oneBoro Forum

Boro v Luton Town (A) 3-3 (Fletcher, Assombalonga, Wing)

I enjoyed the game yesterday. What pleased me the most was how we continued to attack after we went 3-2 up. Playing Luton away in their first game was a potential banana skin, but I thought we handled it fairly well and had the better of the game. Biggest difference from last year: I actually watched the whole thing. Last year, I'd often switch off if we went a goal down because we just didn't look like scoring. UTB!!!!

• Like 2
  • Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Settle down children and I'll begin...   Twas the night before Luton, when all through the house, Not a creature was stirring, not even a Mejias. A blank kit was packed by the kit

Would you prefer to go back to 11 men behind the ball at all times?   Honestly, I don’t get some fans on here. Complain game after game last season about the negativity. Play open, positive,

One for the season. If we are struggling to score and a camera shot of Robbie Keane "They could do with someone like him in their team now"  

Posted Images

I have a feeling Luton away might be one of the hardest games of the season for teams. A bit like Millwall away which is often difficult. Didn’t help that we got them first game either

I really enjoyed the game last night from an attacking sense. However defensively we were abysmal that 3rd goal especially was stuff out of the Sunday league manual. I think a commanding central defender has to be seen as key for us in the transfer market. 

Coulson was probably my man of the match tand what a finish by Wing as well. It must have been great for the neutral that game last night but if we are going to do anything significant in the championship this season the defence needs to be addressed.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

I have a feeling Luton away might be one of the hardest games of the season for teams. A bit like Millwall away which is often difficult. Didn’t help that we got them first game either

I agree...I think it will get easier as the season progresses because it's a tough season, and Luton will presumably have injuries. Getting them first game was tough. They have tons of momentum and self-belief on the back of two great seasons. Overall, I'm happy with that point. That was not an easy first game.

Only had a quick scan but, I haven’t noticed anyone mention how great Coulson (again) was last night. Rewatched game this morning and Johnson was actually good, fletcher scored so couldn’t ask for more from them ironic since these are the positions    We seem desperate, as fans to replace. Shotton was possibly main player I thought let us down

1 minute ago, whitey said:

Only had a quick scan but, I haven’t noticed anyone mention how great Coulson (again) was last night. Rewatched game this morning and Johnson was actually good, fletcher scored so couldn’t ask for more from them ironic since these are the positions    We seem desperate, as fans to replace. Shotton was possibly main player I thought let us down

Fletcher scored but wasn't involved that much imo and he left Coulson 1v2 a lot of the game too, I'd like to see Browne on the left once we get a right winger brought in 

2 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

Fletcher scored but wasn't involved that much imo and he left Coulson 1v2 a lot of the game too, I'd like to see Browne on the left once we get a right winger brought in 

3 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

I thought so too, but his end stats were encouraging:

78.6% pass accuracy
4 Shots
3 Aerial duels won
3 Key passes
1 Goal
1 Assist

I think being a striker playing further out he's always likely to drift in and out of games.

3 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I thought so too, but his end stats were encouraging:

78.6% pass accuracy
4 Shots
3 Aerial duels won
3 Key passes
1 Goal
1 Assist

I think being a striker playing further out he's always likely to drift in and out of games.

True I like Fletch just think we'd be better with Browne out there, someone who can carry the ball

Seemed to be a lot of long balls last night as Fletcher and Britt were so high up the pitch and Johnson doesn't really carry the ball and get at people, seems to cut back and whip it in more often than not. Think with Browne and a RW we'll have more of an outball for the centre/full backs

Again catching up again, cause it took me about a year to reset my password 5year lurker, and my main thought was as mentioned the pressing which seems like we were expecting to see the biggest change and emphasis with and didn’t quite happen, I remember Klopp first game in charge of pool and it didn’t quite work but you could tell instantly how much they were trying to implement it it, which I didn’t feel last night. And boro coming from 2-1 behind to lead who thought we’d ever see that again in our lifetime. #excited for season

Mentioning fletcher  not being involved much but as I say got a goal and ultimately that’s what counts ya know ? did ass do that much apart from him holding the ball up well once? which stood out because it’s what he should have been doing anyway last season but never did.  Maybe I’m feeling bitter about the penalty 

I think the quantity of long balls is a tactic woodgate is employing- get the ball high up the pitch and win it back as quickly as possible. It's not quite the passing and moving game that I was expecting but it was still a lot better to watch than last season so I'm happy!

36 minutes ago, whitey said:

Mentioning fletcher  not being involved much but as I say got a goal and ultimately that’s what counts ya know ? did ass do that much apart from him holding the ball up well once? which stood out because it’s what he should have been doing anyway last season but never did.  Maybe I’m feeling bitter about the penalty 

Well.. he did score haha

6 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I think the quantity of long balls is a tactic woodgate is employing- get the ball high up the pitch and win it back as quickly as possible. It's not quite the passing and moving game that I was expecting but it was still a lot better to watch than last season so I'm happy!

It ebbed and flowed, there was some spells of pass and move. Woodgate post game said that in the first half there were too many long balls, so I think it's just part of the overall game plan, and we'll still see a lot of pass and move stuff too!