oneBoro Forum
Erimus74

Boro flashback - 70's

1st post for me on here 

5th August 

This day back in 1975 

Our 2nd match in our glorious ASC triumph at home to Carlisle, after beating Sunderland 3-2 we thumped Carlisle 4-1 with goals from Alan Wiley 2, John Hickton penalty & Ian Bailey's 1st Boro goal on his 2nd appearance

One more point will see us top the group & qualify for the next stage

Boro 4 Carlisle 1

Boro team
Jim Platt
John Craggs
Ian Bailey
Graeme Souness
Stuart Boam
Willie Maddren
Bobby Murdoch
David Mills
John Hickton
Alan Willey
David Armstrong

Attendance:8,737

By big Jack liked to play his strongest teams back then 

5th August 1975.jpg

Carlisle ASC 05:08:1975.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome Erimus74,

That's probably a little before my time, I started watching The Boro in 1978, quite a few on the team sheet were still with us when I started watching. Platt, Craggs, Souness Boam, Armstrong, Mills and Bailey all stayed for a while.

• Like 1

warm welcome Erimus. its always good to do a bit of reminiscing now and then.  im in the slightly older generation so those Big Jack days bring back some great memories ,had my first ever season ticket(as a juvenile mind) the season we actually did smash this league. 

• Like 1

Yes welcome indeed Erimus 74 and a nostalgic look back in time.

I was saying to my lad on Friday whilst at Luton how I remembered Big Jack following the players around and taking their track suit tops and bottoms just before kick off. Alan Foggon a recent addition to the team in that match.

Looking at the line up I wonder just how many of them would walk straight into the current set up on a like for like basis?

Quite a few I would think.

• Like 1

Erimus from FMTTM ? welcome.

My era,loved those days, used to keep a scrap book with cuttings from the Boro Pink? Do I remember that correctly? 

• Like 1

Erimus74 is a great poster on another forum. He will provide plenty of this. 👍. Boro through and through. A joy to make my OneBoro debut on the same day👋. UTB!

• Like 2

Great to have you both on board. Welcome to the forum 👍

• Like 1

Am I correct in thinking that we went on to win the Anglo Scottish Cup that year ie 1976 for the final? I seem to remember winning 1-0 against Fulham at Ayresome Park and drawing 0-0 at Craven Cottage in the final. I was quite young at the time so am open to correction 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_Little_Fella said:

Erimus74 is a great poster on another forum. He will provide plenty of this. 👍. Boro through and through. A joy to make my OneBoro debut on the same day👋. UTB!

Cheers The_Little_Fella, nice words maet, appreciated 

3 hours ago, Blanco said:

Am I correct in thinking that we went on to win the Anglo Scottish Cup that year ie 1976 for the final? I seem to remember winning 1-0 against Fulham at Ayresome Park and drawing 0-0 at Craven Cottage in the final. I was quite young at the time so am open to correction 

3 hours ago, Blanco said:

Blonco, yes you are correct, apart from the year, december 1975 we drew 0-0 at Craven Cottage & after beating Fulham 1-0 in the 1st leg at AP in November . 

• Like 1

Welcome here erimus! Must admit I love your posts on FMTTM, always nice to hear about the Boro that I wasn't around to see at the time.

The guys here are great I promise you! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Erimus74 said:

Blonco, yes you are correct, apart from the year, december 1975 we drew 0-0 at Craven Cottage & after beating Fulham 1-0 in the 1st leg at AP in November . 

Thanks for the clarification Erimus. I’m glad that the old grey matter is still functioning reasonably ok. I had January in my head for the second leg at Craven Cottage but I am happy to hear that I was close enough. 👍

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BillinghamBoro said:

Welcome here erimus! Must admit I love your posts on FMTTM, always nice to hear about the Boro that I wasn't around to see at the time.

The guys here are great I promise you! 

Cheers BillighamBoro

6 hours ago, Blanco said:

Thanks for the clarification Erimus. I’m glad that the old grey matter is still functioning reasonably ok. I had January in my head for the second leg at Craven Cottage but I am happy to hear that I was close enough. 👍

7 hours ago, Erimus74 said:

Sorry really did make me chuckle, good job your user name was not Planco, Blanco:classic_biggrin: 

10 hours ago, The_Little_Fella said:

Welcome also The_Little_Fella and for your endorsement of a fellow forum member. oneBoro certainly seems to be attracting a fair number of FMTTM members?