oneBoro Forum

Boro v Brentford 0-1

19 minutes ago, xathras said:

This is not a race - season will be won over 40+ games. Saw enough in first half to know it's going to be a fun season of good played football on the ground. We will need to shaw up the back but expect this to be done once Friend & Fry are fully fit. Shotton within the first few seconds of the game showed nervous touches.

I think we also will need to think strategically about how we press - the commentary nailed it - we can't sustain that over 90 minutes. We need to pick and choose when to do this.

As for Rudy, WTF, we need a good alternative to him. Surely the free market has some players available. 

Would be good to see Bola, Brown and Dutch lad get starting. Might be interesting to advance Coulson further up pitch. 

Lastly, to finalise my point on fun season - i dont expect us to win the league - I fully expect this to be a team developed over a season or two before we come in contention - obviously i hope for more - but i think any boro fan needs to realise time is to build for future and not keep rebuilding each season

Frazier Campbell, Gary Hooper, Obafemi Martins, Emmanuelle Riviere 

Wingers there's Susaeta, Bakary Sako, Markovic, Keisuke Honda, Matias, Ribery lol 

Not much, either haven't played since getting crocked or will be asking for high wages

Susaeta be our Pablo Hernandez? ? 

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Introduction.  Welcome to BearSmog's first matchday thread of the 2019/2020 Championship season. I must warn you, if you are not a fan of GIFs I recommend you look away now, the opening post of t

Well talk about a day that had so much mixed emotions for a 6 year old lad attending his first Boro game. Whilst his dad waited to pay for the tickets I took Teddy into the club shop coming out £

Ok so before this game I genuinely thought we'd lose or draw which goes against our historically good home record and Brentford's awful away record but we did perform better than I thought we would.

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

anyone in second half see their CB #23 just palm his hand into Britt face after we got a free kick near the touch line. Not sure how that wasn’t a red card..

Sure did but since the ref hit Shotton earlier in the game I wasn't surprised he only got a yellow/ 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Red Rocket said:

Sure did but since the ref hit Shotton earlier in the game I wasn't surprised he only got a yellow/ 

Ref hit Randolph in the face earlier in the game - did he hit Shotton too?!

6 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

anyone in second half see their CB #23 just palm his hand into Britt face after we got a free kick near the touch line. Not sure how that wasn’t a red card..

Yes he put his hand right around Britts throat.

Yeah forgot to mention that. We had a good view of the hand in Britt's face. The ref coming over to 'calm things down' was rubbish, he'd committed a clear red card offence. Think if the linesman was on that side, he may well have been sent off. As it is, ref wasn't looking in that direction and that's pretty much his only defence.

• Like 1

Well talk about a day that had so much mixed emotions for a 6 year old lad attending his first Boro game.

Whilst his dad waited to pay for the tickets I took Teddy into the club shop coming out £72.00 poorer for the experience but talk about a kid in a sweet shop he would have been happy with half the shop I believe.

Then we went to the fans bar and he got interviewed by BBC Tees along with both of us (don't know if anyone heard me plugging the forum) he got a Football Manager 2019 game presented by MFC and of course cock a hoop.

Inside things got better in his eyes because Ryan Shotton spoke to him had his picture taken with him and got his autograph along with a few others to boot and high fived him saying "I won't let you down" actually he was really good with Teddy. Dael Fry told him he would be back in about 10 days.

Then the game and he found out first hand just what it is like to be a Boro supporter he was really very cross at two seemingly good goals not being allowed but as I said to him maybe the third goal would be the lucky goal an so it proved to be for Brentfords benefit!

I thought we were pretty good first half but then we lost all drive and determination to get back into the game once they had scored. Not as coherent as last week for certain but boy we had a lot of bad luck today.

Outcome of the day...…………………….he wants to come back!  

• Like 11
4 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Well talk about a day that had so much mixed emotions for a 6 year old lad attending his first Boro game.

Whilst his dad waited to pay for the tickets I took Teddy into the club shop coming out £72.00 poorer for the experience but talk about a kid in a sweet shop he would have been happy with half the shop I believe.

Then we went to the fans bar and he got interviewed by BBC Tees along with both of us (don't know if anyone heard me plugging the forum) he got a Football Manager 2019 game presented by MFC and of course cock a hoop.

Inside things got better in his eyes because Ryan Shotton spoke to him had his picture taken with him and got his autograph along with a few others to boot and high fived him saying "I won't let you down" actually he was really good with Teddy. Dael Fry told him he would be back in about 10 days.

Then the game and he found out first hand just what it is like to be a Boro supporter he was really very cross at two seemingly good goals not being allowed but as I said to him maybe the third goal would be the lucky goal an so it proved to be for Brentfords benefit!

I thought we were pretty good first half but then we lost all drive and determination to get back into the game once they had scored. Not as coherent as last week for certain but boy we had a lot of bad luck today.

Glad he had a good day DS!

Just seen the highlights from today after being at the game, payed the price for square pegs round holes. As a full back howson has got to do that ball across the face of the box that becomes a tap in, two boro men are maybe half a yard away in tracking that one brentford lad that's came short to the front post yet howson completely leaves Watkins after tracking him all the way back to try and cut off the short ball which would have been a harder chance to finish infront of randolph and leaves the simplest of tasks at the back post, hopefully playing Dijksteel, who's had more experience at right back will make a better decision in the future.

27 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

This was really uplifting to read! (I've had the day from hell) Really glad he enjoyed himself! ?

• Like 3

Well, just got back from Teesside, the journey down was much better than coming up for all those interested. It was also a day of firsts in my household too, much like DS's, except it was my better halves first time to the Riverside. Due to Boro losing I now believe that she is a bad luck charm, so I can officially confirm she is not allowed back unless there are mitigating circumstances.

Anyway back to the football. I haven't watched the game back yet so these are just first impressions. Annoyingly due to being stuck in the collections queue for almost an hour, we missed the first 25 minutes, which was our most productive spell. And the officials worst spell. But 1st half we were definitely the better team. We also had around 3-4 decent chances in the last 20 minutes of the half. Our passing was neat, tidy and importantly actually penetrating. We also seemed to have movement in front of the defence and midfield. 

2nd half we came out a different team. Once they scored, our gameplan seemed to go out the window. We became incredibly static and a few players seemed to avoid wanting the ball. Our passing became incredibly sloppy then we seemed to decide to just lump it up and hope. The subs and formation change was odd, we seemed to have luck down the flanks in the first half then changed tack to try and play down the middle, with 2 up top and Browne just behind. Think it would have been a better option if we kept some width. Our most productive moments in the 2nd half seems to be when Dijksteel and Coulson bombed on, out wide, but they had to do it by themselves as everyone was in the middle.

Again don't want to focus on the negatives or single individuals out too much. But this team is still learning and finding it's feet. Still think there are a lot of aspects to our gameplan that need work. But I'm confident that if we play like we did in the first half, more consistently we will be fine.

Also their 23 was lucky to not be carded after pushing Britt in the throat. Isn't raising your hands to the neck/face is a sending off offence? But that said McNair was lucky not to be seen, lashing out on one of their players, after he was pulled to the ground.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Will said:

The first one the referee has told Woodgate was disallowed for handball. The second one was disallowed for offside.

Unfortunate as the decisions today we're, any talk of var is mischievous though Good or bad, football is built on the story of debate. Decisions that are dubious depending on who you follow on any particular day.  Var for me will kill that off.  It may be accurate I don't now but kills the spontaneity.

Unlucky today, lucky beyond belief on another day.

Let it be! Leave as is for me please!

• Like 1