oneBoro Forum

Boro v Brentford 0-1

16 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Aye, it's onside but it's a split second call and the linesman has clearly looked across and saw him ahead of the defender closest to him.  It's hardly a terrible decision though, it's not like there's yards in it.  You can see why he's got it wrong.

What?! It’s not like it’s even a close call and the linesman has a clear view of it. He shouldn’t be doing the job if he can’t get calls like that correct 

• Like 4
  • Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Introduction.  Welcome to BearSmog's first matchday thread of the 2019/2020 Championship season. I must warn you, if you are not a fan of GIFs I recommend you look away now, the opening post of t

Well talk about a day that had so much mixed emotions for a 6 year old lad attending his first Boro game. Whilst his dad waited to pay for the tickets I took Teddy into the club shop coming out £

Ok so before this game I genuinely thought we'd lose or draw which goes against our historically good home record and Brentford's awful away record but we did perform better than I thought we would.

Posted Images

17 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I can't really see it, Will. It happens really quick and the angle from behind the goal doesn't help. That one makes it look like he's headed it in but it could be something else quite easily as Fletcher is almost entirely behind him.

Literally just watched the highlights back on the Sky site and disappointed they've not got the offside one in there too. Hopefully shows on our highlights tomorrow along with a better angle of the first one. Doubtful on the latter though, I guess.

Will say for their goal though, Canos definitely did a number on us. Just as much down to how we try to win the ball back though. Shotton is trying to steal it from him, if he stands his ground he at least pulls him down. Same with Ayala, could have wiped him out but just steams in without much thought. Credit to Canos where it's due as well, though.

With them both out the game, they had a man over. Howson went the wrong way and tried to block the cut back, Canos passed it the other way. If Howson stood his ground, he'd have been in a position to clear the cross. Difficult to blame him, he had two to cover.

My read of the goal was that Shotton pointed to Howson to cover Watkins who then ran into no-mans, leaving the goalscorer wide open. A natural RB may have made a different decision there. The other man was in front of goal and would have had to beat at least one player to score it, whereas we left the only man with an open goal unmarked. Not sure what Ayala was doing up the pitch trying to win it of Canos anyway, but he really got done. 

I've watched the handball goal about 50 times and I'm still not sure. I see Fletchers hand kind of out there in an unnatural position, but it also really looks like it came of the defenders head. If it was ruled out for a push then I could accept that, but a handball seems guessy. The offside was really not offside, but the whistle went before Fletcher went for goal, keeper and defender might have looked less half arsed if it hadn't. 

14 minutes ago, Brunners said:

What? He's a clear 2-3 yards onside If the linesman is watching the line I don't think he'd even be able to see Fletcher due to Marvin Johnson and the Brentford defender both being ahead of the play. Scratch Marvin Johnson, he's actually about in line with Fletcher, but the Brentford defender definitely isn't.

There is in the highlights on the site, but it's just the long camera angle from behind.

It's about one pace onside rather than 2-3 yards.  The linesman is watching the line but he's also got to watch the ball or he won't know when the ball was played.  He doesn't get to freeze frame it like that, he's got to make a real time call and I can see why he got the call wrong.  He's looking across at the defender closest to Fletcher and thinks he's ahead of him and thus offside.  

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

It's about one pace onside rather than 2-3 yards.  The linesman is watching the line but he's also got to watch the ball or he won't know when the ball was played.  He doesn't get to freeze frame it like that, he's got to make a real time call and I can see why he got the call wrong.  He's looking across at the defender closest to Fletcher and thinks he's ahead of him and thus offside.  

There's clear daylight between Fletcher and the defender playing him on! What are you talking about? Are you saying he just doesn't see the defender there between Fletcher and himself?!?

Just now, Brunners said:

There's clear daylight between Fletcher and the defender playing him on! What are you talking about? Are you saying he just doesn't see the defender there between Fletcher and himself?!?

Yes, sort of mate.  I'm saying that by the time he looks from where the ball is being played from, to where Fletcher is, that he looks offside to the linesman because Fletcher is ahead of the defender closest to him (Fletcher).  The actual defender playing him onside at the point that the ball is played is obviously not close to Fletcher and I think that the linesman can't tell that he has played him onside.  So I can see why he made the mistake albeit it's still a mistake as it's not offside.

7 minutes ago, Will said:

FWIW Collin Murray has said on Twitter that with slow mo on all the footage both him and Warnock thought it was handball for the first.

They also said "clear offside" for the 2nd goal though on the show. 

4 minutes ago, boroie said:

And also said that they had another angle that showed the “handball”. If they had, why didn’t they show it?

7 minutes ago, boroie said:

He said the commentary is not done by them and they have no control over it.

• Like 1

One thing I'm not understanding about football right now is.. all these clubs spending millions and millions on players, but not playing them. Why sign Dijksteel, Bola and Browne if they're not going to play? Get them in the side so they can 'bed-in'.

9 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

One thing I'm not understanding about football right now is.. all these clubs spending millions and millions on players, but not playing them. Why sign Dijksteel, Bola and Browne if they're not going to play? Get them in the side so they can 'bed-in'.

Just how you think of the game mate. Some will say just throw them in, others will say play the team that know each other best and let the new guys settle in first. Don't think either are particularly wrong.

You'll see all 3 play on Tuesday and hopefully they play well and start again at the weekend.

25 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

I would have played at least two out of the three if not all of them.  I'm sure they will be in soon enough either way.

26 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

Bedding in isn't just done by playing though, is it? It's being around the training ground for a while, getting on board with the long term tactical changes between their old team and the current one. I absolutely understand why you would choose not to play them straight away.

54 minutes ago, Blanco said:

And also said that they had another angle that showed the “handball”. If they had, why didn’t they show it?

Yeah good point. And on that, why do the MFC highlights not show it (they show the bad angle) if there were 4 cameras, and those who watched the live stream say there were better angles? 

• Like 2

thought we were unlucky yesterday...on balance of play, deserved at least a draw, can't really express an opinion about first goal as too far away for my eyes....but strange that none of the goalmouth photographers seem to have a shot of the handball if it did occur....Fletch was onside for second goal but defence played to whistle.....thought Britt should have pulled ball back to unmarked player on edge of six-yard box instead of shooting when he hit post, but overall, encouraged and think that when things settle, we will be OK, not expecting great things, just entertainment and a better time than last year.....glad Teddy enjoyed himself, but now you can't threaten him with going again if he is naughty....roll on Tuesday 

• Like 1