oneBoro Forum

Boro v Brentford 0-1

5 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

Fletcher hand is no where near the ball ? it hits the defenders shoulder

I’m sorry but that’s wrong, I can accept that I may be seeing it wrong but Fletchers hand appears from behind the defender just as the ball changes direction towards the goal.

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Introduction.  Welcome to BearSmog's first matchday thread of the 2019/2020 Championship season. I must warn you, if you are not a fan of GIFs I recommend you look away now, the opening post of t

Well talk about a day that had so much mixed emotions for a 6 year old lad attending his first Boro game. Whilst his dad waited to pay for the tickets I took Teddy into the club shop coming out £

Ok so before this game I genuinely thought we'd lose or draw which goes against our historically good home record and Brentford's awful away record but we did perform better than I thought we would.

Posted Images

We're at the start of a new direction so there was always going to be lots of bumps in the road. We had a lot of mess to clear up after the Pulis area so it was always going to take time and it's why I had low expectations coming into this season, especially in the first few weeks, so I'm not getting too disheartened by todays defeat and very poor performance in the second half.

Coulson had a few very good flashes but he was positionally very bad at times, which led to our CB's having to drift across and left us vulnerable. He has a lot of the defensive side to learn so if we're going to stick with him then we're going to have to be patient.

Woodgate has now got a good reason to give Bola, Dijksteel, Browne and Tavernier an opportunity to break into the team.

8 minutes ago, Will said:

I’m sorry but that’s wrong, I can accept that I may be seeing it wrong but Fletchers hand appears from behind the defender just as the ball changes direction towards the goal.

I promise you, it was not hand ball.

10 minutes ago, Will said:

I think we need the opposite side angle so can see what the ball hits as on this angle can't see at all even frame by frame 

• Like 2

I dont know why I didnt see it. I think I was more looking at the ball than the play but the couple I was sat with both said handball before it was disallowed. We were sat in the South West so had quite a decent view (I didn't use mine wisely ?). The only thing I have seen since is that clip on this page which isnt really the best angle to make a conclusive judgement on it.

I agree with Will. It’s not as clear cut as it looks. To me it does seem a bit out of time if it were to hit the defenders head if that makes sense? Fletchers right hand comes across the defender as he goes to head it away. You can’t for definite say from that angle whether it hit his head or fletchers hand. The fact every single Brentford player appealed straight away makes me lean towards it being the right decision.

12 minutes ago, p_mards said:

We're at the start of a new direction so there was always going to be lots of bumps in the road. We had a lot of mess to clear up after the Pulis area so it was always going to take time and it's why I had low expectations coming into this season, especially in the first few weeks, so I'm not getting too disheartened by todays defeat and very poor performance in the second half.

Coulson had a few very good flashes but he was positionally very bad at times, which led to our CB's having to drift across and left us vulnerable. He has a lot of the defensive side to learn so if we're going to stick with him then we're going to have to be patient.

Woodgate has now got a good reason to give Bola, Dijksteel, Browne and Tavernier an opportunity to break into the team.

I thought he looked fine but was exposed due to a lack of cover at times.  I don't think he left us vulnerable at all really, the team line up and set up did but not him individually.

This is not a race - season will be won over 40+ games. Saw enough in first half to know it's going to be a fun season of good played football on the ground. We will need to shaw up the back but expect this to be done once Friend & Fry are fully fit. Shotton within the first few seconds of the game showed nervous touches.

I think we also will need to think strategically about how we press - the commentary nailed it - we can't sustain that over 90 minutes. We need to pick and choose when to do this.

As for Rudy, WTF, we need a good alternative to him. Surely the free market has some players available. 

Would be good to see Bola, Brown and Dutch lad get starting. Might be interesting to advance Coulson further up pitch. 

Lastly, to finalise my point on fun season - i dont expect us to win the league - I fully expect this to be a team developed over a season or two before we come in contention - obviously i hope for more - but i think any boro fan needs to realise time is to build for future and not keep rebuilding each season

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Guys. It is THE worst angle of it. It doesn't touch Fletchers hand.

We can only judge it on the view we have, calm down.

2 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

But refs are told to favour the attacker this clearly isn't done here

I don’t think they’ve ever been told that in the case of handballs.

5 minutes ago, Will said:

I don’t think they’ve ever been told that in the case of handballs.

But I don't understand how the ref can be 100% that it's a handball when even us on that clip aren't really sure 

14 minutes ago, Will said:

We can only judge it on the view we have, calm down.

I'm not not calm, but you're discussing the merits of a handball on an angle that is almost useless.

Away for years then back with a couple of posts...

I thought the officials were poor all the way through. Not just the disallowed goals , but also the fact they let Brentford get away with blatant gamesmanship, particularly in the 2nd half. Little tricks like not allowing us to take quick free kicks, cynical fouls, play acting, & time wasting all went unpunished- canos walked the width of the pitch to go off at snails pace , when the rules now state he should've gone off at the nearest touch line.

i enjoyed the first half especially, much more than just about any in the previous seasons. 

Utb

• Like 1