oneBoro Forum

Boro v Luton Town (A) 3-3 (Fletcher, Assombalonga, Wing)

2 hours ago, BoroJake said:

I have a feeling Luton away might be one of the hardest games of the season for teams. A bit like Millwall away which is often difficult. Didn’t help that we got them first game either

Well we always do tripe in the first game anyway so a decent one to get out of the way early...

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Settle down children and I'll begin...   Twas the night before Luton, when all through the house, Not a creature was stirring, not even a Mejias. A blank kit was packed by the kit

Would you prefer to go back to 11 men behind the ball at all times?   Honestly, I don’t get some fans on here. Complain game after game last season about the negativity. Play open, positive,

One for the season. If we are struggling to score and a camera shot of Robbie Keane "They could do with someone like him in their team now"  

Posted Images

Good to see the forward momentum yesterday, but I'm very, very concerned about our defending - especially given we play Brentford next week.

As some have said - a natural RB and Fry would go along way to solidifying, but the lack of support from the midfield was a huge concern. Often big gaps between the defence and midfield, which Luton capitalised on well at times. More talented sides - and there's many in this league - will run riot with that if it's not sorted before long.

Still, a point away at a very physical, well drilled Luton side who have made their home a fortress over the last few years. Some encouraging signs, some quite major concerns. Let's see what the next few games bring development wise. 

There were a lot of obvious positives last night and lots to be optimistic about, but in balance I hope we don't get carried away too much.

Success for Luton will be survival and I think it will be a tough season for them, although they did well in long spells against us.

We are still 2/3 short of where we need to be in terms of a team that will be anywhere near trouble the top six and I hope we don't lose some of the pragmatism needed in an effort to be good to watch. Last nights team wasn't the biggest and I understand why JW went with Fletcher and McNair, partly I think for that reason.

Having said all that it was great to see us play on the front foot, after probably the worst 18 months of football Ive seen as a Boro fan.

27 minutes ago, Foogle said:

Well we always do tripe in the first game anyway so a decent one to get out of the way early...

This is very true drew the first game last year we were an absolute shambles away to Millwall deserved to lose that game also if I remember we looked a mess at set pieces in that 1 as well we got rescued by the subs.

As a sidenote I've watched Browne for maybe 80 mins combined now and he seems destined for the Prem to me he has solid pace, technique, smart runs, tracks back and relatively both footed however well Johnson did when Browne gets a start I doubt he'll be dropped I've not seen us sign a gem like Browne in a long time sky's the limit with him there's not many signings in the past 15 years that I've instantly thought 'wow' with this kid's one of them.

• Like 2

Putting all other considerations aside isn’t it great to not have the forum split on the merits of the manager and his tactics. We can now discuss tactics entertainment and which youngsters are progressing instead of whether Karanka slagged the fans off or how many games before we score and whether Pulis will kill football. Loving it long may it last 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, pikerman said:

Putting all other considerations aside isn’t it great to not have the forum split on the merits of the manager and his tactics. We can now discuss tactics entertainment and which youngsters are progressing instead of whether Karanka slagged the fans off or how many games before we score and whether Pulis will kill football. Loving it long may it last 

That's obviously until we lose 3-4 games on the trot, then we'll be at each other's throats again ?

• Wow 1
1 hour ago, mendieta420 said:

Did anyone hear the bbctees phone-in after the game last night? The first thing that the first caller said was "well Downing's gone, am glad about that".. some Boro fans are genuinely odd.

Wow... that's not someone who's odd, it's someone who's an idiot ?‍♀️

8 hours ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

. Searching for this bet if anyone knows where I can find it... Boro to score and concede over 150 goals this season.

If you're serious just email the bookies and they'll give you a price. It's how people get odds on those bets where they reckon their kid will play for England one day

2 minutes ago, OldManGravz said:

If you're serious just email the bookies and they'll give you a price. It's how people get odds on those bets where they reckon their kid will play for England one day

I’m guessing he means combined. If he means 150 each that is scoring and conceding more than 3 times every game 

Read all the feedback and one thing to add to the Clayton debate that I don't think was mentioned - the ball for Coulson to run on to for the penalty was excellent. I'm firmly in the 'we need a player in that role and he's the best we've got there' camp anyway. He's a better player than he's shown over the past couple of seasons imo.

