oneBoro Forum

Boro v Luton Town (A) 3-3 (Fletcher, Assombalonga, Wing)

18 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Liverpool when I have watched them actually concede a very low amount of fouls (There are probably stats to say otherwise). Probably because they know the system a lot better than we currently know our system and have better quality players to implement their system compared to us. We are in a stage of tweaking and fine tuning our systems so there will be teeth problems (high amount of fouls).

After looking at some stats. For the 18/19 season (Premier League stats) Liverpool conceded 185 fouls. Which works out at just under 5 fouls per game. In today's game alone we conceded 20 fouls.

Edit: Found another set of stats which puts Liverpool's fouls conceded per game at just over 8 fouls per game. 

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Settle down children and I'll begin...   Twas the night before Luton, when all through the house, Not a creature was stirring, not even a Mejias. A blank kit was packed by the kit

Would you prefer to go back to 11 men behind the ball at all times?   Honestly, I don’t get some fans on here. Complain game after game last season about the negativity. Play open, positive,

One for the season. If we are struggling to score and a camera shot of Robbie Keane "They could do with someone like him in their team now"  

Posted Images

Ah should’ve won comfortably.. looking back at the chances.. hit the bar, Ayalas header, Britt 2 golden opportunities.. and more. 

Great game though, riveting throughout.

Maupay vs Shotton next Saturday, it might be carnage.

7 hours ago, Changing Times said:

This is exactly it.  After the first press it was just chaos with people ending up everywhere.  At one point Ayala ended up inside their half, was too late, and they were running at us with four attackers and our only decent defender miles out of position.  They need to know when to commit to the press and when to back off, it can't just be everyone going for it whenever the ball comes near them.

Barcelona under Pep would press the ball to try and win it back quickly, if they didn't win the ball back everyone would drop back and sit behind the ball. 

Like you say there has to be a plan for what happens after the first phase, maybe Woodgate has a plan but the players aren't getting it right just yet. 

The tactics will probably work better at home over the season but I think good teams will pick us apart on the break. 

6 hours ago, Borodane said:

I liked the game. Couldn’t give 100% view but as I suspected I didn’t like Clayton’s role. Thought he was the weak piece. I’d really like him to be replaced by someone who can actually pass the ball tona teammate. I know Brunners won’t like it but Clayton was bad in my eyes. 

I don't think he was bad as such. His lack of mobility got exposed quite often for me though. I'm not sure if this style is the best fit for clayton. 

6 hours ago, Borodane said:

I liked the game. Couldn’t give 100% view but as I suspected I didn’t like Clayton’s role. Thought he was the weak piece. I’d really like him to be replaced by someone who can actually pass the ball tona teammate. I know Brunners won’t like it but Clayton was bad in my eyes. 

Would have to agree with you Clayton had a miserable night totally no meaning for him to be playing in a Boro shirt these days. He lacks leadership and no bugger listens to him out there. I watched his arm movements last night and players were doing the opposite to what he was yelling at them.

He also gives away unnecessary fowls just outside of the box. 

To top it all off Woodgate substitutions were typical of the Boro.

Taking off 2 players that were causing problems and creating goals and opportunities and leaving Clayton and Britass on the field of play to help the opposition.

Lets hope as the season progress's Keane gets more say in who comes off and who stays on.

A good opener, and happy with the result after getting over the disappointment of the missed pen, and throwing away the lead. I think a draw was a fair result, especially when you consider that they could have had a penalty when Wing brought down one of their players.

As many have mentioned, the press needs a little bit of work defensively, but that should only improve. We should hopefully improve defensively with the introduction of Bola and maybe Dijksteel, although Coulson and Howson did OK last night. 

Really refreshing to see Woodgate coming out and backing Britt after the miss. He's very much a confidence striker, and Woody and Keane will know this, so backing him publicly is great and very far removed from Pulis' tactic of throwing him under the bus every time he breathed wrong.

Randolph - 6. Made a good save at the end to keep us in it, but looked a bit rusty, unsurprising after injury and should only improve.

Howson - 6. Solid enough, linked up play well and doing well considering not his position.

Ayala - 7. Played well and mitigated for his partner's mistakes

Shotton - 4. Poor performance, hoping Fry comes back soon.

Coulson - 6. Really good going forward, but a little naive defensively. I'll let him off as it was his debut.

Clayton - 6. Will always divide opinion. There's those that think he's awful and those that say he plays amazing everytime even know he doesn't. Truth is he's somewhere in the middle, did alright.

McNair - 8. Thought he played really well, pressed well, won the ball, looks athletic. In for a big season.

Wing - 8. Loved it, our creative spark and what a goal.

Fletcher - 6. Good on him for getting his goal, but a little quiet after that.

Johnson - 8. Best performance in a Boro shirt, looked dangerous, whipped some great balls in.

