oneBoro Forum

Boro v Brentford 0-1

2 hours ago, whitey said:

Has Woodgate mentioned anything about selections, ie he’ll pick whoever’s been best in training, on form, best suited to opposition etc?

Hmmm, what he has said has been a kind of... if you're good enough, you're old enough attitude. That would suggest to me he's taking a lot from what goes on in training, certainly right now. Having said that, I don't think he'd like to change a winning team. I think primarily he'll go with the best team to do what we want to do and have any opposition's challenge be dealt with by that team, as opposed to specifically countering it by say... playing Shotton over Dijksteel at right back because we expect a lot of aerial battles or something akin to that kind of thing.

Not to say he won't ever do that but I think in terms of priority, he might put it by something like:

Form
Suitability to Role
Training
Opposition Counter

So if Tav's been playing well but so have 3 other centre-mids, he might shoe-horn Tav in over a forward who isn't having as good a time. If Fry hasn't been playing great but we need ball-player at the back, he'll get in over Shotton even if the latter is training well. If Shotton is better for aerial stuff but isn't training as well as Dijksteel, the latter will make the team.

Or I could be talking ***, I think I know which version a lot would agree with.

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Introduction.  Welcome to BearSmog's first matchday thread of the 2019/2020 Championship season. I must warn you, if you are not a fan of GIFs I recommend you look away now, the opening post of t

Well talk about a day that had so much mixed emotions for a 6 year old lad attending his first Boro game. Whilst his dad waited to pay for the tickets I took Teddy into the club shop coming out £

Ok so before this game I genuinely thought we'd lose or draw which goes against our historically good home record and Brentford's awful away record but we did perform better than I thought we would.

Posted Images

Woodgate said Dijksteel is his first choice right back both in terms of who he wanted to buy but also in terms of within the squad. So I think he'll play.

I think it's interesting that the logical midfield is 

Clayton

Wing.          Saville

As Saville is left footed. But he's not doing it. 

I think team will be

Randolph

Coulson

Fry

Ayala

Dijksteel

Clayton

McNair

Wing

Fletcher

Johnson

Assombalonga

Morning one and all and already up for the momentous day of one little lad aka my grandson Teddy.

Going for my usual morning walk, get the papers for my neighbour, get home then shit and shower time.

Pick up Daniel and Teddy and then leave the area about 0845hrs.

Have a couple of rest breaks along the way and hopefully in Middlesbrough in time for the players arriving and as many obligatory pictures that can be taken, Just hope Teddy can get up and close to Ryan Shotton his fave player, the reasons only a 6 year old knows!

Have no doubt that he will want to visit the club shop.

I know that he is bursting with excitement and this has built up all week, let the result be good for the Boro please because it is a long way home though I am sure his spirits will not be dampened.

If anyone sees me and Daniel and "Teddy" easily recognisable with his name on his shirt do come over and say hello.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Morning one and all and already up for the monumentus day of one little lad aka my grandson Teddy.

Going for my usual morning walk, get the papers for my neighbour, get home then *** and shower time.

Have a couple of rest breaks along the way and hopefully in Middlesbrough in time for the players arriving and as many obligatory pictures that can be taken, Just hope Teddy can get up and close to Ryan Shotton his fave player, the reasons only a 6 year old knows!

I know that he is bursting with excitement and this has built up all week, let the result be good for the Boro please because it is a long way home though I am sure his spirits will not be dampened.

If anyone sees me and Daniel and "Teddy" easily recognisable with his name on his shirt do come over and say hello.

Safe journey mate and will keep an eye out for you and say hello if I see you. Hope your Grandson enjoys his day as well.

Literally like a kid at Christmas this morning!

Cannot wait to get up to Middlesbrough, have a couple of pints and hopefully watch a great game of football! Going for an entertaining 2-1 win with Britt and Wing with the goals!

UTB

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Downsouth said:

Morning one and all and already up for the momentous day of one little lad aka my grandson Teddy.

Going for my usual morning walk, get the papers for my neighbour, get home then *** and shower time.

Have a safe journey up DS, I drove up yesterday and managed to hit all the bloody traffic on the way! Fingers crossed it's clear!

I think after Luton the front 3 has to stay the same just because they did what was asked - scored and assisted. You need to send out a message that if you perform, you can keep your place. And by letting them keep their places you get to see whether they are able to replicate those performances rather than just dropping in and out of the side whilst being expected to perform. Yes highlight that more team play is expected but they delivered in their first competitive game

I wouldn't be surprised to see a front 3 of Browne, Fletcher and Johnson.  Depends if Britt does have a niggle.  

I think Browne should come in.  He's going to be our most exciting player this season but its hard to drop Fletcher who seems like a confidence player.  Would also be hard to drop Johnson in my opinion.

Currently on a WiFi-less Cross Country train heading to the north east from Lanarkshire. Despite not wanting Woodgate to get the job, I feel quite optimistic today. Mainly because we might actually get to see some entertainment on the pitch today, after the anti-football of the last 18 months. And also cos it'll be great to cheer Leo when he appears. Hope we get to see Browne and Bola, even if they come on as subs.