Encouraging signs last night overall and we'll hopefully sort the defence and concede less. Under Pulis we'd have seen 1 goal maximum in the match I feel and had a good chance of losing it 1-0. 

• Like 2

Just gonna throw my pennies in too:

So overall I loved it. It was so refreshing to enjoy watching a Boro game. You could see what Woodgate has tried to do and whilst there was imperfect parts, its the right direction.

In the first half it was a bit scrappy, they were trying to assert control while we were trying to press every situation. It led to an end to end first half, but a similar situation in midseason will be different sk we need to learn fast.I honestly wouldnt have complained if anyone was subbed. Not that anyone was particularly bad ( although I actually forgot Wing was our third midfielder for a bit) but everyone had their faults and it felt to me like we needed to try something different personell wise. Probably 6.5s all round, Britt rescued by his goal.

Second half started and they went to a diamond; it was like they had an extra man on the pitch till we sussed it out. Mcnair (to me looks every bit a CB playing CM, hopefully just match rustiness and confidence) and Wing getting bypassed leaving Clayton closing down and getting passed around like a dutchie. Once we realised we needed to hit the flanks and they started to tire, I thought Wing started to assert himself more with the ball and some of his sprayed balls were fab. His goal was just class, but he looked absolutely shattered (as did Coulson - probably explains why he stood there like a maypole while the final goal played out around him). Britt missed a nice chance after being put through with a right cheeky flick and then fluffed his lines to put the game to bed. Hoping he starts getting sharp soon as he is only in the team to score goals (if the keeper doesnt mess up in the first half, then that Britt performance was similar to Shottons defensive one - im certainly not repeating what everyone has already added regarding his passing).

Someone mentioned earlier about needing a Leadbitter to calm the game down when ahead and I agree - but regardless of who is on the pitch I think the management team were concerned about inviting Luton onto us so didnt want to sit back. We lamented Pulis as he would sit back for an hour or so if ahead. But around the 75-80 minute mark I thought we would have seen some fresh legs. With our new pressing, to only use 2 subs in the whole game was bewildering never mind not trying to just see the game out. But that should hopefully come with experience - I dont want to lose sight of the fact that this was Woodgates first as a competitve manager and Keanes as Asst. 

Randolph - 7 - steady, brilliant save at the end. Dunno if he should have come fully for the corner. Held onto the ball to calm us in a number of situations.

Coulson - 7 - got forward well and did his best when outnumbered. Looked shattered late on and was ball watching for the last goal. Good run to earn the penalty, even if I do think we should have been shutting up shop.

Ayala - 6- stepped out well a few times, worried he sometimes steps out, doesnt win the ball and gets exploited (which I think is why AK replaced him with Chambers). 

Shotton - 5 - needs to practice passing along the floor.

Howson - 7 - did well with the ball, acting like a CM playing RB and linked well with whoever drifted out to offer themselves. Good heading interception in 2nd half when really Luton should have aimed for the free man behind him. Assist for Wing?

Clayton - 7 - good pressing 1st half, overran with all our midfield start of 2nd. Played some good passes (his ball onto Coulsons run for the penalty was very well measured)

McNair - 6 - made a few good interceptions but thought he looked a bit lost with the ball at his feet, like a lot of centrebacks do in the final 3rd.

Wing - 7 - thought the 1st half bypassed him, 2nd he grew into and controlled. You can see why Woodgate encourages him to shoot often. Ran out of steam. 

Fletcher - 7 - goal and an assist. Wouldnt have any objections if he started as the central striker next game. Didnt provide full defensive coverage, sometimes ended up going for the same ball as Britt.

Johnston - 7 - decent corners, some good crosses in and a decent assist. Lovely shot the keeper did well to get across for. Seemed to run into blind alleys on the right and could only hope for the defender to play it out. Couple of times he seemed to just cross blindly, which is fine if you have a target man.

Britt - 6 - scored a fluff. 

Sorry if this seems like an incoherent ramble, im not great at writing things like this!

• Like 1