oneBoro Forum

Boro v Luton Town (A) 3-3 (Fletcher, Assombalonga, Wing)

12 minutes ago, ChipBarrington said:

Just gonna throw my pennies in too:

So overall I loved it. It was so refreshing to enjoy watching a Boro game. You could see what Woodgate has tried to do and whilst there was imperfect parts, its the right direction.

In the first half it was a bit scrappy, they were trying to assert control while we were trying to press every situation. It led to an end to end first half, but a similar situation in midseason will be different sk we need to learn fast.I honestly wouldnt have complained if anyone was subbed. Not that anyone was particularly bad ( although I actually forgot Wing was our third midfielder for a bit) but everyone had their faults and it felt to me like we needed to try something different personell wise. Probably 6.5s all round, Britt rescued by his goal.

Second half started and they went to a diamond; it was like they had an extra man on the pitch till we sussed it out. Mcnair (to me looks every bit a CB playing CM, hopefully just match rustiness and confidence) and Wing getting bypassed leaving Clayton closing down and getting passed around like a dutchie. Once we realised we needed to hit the flanks and they started to tire, I thought Wing started to assert himself more with the ball and some of his sprayed balls were fab. His goal was just class, but he looked absolutely shattered (as did Coulson - probably explains why he stood there like a maypole while the final goal played out around him). Britt missed a nice chance after being put through with a right cheeky flick and then fluffed his lines to put the game to bed. Hoping he starts getting sharp soon as he is only in the team to score goals (if the keeper doesnt mess up in the first half, then that Britt performance was similar to Shottons defensive one - im certainly not repeating what everyone has already added regarding his passing).

Someone mentioned earlier about needing a Leadbitter to calm the game down when ahead and I agree - but regardless of who is on the pitch I think the management team were concerned about inviting Luton onto us so didnt want to sit back. We lamented Pulis as he would sit back for an hour or so if ahead. But around the 75-80 minute mark I thought we would have seen some fresh legs. With our new pressing, to only use 2 subs in the whole game was bewildering never mind not trying to just see the game out. But that should hopefully come with experience - I dont want to lose sight of the fact that this was Woodgates first as a competitve manager and Keanes as Asst. 

Randolph - 7 - steady, brilliant save at the end. Dunno if he should have come fully for the corner. Held onto the ball to calm us in a number of situations.

Coulson - 7 - got forward well and did his best when outnumbered. Looked shattered late on and was ball watching for the last goal. Good run to earn the penalty, even if I do think we should have been shutting up shop.

Ayala - 6- stepped out well a few times, worried he sometimes steps out, doesnt win the ball and gets exploited (which I think is why AK replaced him with Chambers). 

Shotton - 5 - needs to practice passing along the floor.

Howson - 7 - did well with the ball, acting like a CM playing RB and linked well with whoever drifted out to offer themselves. Good heading interception in 2nd half when really Luton should have aimed for the free man behind him. Assist for Wing?

Clayton - 7 - good pressing 1st half, overran with all our midfield start of 2nd. Played some good passes (his ball onto Coulsons run for the penalty was very well measured)

McNair - 6 - made a few good interceptions but thought he looked a bit lost with the ball at his feet, like a lot of centrebacks do in the final 3rd.

Wing - 7 - thought the 1st half bypassed him, 2nd he grew into and controlled. You can see why Woodgate encourages him to shoot often. Ran out of steam. 

Fletcher - 7 - goal and an assist. Wouldnt have any objections if he started as the central striker next game. Didnt provide full defensive coverage, sometimes ended up going for the same ball as Britt.

Johnston - 7 - decent corners, some good crosses in and a decent assist. Lovely shot the keeper did well to get across for. Seemed to run into blind alleys on the right and could only hope for the defender to play it out. Couple of times he seemed to just cross blindly, which is fine if you have a target man.

Britt - 6 - scored a fluff. 

Sorry if this seems like an incoherent ramble, im not great at writing things like this!

Good post and it's good we are all seeing it in a different light. I thought Paddy was our best midfielder last night. Thought Shotton and Ayala were all other the place as a pairing but Fry will walk into that team. Coulson shopped his lack of experience defending but was a constant threat the other way. Britt will score goals and anyone can miss a pen. He showed more hunger and movement than we ever saw under TP. Johnson was superb a real outlet at times..lots to improve on that's for sure. Seen worse debut games for managers that's for sure.