Britt - 6. Awful penalty, but got himself around apart from that. Ran his legs off and hopefully dispels the myth that he's lazy.

All in all and enjoyable game, we never win our first game and it was going to be tough away at a newly promoted team with a great home record. Don't get people moaning, especially when the same people were probably moaning about Boro's boring tactics under Pulis.

We probably won't get promoted, and it's going to take time for Woody to implement his system. So lets give him time, and try and enjoy the ride.

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 1

The high press is clearly still a work in progress, it's going to take time for them all to be able to do it effectively as a team. There are lots of old, well drilled, habits for the majority of them to break.

McNair and Wing were probably the most effective proponents of that. 

When it's not effective it can leave gaps at the back especially in wide areas and that made us look weak defensively.

Let's remember though, Howson is not a full back - he will be back in midfield soon, I'd put him in instead of Clayton and leave the others as are. It was also Coulsons first start and he got caught a few times, but Luton had McManaman out there and he is a highly experienced player, who has the ability to trouble any fullback in this league on his day. 

Going forward at times we looked bright, Johnson looked decent in spells, Fletcher took his header well and on another day we could have had 5 (but also concerned as many).

Refreshing change from the durge that was served up last season though.

Their are shoots of a promising team - new right back, Fry back (Shotton was poor) and another wide forward player and were not far off a side with potential for the playoffs

1 minute ago, Sarumite said:

The high press is clearly still a work in progress, it's going to take time for them all to be able to do it effectively as a team. There are lots of old, well drilled, habits for the majority of them to break.

McNair and Wing were probably the most effective proponents of that. 

When it's not effective it can leave gaps at the back especially in wide areas and that made us look weak defensively.

Let's remember though, Howson is not a full back - he will be back in midfield soon, I'd put him in instead of Clayton and leave the others as are. It was also Coulsons first start and he got caught a few times, but Luton had McManaman out there and he is a highly experienced player, who has the ability to trouble any fullback in this league on his day. 

Going forward at times we looked bright, Johnson looked decent in spells, Fletcher took his header well and on another day we could have had 5 (but also concerned as many).

Refreshing change from the durge that was served up last season though.

Their are shoots of a promising team - new right back, fry back and another wide forward player and were not far off a side with potential for the playoffs

Agree with all of this.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, BoroJake said:

Part of the reason why coulson was so exposed is that Shotton seems to go walkies every few minutes, poor coulson had to mark 2 players

Looks like shottons the new boo boy. 

Fletcher should of been helping coulson out and there 3rd goal was caused by the terrible header from wing.

I’m not saying shotton had a good game but our defensive frailties weren’t just down to him.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, ABH said:

Fletcher should of been helping coulson out and there 3rd goal was caused by the terrible header from wing.

I’m not saying shotton had a good game but our defensive frailties weren’t just down to him.

Sorry but no. He was terrible at pretty much everything he did last night. Easily the worst player on the pitch.

• Like 2

I think quite a few are getting carried away drawing in a high scoring game against a team just promoted. This is likely because what we witnessed in the past was dull and depressing but my point being one it’s not sustainable and two there are many better teams in this devision that will punish us and run up a cricket score. Exciting  for a Cup game but it won’t provide the platform for sustainability in the long term. The thing is I like it and it feels good and I’m not that bothered about promotion so if we ended up in the top 25% I would welcome the approach. 

3 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Sorry but no. He was terrible at pretty much everything he did last night. Easily the worst player on the pitch.

I didn’t say he wasn’t poor. Just seems to be everybody’s scapegoat.

• Like 1

What a refreshing game last night was. Sure we could have won it and had numerous chances to do so but I’d take that every week rather than 4-5-1 with saville hugill and Howson making up our forward line!

i thought it was a tricky night for our full backs, Luton showed how they exploited flanks well last season. They switch them all quickly and often get overloads on each side. 

The high press seemed to work well at times and I’m sure after the lads get used to it, less fouls will be given away and it will look more comfortable to everyone. Paddy and Wing seemed to grasp it pretty well and I think when browne comes in wide he will suit the counterpress too. 

What a performance from Marvin Johnson also! The best I’ve seen him play for us although it does grate me that his right leg is for standing only. Though Dani Ayala had a great game considering Shotton was woeful, in need of a new CB and fry returning ASAP!

Clayts really does divide opinion but I don’t think we have another cdm with the instinctive defensive nouse that he does. In this system our full backs will get caught out and teams may break against us and we need someone who will cover and break things up still. His range of passing isn’t great but I’m not sure we have a midfielder who can do that role effectively.

A RB, winger and loan CB and I think we might have a play off team! 

31 minutes ago, ABH said:

The terrible header was a result of Shotton not coming to win a ball and communicating that with Wing. Wing had to back peddle whereas Shotton could have taken a few steps forward and headed away easily.

He wasn't atrocious, but was out of position regularly and his passing out from the back was bad too! 

He seems to react rather than read the game.