• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Introduction.  Welcome to BearSmog's first matchday thread of the 2019/2020 Championship season. I must warn you, if you are not a fan of GIFs I recommend you look away now, the opening post of t

Well talk about a day that had so much mixed emotions for a 6 year old lad attending his first Boro game. Whilst his dad waited to pay for the tickets I took Teddy into the club shop coming out £

Ok so before this game I genuinely thought we'd lose or draw which goes against our historically good home record and Brentford's awful away record but we did perform better than I thought we would.

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

My point is even though that decision was instant, people still celebrated. The only difference with VAR is it may take another 30-60 seconds for a correct decision to be made. I'd rather watch football games being decided by which team plays better, rather than the games be decided by officials decisions that are wrong. 

Indeed, the flag may have gone up straight away too but few fans are watching the linesman unless it's already been a big talking point on a few decisions. Or unless he's right in your line of sight, I guess.

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

He has a fair point about the booking that I hadn't thought about. If it was given for handball - which it apparently was - the referee still cocked up by not booking him.

I was thinking similarly. But I guess it depends on the deliberate nature of it. If it's not deliberate but still a foul, I'd guess it's not a yellow? Collins' for example was clearly deliberate.

I was thinking it's similar to when a player goes down in the box, looks at the ref and they say no penalty. If they've gone down but it's not a penalty, is it not a dive? Should they be booked? Open for discussion I guess but there are probably scenarios in which both situations can occur without a booking being needed.

2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

He has a fair point about the booking that I hadn't thought about. If it was given for handball - which it apparently was - the referee still cocked up by not booking him.

This is a good point and helps hammer home that the officials were indeed inept and shouldn’t be running games at this level.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I was thinking similarly. But I guess it depends on the deliberate nature of it. If it's not deliberate but still a foul, I'd guess it's not a yellow? Collins' for example was clearly deliberate.

I was thinking it's similar to when a player goes down in the box, looks at the ref and they say no penalty. If they've gone down but it's not a penalty, is it not a dive? Should they be booked? Open for discussion I guess but there are probably scenarios in which both situations can occur without a booking being needed.

You would have to assume thought if the linesman thinks he's handled it in, he would also think he's done so deliberately, wouldn't you?

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

He forgot to book Clayton as well I think it was just after the McNair 'penalty' he did a classic Clayton wipe out a player on the break.

Lmao I remember that, the player nearly did like a full flip in the air from memory. Yesterday wasn't Claytons best game.

I’ve also had it in the back of my head for a while that there were signs SG was beginning to move towards selling the club. Balancing the books so a new owner could come in with no issues. I’m now convinced this is what he is looking to do. We all know he still loves the club so in my opinion he would only sell to someone he truly believes will do the very best for the club at all times and can invest serious money in at the same time. If he finds that buyer then I think it would be a positive move. Would love to hear other people’s thoughts on this  

Aye, it's onside but it's a split second call and the linesman has clearly looked across and saw him ahead of the defender closest to him.  It's hardly a terrible decision though, it's not like there's yards in it.  You can see why he's got it wrong.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Brunners said:

You would have to assume thought if the linesman thinks he's handled it in, he would also think he's done so deliberately, wouldn't you?

Would you? I'm not so sure that's the case. Surely there are ways a player can handle a ball in without it being deliberate and yet also be a foul? With Collins as I say, it was very clear, he had his hand right up by the side of his head ready to direct the ball in. He may have judged the ball to have hit Fletcher's hand in his natural stride, he doesn't run with his hands by his sides.

11 minutes ago, DevKWat said:

I’ve also had it in the back of my head for a while that there were signs SG was beginning to move towards selling the club. Balancing the books so a new owner could come in with no issues. I’m now convinced this is what he is looking to do. We all know he still loves the club so in my opinion he would only sell to someone he truly believes will do the very best for the club at all times and can invest serious money in at the same time. If he finds that buyer then I think it would be a positive move. Would love to hear other people’s thoughts on this  

If any prospective buyer has to buy Rockliffe and the grounds, including the hotel specifically, not only would the sale be complicated but potentially add an extra 30+ million to the sale price.

The approach of youngsters plus some 'gems' is the right approach for the football club over the next 10 years especially if we're in the same ownership. The football club will not become an established PL club under Steve Gibson again barring a once in a lifetime crop of young players who take us up establish us and then get sold for serious money that's a reality I've accepted so would prefer the football club to get in healthier financial standing. Villa have some of the richest guys in Britain financing them, I think he's not going anywhere through a mixture of still loving it and any potential sale being complicated by Rockliffe grounds.

14 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Aye, it's onside but it's a split second call and the linesman has clearly looked across and saw him ahead of the defender closest to him.  It's hardly a terrible decision though, it's not like there's yards in it.  You can see why he's got it wrong.

What? He's a clear 2-3 yards onside If the linesman is watching the line I don't think he'd even be able to see Fletcher due to Marvin Johnson and the Brentford defender both being ahead of the play. Scratch Marvin Johnson, he's actually about in line with Fletcher, but the Brentford defender definitely isn't.

23 minutes ago, beanflickingchampion said:

Is there a video of another angle of the so called handball? If so can post it please.

There is in the highlights on the site, but it's just the long camera angle from behind.

Edited by Brunners
  • Like 1