• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just don't think some people are very objective when it comes to certain players in individual games. I said myself so many times at the start of this season how little Saville contributed to this t

This should be fun.

Damn autocorrelation! 

Posted Images

7s for Randy, Howson, Fletch, Britt and Johnson. Britt did alright second half, and got a goal so pushed him up to a 7. Randy made 1 or 2 really good saves in the first half when we were under the cosh.

5 for Browne

n/a for Gestede

6s for everyone else, Woody included

10 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

7s for Randy, Howson, Fletch, Britt and Johnson. Britt did alright second half, and got a goal so pushed him up to a 7. Randy made 1 or 2 really good saves in the first half when we were under the cosh.

5 for Browne

n/a for Gestede

6s for everyone else, Woody included

Think this about lines up with mine too, although I gave howson an 8 cause for me he was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch, otherwise agree with everything you said here.

I didn't think Howson was that good last night.  The ball he put in for the goal was a beaut, no question, but he seemed kinda hesitant to attack at times, particularly when he had space in front of him and the ball at his feet.  It might have been by instruction but it seemed a bit odd when you think that he's really a midfielder and he has got a good cross on him.  He also had plenty of help as McNair and Clayton were practically holding hands with him most of the evening, which is something I again found odd, as we seem content to leave the left backs almost to their own devices?  Then weirdly, they all get injured ?

Interesting. I thought howson was the best defender on the pitch at times (which is worrying enough) he made himself available, he tried to make things happen put in the ball for the goal but it was actually his defensive performance that I liked best last night. I agree he didn't seem to want to go forward as freely at times but he did make a number of runs with the ball still.

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

Interesting. I thought howson was the best defender on the pitch at times (which is worrying enough) he made himself available, he tried to make things happen put in the ball for the goal but it was actually his defensive performance that I liked best last night. I agree he didn't seem to want to go forward as freely at times but he did make a number of runs with the ball still.

I thought he had a lot of help.  Far more help than our left backs get.  At times McNair almost seemed to be playing as a right wing back himself and Clayton always seemed to be on hand.  It looked odd to me because our left backs don't get the same type of help - "don't worry, Ashley will be over there to help you out and you've got Ryan right next to you, you'll be fine" ?

I think it's possible that their injuries are more psychological than physical ?

@Changing Times and @Brunners I think Howson was definitely instructed to hold back. I noticed Fletcher drifiting into a central position a hell of a lot, which left Howson dealing with a 2-1 a lot of the time. Which is also why it seemed at times McNair was almost acting as a wide midfielder himself (in attack and defence).

• Like 1

Just to add once Fletcher and Browne swapped wings it did seem that Howson had a bit more of a license to roam forward.

He was solid at the back, but like most of our team, he did misplace a few passes. I seem to remember he executed an over the shoulder flick to clear the ball, that went straight to a Wigan midfielder, when the better option was to roll it to Clayton.

Paddy and Marv get my top marks today with 8 - Paddy was slow first half but everyone was. Key part of the second half resurgence. 

Marvin seemed at the heart of everything good we did in the second half so for me it's a toss up between those two for my MoM.

Paddy, Johnson and Fletcher again top marks. I'll give Randolph an 8 too, he nearly gifted a goal but in general he was outstanding once again. That save first half was superb.

I'll give Fletcher man of the match. He wasn't quite as bad as some of them first half and was great second half. His touch is getting better and better. So good that we have at least one forward who we can actually play the ball off because Britt struggles. Britt was better today at times though. His decision making was actually good second half at least, keeping the ball alive instead of having a dig when the shot isn't on.

Randy, Johnson, McNair, Fletcher (motm) - 8

Howson, Bola, Clayton, Wing - 7

Ayala, Shotton, Saville, Britt - 6

Browne - 5