oneBoro Forum

Flashback/On this Day Erimus74 & McMordie

8th October 1974

Boro beat Leicester 1-0 to record another league cup victory at Ayresome Park & progress to round 4

A crowd of 23,901 were there to see David Mills score the only goal of the game 

Boro team - Platt, Craggs, Spraggon, Souness, Boam, Maddren, Murdoch, Mills, Hickton, Foggon, Armstrong, sub, Willey replacing Foggon in the 2nd half

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

26th August 1995 27 years ago today, Boro played their 1st ever game at the Riverside Stadium, our brand new sparkling stadium, the ideas & blueprints were printed in the Evening Gazette on t

If memory serves right, he got a hat trick in one reserve game . Very unlucky to be playing same time as Pat Jennings as would have won many more caps, but then would we have been able to hang on to h

50 years today - IMHO the start of an unbelievable, never to be forgotten season                                   25th August 1973                  Portsmouth 0 v The mighty Boro 1 50 yea

Posted Images

Was at that game at Old Trafford, Erimus..........a very long 90 minutes.......wish we had scored three minutes from the end instead of the kick-off....weird how elastic time can be in those situations......good ride home on the coach though....listening to sports reporters trying to explain MU had been unlucky rather than outplayed, .......some things don't change.....thanks for the memories....  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Old Codger said:

Was at that game at Old Trafford, Erimus..........a very long 90 minutes.......wish we had scored three minutes from the end instead of the kick-off....weird how elastic time can be in those situations......good ride home on the coach though....listening to sports reporters trying to explain MU had been unlucky rather than outplayed, .......some things don't change.....thanks for the memories....  

Cheers for that Old Codger?

Erimus you will be able to help me. 

Can you remember the floodlights failing at Ayresome Park,I think it was against Leicester? 

When was that? I also seem to remember we won the rearranged game 3-0.

Thought you might be able to answer above? 

22 hours ago, Maccarone said:

Erimus you will be able to help me. 

Can you remember the floodlights failing at Ayresome Park,I think it was against Leicester? 

When was that? I also seem to remember we won the rearranged game 3-0.

Thought you might be able to answer above? 

Maccarone, the date of the lights failure was 24th September 1974, Boro leading 1-0, Souness scored & Keith Welker was running through with the ball when the lights went out 

I remember standing in the holgate, in what seems ages then it came over the tanniy that the problem coukdnt be fixed that night & we all trundled off in to the night

• 2 weeks later...

29/10/1988 - Boro flashback 

Boro 4 Millwall 2 & a record signing 

I remember this day, for all the right, excitable reason's, as if it were yesterday

Saturday morning me & Pam had just got home from shopping with my pre-match fish & chips before setting off to the match

As we sat in the back room having our dinner, one ear listening to Pam & the other listening to the radio when all of a sudden it was announced that Peter Davenport had chose to sign for the Boro over Villa, wow, what a cracking signing, 2 years after almost going to the wall we had signed an England International from Man Utd & ex Forest player, a record signing, which was going to improve our young, exciting team even more, or so we thought

As soon as I heard the news my F&C were history, I was so excited I just wanted to go the match then, though it was only half 12 & we lived in the village, which was 10 minutes to AP

Once I came down from off the ceiling I finally ate my F&C, gave my wife a kiss on the cheek & round to the yellow rose for a pre match beer, or two with my dad & mates, then off to the holy grail, to see the mighty Boro

Walking to the ground you could feel the excitement in the air, going through Ayresome Park turnstiles the ground was buzzing, there's only going to be one winner that afternoon

The match kicked off, the crowd were really up for it, the game swung one way, then another, from 1-0 up to 2-1 down to winning 4-2, this game was as good as the score suggests

Exciting from start to finish, fantastic Boro

Gary Hamilton v Trevor Hurlock, what a contest, Gary Hamilton came out on top though

With goals from Bernie Slaven, Stuart Ripley, Mark Burke & a Gary Parkinson penalty

What a fantastic game, one of my highlights at AP, I dearly miss that place

That was a fantastic era following the Boro, so proud & fortunate to have been a Boro fan back then 

Boro team: Stephen Pears, Gary Parkinson, Colin Cooper. Tony Mowbray, Gary Hamilton, Gary Pallister, Bernie Slaven, Mark Brennan, Mark Burke, Paul Kerr, Stuart Ripley, sub, Alan Kernaghan

I'm sure that was Millwalls 1st defeat of the season & Millwalls keeper signed for us on loan for 4 games a few seasons later

Attendance: 19,788

29:10:1988.JPG

Millwall 29:10:1988.jpg

B.Slaven...jpg

GParkinson.jpg

Mark Burke.jpg

Sripley...jpg

• Like 1

Boro flashback 29th October 1983

Boro 4 Shrewsbury 0

Goals by Heine Otto, his 3rd of the season & his 1st at home in that campaigne, a double from Dave Currie taking his seasons tally to 8 goals & a final goal to round off a great victory from Paul Ward, for his 1st & only goal for the Boro

It was our 1st win in 8 games infront of our lowest crowd of the season, 6,372

Big Mal's team

Kelham O'Hanlon - Was to miss the next game for a legend to sign on loan

Darren Wood - An ever present that season 

Tony Mowbray - 6th game of the season, when he wore 3 different shirt numbers

Heine Otto - This quality, skilful maverick played every game that season, loved his time at the Boro

Mick Baxter - Only missed one game all season, the final one, RIP Mick

Irvine Nattrass - An ever present that season, his only one at the Boro

Paul Ward - Wore 5 different shirt numbers that season

Mick Kennedy - Loved this player, fantastic attitude

Dave Currie - Finished the season on 15 league goals, good local player, IMHO

Paul Sugrue - Only missed 2 games in the whole season, cracking signing

Andy Crawford  -  2nd game, his home debut

H.Otto.jpg

Irvine Nattrass...jpg

Darren Wood.jpg

Dave Currie.jpg

PWard.jpg

• Like 1

Erimus 74, what a cracking thread.   Heine Otto , my original hero as he scored at my first ever game 1-3 to spurs opening day 81/82?  A real trip down a proper lovely memory lane, keep them coming.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, PompeySmog said:

Erimus 74, what a cracking thread.   Heine Otto , my original hero as he scored at my first ever game 1-3 to spurs opening day 81/82?  A real trip down a proper lovely memory lane, keep them coming.

Cheers Pompey Smog, I certainly will

I met & had a coffee with Heine recently when in Amsterdam, what a lovely humble man who remembers his time with great memories 

IMG_20190627_164517.jpg