oneBoro Forum

Boro v Brentford 0-1

I'm a big believer that these things even themselves out over the season. So yes it is desperately frustrating that 2 goals had been ruled out and arguably Brentford got away with not being down to 10 men. But over the season we will be on the right side of decisions like yesterday's.

• Like 1
  • Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Introduction.  Welcome to BearSmog's first matchday thread of the 2019/2020 Championship season. I must warn you, if you are not a fan of GIFs I recommend you look away now, the opening post of t

Well talk about a day that had so much mixed emotions for a 6 year old lad attending his first Boro game. Whilst his dad waited to pay for the tickets I took Teddy into the club shop coming out £

Ok so before this game I genuinely thought we'd lose or draw which goes against our historically good home record and Brentford's awful away record but we did perform better than I thought we would.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I'm a big believer that these things even themselves out over the season. So yes it is desperately frustrating that 2 goals had been ruled out and arguably Brentford got away with not being down to 10 men. But over the season we will be on the right side of decisions like yesterday's.

I think it's just further proof that VAR needs to be implemented in the Championship immediately. We win that game yesterday if it's in the Premier League. The standard of Championship officiating has been abysmal for the entire time we've been in the league.

• Like 4

Yesterday was chaos for the fans tbh. There was still a huge line outside the ticket office quite a while after the game started, some people's season cards wouldn't work and even some of the tills weren't working. Something always goes wrong at the first home match but I've never seen anything like this before.

Does anyone really want to see the ball hit the net, and instead of celebrating, spend a minute staring at a flashing Checking VAR message on the big screen before the match resumes and the moment is gone? I watched MotD yesterday, and what I saw was a total mood hoover of a system that has failed to eliminate the ambiguity it was supposedly introduced specifically to resolve. PL games will be a lot less spontaneous and enjoyable for fans in the stadia this season, and quite frankly, I'm glad the Championship doesn't have it.

24 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

I think it's just further proof that VAR needs to be implemented in the Championship immediately. We win that game yesterday if it's in the Premier League. The standard of Championship officiating has been abysmal for the entire time we've been in the league.

I agree, do think VAR needs to massively change. How it is used at the moment is almost amateurish. I really don't get why the video referee can't just over turn decisions (like in rugby), rather than going through the faff and delay of the on field referee reviewing the incident. 

As most stadiums in the Premiership and Championship have big screens surely when the video referee sees something that needs to change. They can just put it on the big screen so the on field referee (and fans) can view it. Rather than the referee taking 10-20 seconds to jog over to the small screen pitch side. One small change that would prevent VAR from disrupting the game as much. 

5 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Does anyone really want to see the ball hit the net, and instead of celebrating, spend a minute staring at a flashing Checking VAR message on the big screen before the match resumes and the moment is gone? I watched MotD yesterday, and what I saw was a total mood hoover of a system that has failed to eliminate the ambiguity it was supposedly introduced specifically to resolve. PL games will be a lot less spontaneous and enjoyable for fans in the stadia this season, and quite frankly, I'm glad the Championship doesn't have it.

What like when Fletcher scored then everyone had to wait and see that the lino had his flag up for offside? (I get that, that example is a much quicker timeframe). 

1 hour ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

Probably get some pelters for this but I think Fletcher is our best finisher and should be given a chance at 9.

Fully agree, his all round game is so much better than Britt’s, his finishing is also now starting to look better. He’s now scored 3 perfectly good goals in his first 2 games realistically. 

6 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

What like when Fletcher scored then everyone had to wait and see that the lino had his flag up for offside? (I get that, that example is a much quicker timeframe). 

There was no waiting, the flag was up before Fletcher even took his shot.

I suppose we wont know until this seasons accounts are published but I think Gibson has probably backed Woodgate to the max. He has kept Britt and Randolph, with their near £4m / year salary, which a lot of people on here said was a priority. After 2 games to suggest moving Britt for Fletcher smacks of panic to me. I have never really been a fan of Britt, but he put a shift in yesterday, kept their defenders occupied and was unlucky when his shot hit the post. 

