oneBoro Forum

Boro v Luton Town (A) 3-3 (Fletcher, Assombalonga, Wing)

Really enjoyed the match last night, it was a great Advert for football, and what I’m sure will we a exciting season. I was impressed with Johnson. I was shocked like many others  when he was named on the team sheet. He looks like a confidence player, like many players pulis zapped it out of him then shipped him out on loan. I have to agree with the shotton comments does anyone know when Fry is due back? My main concern though  is Claytons role, now with the other midfields pushing further forward that leaves Clayton With more space to cover, he just doesn’t have the pace to be able to cover it. I think teams will target him. What we missed last night was a grant leadbitter in this prime to grab hold of the game at 3-2 and just add some Calm. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Settle down children and I'll begin...   Twas the night before Luton, when all through the house, Not a creature was stirring, not even a Mejias. A blank kit was packed by the kit

Would you prefer to go back to 11 men behind the ball at all times?   Honestly, I don’t get some fans on here. Complain game after game last season about the negativity. Play open, positive,

One for the season. If we are struggling to score and a camera shot of Robbie Keane "They could do with someone like him in their team now"  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Barcelona under Pep would press the ball to try and win it back quickly, if they didn't win the ball back everyone would drop back and sit behind the ball. 

Like you say there has to be a plan for what happens after the first phase, maybe Woodgate has a plan but the players aren't getting it right just yet. 

The tactics will probably work better at home over the season but I think good teams will pick us apart on the break. 

If we’re making a Barcelona comparison what I would say that when they win the ball back they don’t just try and get it up the pitch as quickly as possible every time. They’ll keep possession allowing them to recover the energy used in the high press. That’s something we would have benefited from trying to do last night, particularly after going 1-0 we just kept giving the ball away trying to force the play.

I think we’ll need to learn that anyway as the players will be knackered by Xmas.

25 minutes ago, Sarumite said:

The terrible header was a result of Shotton not coming to win a ball and communicating that with Wing. Wing had to back peddle whereas Shotton could have taken a few steps forward and headed away easily.

He wasn't atrocious, but was out of position regularly and his passing out from the back was bad too! 

He seems to react rather than read the game.

Now he should of been covering midfield and LB as well as playing CB. Next you will be blaming him for putting assombalonga off ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, ABH said:

Now he should of been covering midfield and LB as well as playing CB. Next you will be blaming him for putting assombalonga off ?

Well that's absolute rubbish, watch it back. Wing was back peddling into the gap between midfield and defence, the defender should always be stepping out to win that header.

Just now, Sarumite said:

Well that's absolute rubbish, watch it back. Wing was back peddling into the gap between midfield and defence, the defender should always be stepping out to win that header.

Yeah shotton should of called for then ran past the other 2 boro players next to wing and cleared the ball

Thoroughly enjoyed the game last night, could clearly see a different style of play to last season and I'm really looking forward to the next game.

A work in progress, but a promising one. Brentford will be a tougher test.

Shotton was poor, Johnson was surprisingly good, Coulson was offensively decent.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I'm sorry but anyone that thinks clayton had a bad game is bananas.

Agreed. The amount of times he won the ball high up was excellent. He must have started off 3/4 attacks just by winning the ball back. 

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, ABH said:

Yeah shotton should of called for then ran past the other 2 boro players next to wing and cleared the ball

You mean to be where we he should have been.. level with Coulson and in prime position to head the ball

33 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I'm sorry but anyone that thinks clayton had a bad game is bananas.

You are the ultimate Clayton fanboy though! He didn't have a bad game, but was caught out a couple of times and I worry about him getting caught out through the season as a solo holding midfielder, think he plays better in the Karanka system of two midfielders when he was with Leadbitter.

• Like 1
Just now, Jimmy said:

You are the ultimate Clayton fanboy though! He didn't have a bad game, but was caught out a couple of times and I worry about him getting caught out through the season as a solo holding midfielder, think he plays better in the Karanka system of two midfielders when he was with Leadbitter.

I like Clayton, yes, but that's because I can see what he brings to the team!

He is limited in some aspects, and yes sometimes he can get caught out of position (although not as often as some people make out) but he protects and let's others do their thing. We don't have anyone else that can play like that.

He offers a quick and easy out ball and gets it out to the more creative players asap. He has great vision and a great pass on him.

I'm not trying to argue he's an incredible footballer or anything but I truly believe if you drop him you would quickly find out why he was there in the first place.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I like Clayton, yes, but that's because I can see what he brings to the team!

He is limited in some aspects, and yes sometimes he can get caught out of position (although not as often as some people make out) but he protects and let's others do their thing. We don't have anyone else that can play like that.

He offers a quick and easy out ball and gets it out to the more creative players asap. He has great vision and a great pass on him.

I'm not trying to argue he's an incredible footballer or anything but I truly believe if you drop him you would quickly find out why he was there in the first place.

Have to agree with @Brunners if Clayton wasn’t in the team we would be even more vulnerable. We conceded 3 last night with him there, it would have been 6 without him