• Like 1
  • Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Settle down children and I'll begin...   Twas the night before Luton, when all through the house, Not a creature was stirring, not even a Mejias. A blank kit was packed by the kit

Would you prefer to go back to 11 men behind the ball at all times?   Honestly, I don’t get some fans on here. Complain game after game last season about the negativity. Play open, positive,

One for the season. If we are struggling to score and a camera shot of Robbie Keane "They could do with someone like him in their team now"  

Posted Images

I agree re Britt, I saw more link up play and pressing in this match than I ever saw under Pulis. He looked a little bit more than just a goalscorer in this match. On the flip side this is the second penalty he's blazed over the bar, someone else needs to be on them... 

Do you know after only one game I'm exactly how I was under Aitor, counting down the days till the next game 

Under Pulis it started to feel like a chore supporting us if I'm honest but now bring on deadline day and bring on Brentford 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, RiseAgainst said:

In the absence of Leadbitter, does anyone in the squad have a decent record of taking pens?

I believe Wing would be my man for the spot kicks

No doubt Britt will take them as and when he is on the pitch, miss again next penalty then someone else will come but who that is the question?

I bet there will be plenty of penalty taking practise going on in training now to identify someone else

I have watched the game again and it’s obvious the intent is going forward ever so much so at times it resembles 10 year olds all rushing forward. A high intensity game played forward and pressing the opposing team is all well and good with agile players who also know when not to charge on. We left so much space to counter better teams will relish the opportunity and our defensive play was basically very poor. I still believe it’s the midfield that needs investment and improvement to be the power house with a top rate CB. Moving on, any tips on stopping so many advertisements popping up.  

28 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

No doubt Britt will take them as and when he is on the pitch, miss again next penalty then someone else will come but who that is the question?

I bet there will be plenty of penalty taking practise going on in training now to identify someone else

Woody has already stated Britt will take them and I admire Woody for supporting him but how can any player of reasonable standard miss the target and not once but twice. I’m talking the target and not about scoring which the latter could be forgiven. The opportunity missed has cost us 2 vital points which the worth is not yet known and I hope it’s not something we reflect back on latter in the season. 

It’s so nice to be able to look forward to the matches again after what was by far the most depressing season I’ve ever known as a Boro fan. I suspect with the changes being made a top 6 finish will be tough but it’s going to be a lot more enjoyable a journey. 

Britt is going to be first choice this season so if he can put away his penalties it could easily add between 5 and 10 goals to his tally.  He needs to realise this and put some serious practice in, as ballooning it over the bar is not acceptable.  

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Does anyone know when Fry is due back?

Woody said he still thinks he's a couple weeks off, he doesn't want to rush him back because he knows first hand what rushing back can do.

4 hours ago, sanddancer said:

I have watched the game again and it’s obvious the intent is going forward ever so much so at times it resembles 10 year olds all rushing forward. A high intensity game played forward and pressing the opposing team is all well and good with agile players who also know when not to charge on. We left so much space to counter better teams will relish the opportunity and our defensive play was basically very poor. I still believe it’s the midfield that needs investment and improvement to be the power house with a top rate CB. Moving on, any tips on stopping so many advertisements popping up.  

We certainly gave and will give teams opportunities and that is what I am preparing myself for. I think it will be quite frustrating at times but entertaining. The potential for it to be less frustrating is down to the recruitment team now. Right backs, centre backs, pacy attackers. This high intensity press needs players to rest occasionally and the whole team to work as a single unit. Weak points such as CB, RB will as you say be exploited by the better teams.

As for Lutons goals, their worldy of a first, maybe should have been closed down quicker. We were intent on breaking though and our players ran beyond him. Johnson should have challenged Crainie, he basically gave him a free header and their third was panic by Clayton and Shotton. Those individual errors will hopefully be eradicated as the team settles.

• Like 1

Honestly I think they were lucky to score 3 and we were unlucky not to score 5 or more. Stats say the same.

Their 2 first scorers were defenders not known for scoring at all and the screamer, Bradley would never score like that again if he had 10.000 chances.

Britt alone should have scored at least 2 more goals.. 
Johnson's shot was saved magnificent
Fletcher missed a sitter, I think
McNair hit the bar

• Like 3
5 hours ago, SmogDane said:

Honestly I think they were lucky to score 3 and we were unlucky not to score 5 or more. Stats say the same.

Their 2 first scorers were defenders not known for scoring at all and the screamer, Bradley would never score like that again if he had 10.000 chances.

Britt alone should have scored at least 2 more goals.. 
Johnson's shot was saved magnificent
Fletcher missed a sitter, I think
McNair hit the bar

They argueably should have had a penalty

McManaman hit one wide from 6 yards in first half

Randolphs beautiul reactions saved us at the end

I think a draw is a fair result and if one team had won, id gurantee the losing fans would be going away saying they didnt deserve to lose and could have easily score more etc etc