20 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Absolute tosh.

How about when the ball hits the back of the net and fans start cheering, jumping with joy, then have their emotions cut short and switched round entirely because a decision is made that rules it out? Like what happened twice yesterday? How is that at all worse than having to wait before you ultimately end up cheering again? At least with VAR, you know the ref is making a judgement based on information being replayed to him and giving him all the information he needs to make the call.

And besides, at the end of the day we have had 2 goals, 1 potential penalty and 1 potential red card for the opposition that were missed yesterday at different stages of the game which could have had a hugely beneficial result to us. Brentford got 3 points and we got nothing because of bad refereeing calls. I don't know about you, but I'd rather we won that game personally. I think it's absolute rubbish to suggest we should accept rules being poorly administered throughout a season for the sake of 30 seconds of atmosphere here and there.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Will said:

There was no waiting, the flag was up before Fletcher even took his shot.

My point is even though that decision was instant, people still celebrated. The only difference with VAR is it may take another 30-60 seconds for a correct decision to be made. I'd rather watch football games being decided by which team plays better, rather than the games be decided by officials decisions that are wrong. 

• Like 3

Few words from Fletch afterwards:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/twice-denied-middlesbrough-striker-ashley-16736273

“In my eyes we had two perfectly legal goals and they weren’t given,” said the striker after twice being denied by controversial calls in the 1-0 Riverside defeat to the Bees.

“I was down at the bottom end with the fans, and I looked and saw the linesman waving his flag and I didn’t believe it,” he explained.

“As far as I’m concerned, the defender was in front of me, and I thought the final touch came off his head.

“I’ve gone off celebrating thinking that we were 1-0 up, but obviously the linesman has seen something we haven’t. I can’t understand it.”

Under the new interpretation of the rules a deliberate handball has meant an automatic yellow card this season but Fletcher went unpunished which deepened the confusion over the call.

“I saw the linesman pointing to his arm, so I was thinking, ‘If it a handball then I’m going to get booked,” said Fletcher.

“But the referee didn’t book me. That’s where I was confused as well. If he’s given it against me for handball, why hasn’t he booked me?

“James Collins was booked for exactly that at Luton last week when they had one ruled out against us.

“It was really frustrating. We were really controlling the game at that point, and to have got that goal would have been really good.

“It’s those fine margins isn’t it? We go 1-0 up and it’s a different game.”

“I’ve just looked at it and I’m at least two or three yards on,” he said. “I thought I was at the time. I was sure I was.

“Again, it’s the frustration. The officials have a really tough job and I don’t like to criticise them, but obviously we’ve been hard done by.

“If we had gone into the break 2-0 up, it would have been a completely different game.

“It’s difficult to take. We’ve lost the game and we don’t want to lose games, but overall I thought the first half was fantastic.

“It was breathless, pressing the life out of Brentford, and we were creating a lot of opportunities.

“There were my two, Britt hit the post as well, plus Paddy McNair put one just past the post . We could easily have been 3-0 or 4-0 up.

“The manager just said at half-time we had been fantastic and that the tempo and the way we closed Brentford down was brilliant.

“He just said carry on like that but unfortunately, we didn’t do that in the first ten minutes and that’s when they obviously got their goal.

“Teams like that will punish you. They only need a couple of opportunities. But we can’t dwell on it.

“It’s evident for the fans to see, the way we are playing this season is definitely easier on the eye.

“We’re taking more risks, which is part and parcel of it. Sometimes, we might be a bit stretched, but at the same time, we’re creating a lot of opportunities as well.

“That first half was how we want to be play. We could feel that we were on top of Brentford, and we never really looked like conceding.

“It was one-way traffic but you’ve got to score when you’re on top.”

• Like 1