oneBoro Forum

Boro v Luton Town (A) 3-3 (Fletcher, Assombalonga, Wing)

A lot of comments about personell in defence changing (which I agree with) but lets also remember this is our first competitive game playing a COMPLETELY different style of football to last season. 

Pressing high isn't easy or everyone would do it - theres gonna be some teething problems but I definitely saw enough tonight to get behind Woody and give it time.

UTB, its good to be back!! 

• Like 7
  • Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Settle down children and I'll begin...   Twas the night before Luton, when all through the house, Not a creature was stirring, not even a Mejias. A blank kit was packed by the kit

Would you prefer to go back to 11 men behind the ball at all times?   Honestly, I don’t get some fans on here. Complain game after game last season about the negativity. Play open, positive,

One for the season. If we are struggling to score and a camera shot of Robbie Keane "They could do with someone like him in their team now"  

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, BoroJoey said:

Far too open for me. Defence a massive concerning. We looked bright going forward though which was pleasing

55 minutes ago, BoroJoey said:

Far too open for me. Defence a massive concerning. We looked bright going forward though which was pleasing

3 of the back 4 likely won’t be starting next week, plus Randolph won’t make those mistakes when fully fit. We will be fine, just need shotton out of that defence ASAP, he is absolutely woeful 

One thing I'd say about tonight is that we need to get Ayala a new deal asap, he looked like the only competent defender in a sea of carnage. 

Edited by Foogle
  • Like 5
Just now, Foogle said:

One thing I'd say about tonight is that we need to get Ayala a new deal asap, he looked like the only competent defender in a sea of carnage tonight. 

I'd agree, that looked like the Ayala of old and not last years Ayala.

2 minutes ago, Foogle said:

One thing I'd say about tonight is that we need to get Ayala a new deal asap, he looked like the only competent defender in a sea of carnage tonight. 

Ayala was immense. Won everything in the air from corners and fouls. I said in the transfer thread that on his day he’s one of the best Cb’s in the league. 

I think he’s better when it’s an ‘action’ game, where he has lots to do.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Brunners said:

The dude breaks up so much play it's unreal, he also actually has a great pass on him. If you watched tonights game you'll have seen him spray some absolute beauties out wide. 

Howson could not do the job Clayton is asked to do in this formation because Howson is not a defensive midfielder, Howson is a b2b player.

Yeah I watched the game mate, he played some decent cross fields but nothing spectacular, its not overly difficult to play a cross field pass though lets be honest (Unless you're Ryan Shotton apparantly). 

I'm not undermining Claytons defensive instincts and his ability to break up play as he is very good at it, but I just feel what Howson lacks in what Clayton has, he makes up for in other aspects of his game. IMO Howson is a better passer, shooter, dribbler, he's quicker and he's slightly better in the air. 

I'd say Clayton is a better tackler, he reads the game better from deep and has more grit about him, but if we are pushing men on and trying to play in the oppositions half, Howson could play the role. I don't think Clayton could play at RB for example of when I said Howson has more in his overall game. 

But, its all if's and but's so we'll just have to wait and see what happens. 

I can't see us dropping McNair, one of our best players tonight I thought probably the best of the 3 pressing high up the pitch he's a lot quicker than you think

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Foogle said:

Totally agree foogle. I think Fry returning will make a big difference to our defence as it did look all at sea at times. Hopefully Djiksteel comes too. Then we should look more competent at the back.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Adam P said:

Yeah I watched the game mate, he played some decent cross fields but nothing spectacular, its not overly difficult to play a cross field pass though lets be honest (Unless you're Ryan Shotton apparantly). 

I'm not undermining Claytons defensive instincts and his ability to break up play as he is very good at it, but I just feel what Howson lacks in what Clayton has, he makes up for in other aspects of his game. IMO Howson is a better passer, shooter, dribbler, he's quicker and he's slightly better in the air. 

I'd say Clayton is a better tackler, he reads the game better from deep and has more grit about him, but if we are pushing men on and trying to play in the oppositions half, Howson could play the role. I don't think Clayton could play at RB for example of when I said Howson has more in his overall game. 

But, its all if's and but's so we'll just have to wait and see what happens. 

If we start Howson alongside McNair and Wing, who do you think will cover the full backs and midfielders when they start getting forward? Or is the plan just to keep 2 players back and let the rest go forward?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

I think 100% coulson should not be playing LB any longer. I think to get his full potential we need to play him LW

I think it's a bit harsh considering it's his first competitive game for us, I also think at home it will be more important to have some extra drive in the team from deeper positions, he won us the penalty that should have sealed the result. 

Obviously on the flipside we obviously looked very exposed down our left hand side. Will have to get a proper look at what Bola can bring to the table. 

1 minute ago, Foogle said:

I think it's a bit harsh considering it's his first competitive game for us, I also think at home it will be more important to have some extra drive in the team from deeper positions, he won us the penalty that should have sealed the result. 

Obviously on the flipside we obviously looked very exposed down our left hand side. Will have to get a proper look at what Bola can bring to the table. 

He looks very good attacking. I just think that he’s probably better than anything we’ve got at LW right now. Whereas at LB we have Bola

• Like 1
1 minute ago, J.T. said:

If we start Howson alongside McNair and Wing, who do you think will cover the full backs and midfielders when they start getting forward? Or is the plan just to keep 2 players back and let the rest go forward?

yep this is my point, you need someone defensively minded like Clayton to make the others work well, having 3 forward thinking midfielders will leave far too much space.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, J.T. said:

Whichever one doesn't go into the initial press ? When Clayton won the ball back for our 2nd goal on the edge of the box were Wing and Mcnair both ahead of him ? When the ball broke for their 3rd goal Wing was the deepest of the 3 midfielders, a little later in the game when they had a counter down the left Mcnair was the deepest and he got across to cover.

If Howson pushes forward then Wing can sit and have a breather, vice versa with Mcnair, the midfield 3 isn't going to be rigid if we are pressing up the pitch. 

10 minutes ago, Foogle said:

But how do we know this is the norm it was only one game?

What I'm saying is that the end of the day people just want results and any time we're not getting them the way we're playing is always the thing blamed, it's tough to get the balance right, especially at the start of a completely new regime. 

We don’t know, I agree.

All I was saying, was the sacrifice for being ‘solid’ at the back doesn’t mean we suddenly go gun-ho and concede a high amount of goals.

Obviously we won’t condense 3 goals a game every match day, I’m just stating a point how it doesn’t have to be one way or the other. Woodgate’s job is to find the right balance, it will take time. The positive is that it seems we can attack and get goals, so half of woodgates job is done. 

Fry will be back and is an instant improvement on Shotton. New Rb will be signed, again probably an upgrade on Howson, (however he did ok tonight). 

• Like 1