oneBoro Forum

Boro v Luton Town (A) 3-3 (Fletcher, Assombalonga, Wing)

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Settle down children and I'll begin...   Twas the night before Luton, when all through the house, Not a creature was stirring, not even a Mejias. A blank kit was packed by the kit

Would you prefer to go back to 11 men behind the ball at all times?   Honestly, I don’t get some fans on here. Complain game after game last season about the negativity. Play open, positive,

One for the season. If we are struggling to score and a camera shot of Robbie Keane "They could do with someone like him in their team now"  

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

. Searching for this bet if anyone knows where I can find it... Boro to score and concede over 150 goals this season.

That's a bit conservative 

14 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I like Clayton, yes, but that's because I can see what he brings to the team!

He is limited in some aspects, and yes sometimes he can get caught out of position (although not as often as some people make out) but he protects and let's others do their thing. We don't have anyone else that can play like that.

He offers a quick and easy out ball and gets it out to the more creative players asap. He has great vision and a great pass on him.

I'm not trying to argue he's an incredible footballer or anything but I truly believe if you drop him you would quickly find out why he was there in the first place.

I agree to an extent, although I remember having this conversation with I think it was Duvel at the start of last season, and he went on to have a poor season last season by his standards, and I don't think we did play worse in the games he wasn't starting. 

Listen, it's all about opinions. I don't think he's a bad player at all, and for every Clayton fanboy there's someone who criticises every thing he does, but I think when it comes to him many still view him in his 15/16 form under Karanka, whereas in my opinion he hasn't been anywhere near that standard in the last two seasons. 

I'd love a midfield trio of Howson, Wing, McNair. Howson bringing the experience and engine, Wing with the creativity, and McNair as a versatile midfielder who can play box-box or sit as a holding midfielder.

If Clayton holds his position, and plays well, I'll be delighted for him and it's nothing personal against him (although his manbun didn't help ? )

3 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I agree to an extent, although I remember having this conversation with I think it was Duvel at the start of last season, and he went on to have a poor season last season by his standards, and I don't think we did play worse in the games he wasn't starting. 

Listen, it's all about opinions. I don't think he's a bad player at all, and for every Clayton fanboy there's someone who criticises every thing he does, but I think when it comes to him many still view him in his 15/16 form under Karanka, whereas in my opinion he hasn't been anywhere near that standard in the last two seasons. 

To be fair, we dropped clayton because we had Mikel who is the same type of player only better so that's not entirely fair on Clayton saying we didn't miss him haha.

I wonder how much of his past two seasons has been the pulis effect. Will be interesting to see if he can get near that karanka form again now the team is playing with more freedom.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Brunners said:

To be fair, we dropped clayton because we had Mikel who is the same type of player only better so that's not entirely fair on Clayton saying we didn't miss him haha.

I wonder how much of his past two seasons has been the pulis effect. Will be interesting to see if he can get near that karanka form again now the team is playing with more freedom.

Yeah true!

I also agree about the Pulis effect, and to be fair to him, Garry Monk didn't rate/play him either, so he hasn't had the easiest two years.

He's not alone in not having a good couple of seasons, and there's many players in the squad that have underperformed under Pulis so maybe I'm being a bit harsh to single him out.
Either way, lets hope he nails down the position and, like you said, rediscovers his form now he might have more freedom.

• Like 2

Last nights game showed that we definitely need signings before Thursday night. There was a lot of pluses but the defence need reinforcements, and if Gestede is the only striker on the bench then we are seriously lacking there as well. We really need 5-6 in and a couple out, but wont have time to achieve that.

It is definitely a 2-3 season rebuild, but hopefully with a lot of excitement on the way. One thing that hasn't changed however is me wanting to kick the TV during the game. I am very pleased though with the changes so far and hope it continues to improve. Actually a decent result last night.

8 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Yeah I've had a debate with a few people on here about Clayton over the years because I've always been a fan of him. 

To be fair he's been below his best the last 2 seasons but so have a lot of the players. I think he was at his best alongside another defensive midfielder under Karanka and he was arguably our most important player in the promotion season. 

In our current system he's going to be extremely exposed but I still think he's a good player in the right system. 

My gripe on here has always been people criticising Clayton for things like his goal scoring record which is ridiculous.  

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Yeah I've had a debate with a few people on here about Clayton over the years because I've always been a fan of him. 

To be fair he's been below his best the last 2 seasons but so have a lot of the players. I think he was at his best alongside another defensive midfielder under Karanka and he was arguably our most important player in the promotion season. 

In our current system he's going to be extremely exposed but I still think he's a good player in the right system. 

My gripe on here has always been people criticising Clayton for things like his goal scoring record which is ridiculous.  

I think having two players like Wing and McNair ahead of him with lots of energy compliments the balance in midfield. Think overall the midfield and attack functioned pretty well and I don't think that is anyway near our best defence. 

I absolutely loved last nights game and already cant wait for the next game, what a difference getting a forward thinking coach makes, I think I'm right in saying that the starting 11 last night were players all available to Pulis last season which for me is telling in how inept Pulis is.

Only downer was Shottons performance, I would play anyone but him and after last night I cant see him being in the team again.

UTB