liked the performance tonight.

Edited by BoroSmoggie
  • Like 1
51 minutes ago, Foogle said:

Isn't this what always happens people say they'd prefer to draw 4-4 than fluke a boring 1-0 and then when it gets to it we start complaining about conceding sloppy goals. 

Yeah, because there’s no in-between? 

Points  can definitely be made after tonight but don’t jump to conclusions.

we were a Friday night opening away at an unknown side who got promoted very well last year. Small ground - unbeaten in a year at home.

we have new manager, new style, not a full squad yet.

lets wait a few games before complaining too much!

Does he though Brunners ? I know you're a big fan of Clayton and I have been also, as a defensive player in a defensive unit, I fully understand his inclusion as he's very good at shielding and mopping up out of possesion.

In a team thats going to try and pass the ball and move players around the pitch, I'm not sure he's suited to it. I could be wrong but we'll see. I'm pretty certain Howson can do the job Clayton is asked to do in this particular formation, and he has more strings to his bow IMO bud. 

4 minutes ago, Adam P said:

I know Clayton has his fans, and he has been a good player for us, but I honestly don't see him not playing Howson in the midfield if we get Dijksteel in. Wing is the undroppable in midfield IMO. Maybe Howson would replace Mcnair further forward but again I just can't see it. 

I think Clayton has to play as he is the only midfielder we currently have that knows how to read the game defensively. A lot of Clayton's good work goes unseen. He reads the game and covers for players out of position which will be more essential than ever this season, if our full backs are going to bomb forward.  

• Like 2
Just now, BoroSmoggie said:

Exactly, I'm not saying I don't want to see attacking football, I just want us to show abit of game management when we do get ahead

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Adam P said:

Does he though Brunners ? I know you're a big fan of Clayton and I have been also, as a defensive player in a defensive unit, I fully understand his inclusion as he's very good at shielding and mopping up out of possesion.

In a team thats going to try and pass the ball and move players around the pitch, I'm not sure he's suited to it. I could be wrong but we'll see. I'm pretty certain Howson can do the job Clayton is asked to do in this particular formation, and he has more strings to his bow IMO bud. 

The dude breaks up so much play it's unreal, he also actually has a great pass on him. If you watched tonights game you'll have seen him spray some absolute beauties out wide. 

Howson could not do the job Clayton is asked to do in this formation because Howson is not a defensive midfielder, Howson is a b2b player.

• Like 3

Clayton is a hugely important player.

He divides opinion but he is so underrated. He gives others freedom and he breaks up plays, presses well and distributes accurately more than most

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

But how do we know this is the norm it was only one game?

What I'm saying is that the end of the day people just want results and any time we're not getting them the way we're playing is always the thing blamed, it's tough to get the balance right, especially at the start of a completely new regime.