oneBoro Forum

Flashback/On this Day Erimus74 & McMordie

8 hours ago, DocMartin said:

Some excellent nostalgia on this thread. Always nice to remember past seasons and reflect on the ups and downs of being a Boro fan, our past is what makes us who we are today. Lovely stuff.

Cheers DocMartin & very true, very true indeed 

Edited by Erimus74
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

26th August 1995 27 years ago today, Boro played their 1st ever game at the Riverside Stadium, our brand new sparkling stadium, the ideas & blueprints were printed in the Evening Gazette on t

If memory serves right, he got a hat trick in one reserve game . Very unlucky to be playing same time as Pat Jennings as would have won many more caps, but then would we have been able to hang on to h

50 years today - IMHO the start of an unbelievable, never to be forgotten season                                   25th August 1973                  Portsmouth 0 v The mighty Boro 1 50 yea

Posted Images

One of the best additions to the Forum for a long time, thanks Erimus for bringing back so many memories, really enjoy your posts, absolutely excellent.

I hope some of our younger forum members take time to read these, it's all about the history of the club, the good times and the bad and is what makes us who we are.

Pure brilliant stuff!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Maccarone said:

One of the best additions to the Forum for a long time, thanks Erimus for bringing back so many memories, really enjoy your posts, absolutely excellent.

I hope some of our younger forum members take time to read these, it's all about the history of the club, the good times and the bad and is what makes us who we are.

Pure brilliant stuff!

Maccarone, thank you for the kind words, it nice to remind fellow Boro of the good & bad yesterday's history, as you say, that's what we are, the whole package 

UTMB 

Boro flashback - 20th december 1980

Boro 4 Spurs 1 

A cracking early christmas present for us Boro fans with David Hodgson one & only 1st team hat trick, his 4th goal of the season, Boro's 130th hat trick as a football league club & 123rd at Ayresome Park  & a Craig Johnston with his 9th goal of the season, in front of 15,990

I can't praise John Neal enough for the team he was building at Ayresome Park, a truly fast, attacking, youthful team & another 'if only' Boro team

Boro team on the day

Jim Platt

John Craggs

Ian Bailey

Craig Johnston

Billy Ashcroft

Irving Nattrass

Terry Cochrane

Mark Proctor

David Hodgson

Dave Shearer

Dave Armstrong

Sub -  Tony McAndrew

I suspect the scoreline will be reversed when we play Spurs again. And I wonder if we'll ever see a Boro team with 11 UK players starting, let alone a team with three Dave/Davids in it. You know where you are with a player called Dave.

• Like 1

Boro flashback this day back in 1986 - Sunday football 

21st December the Boro travelled to Griffin Park to face Brentford in our 3rd division fixture, the game was played on a sunday which was Boro's 2nd ever Sunday fixture, though 1st league fixture after playing Notts County away on Sunday the 7th of December in the 2nd round of the FAC, which I travelled to on the supporters coach

And similar to the Notts County game we came away with a 1-0 away win in a memorable season

This game also included a debutant in Paul Proudlock, wearing the No12 shirt, replacing Archie Stephens in the 2nd half

Bruce's team

Stephen Pears

Brian Laws

Colin Cooper

Tony Mowbray

Gary Parkinson

Gary Pallister

Bernie Slaven

Archie Stephens

Gary Hamilton

Gary Gill

Stuart Ripley

1986-88 was similar to 1973-75 whereas the team was virtually the same, week in, week out

Boro flashback - This day 1985 & our 1st double of the season

21st December seen the Boro travel to Craven Cottage & record our 1st double of the season,  in front of 3,513, our 1st back to back wins of the season & 2nd away win when we battered Fulham 3-0 with a brace from Gary Rowell, scoring his 6th & 7th goals of the season & Bernie Slaven, with a goal doubling his Boro account, his 1st Boro away goal on his 11th appearence

The late, great Willie Maddren will have an enjoyable night & few drinks to celebrate an excellent win in the capital

Boro team

Stephen Pears

Brian Laws

Tony McAndrew

Tony Mowbray

Don O'Riordan

Gary Pallister

Gary Hamilton

Pat Heard

Bernie Slaven

Archie Stephens

Gary Rowell

I wasn't sure whether to post this on here or not but over on FMTTM there's a thread about you.  Someone has said you have suffered a family bereavement?  Just wanted to offer my sympathies and best wishes if that's the case.

22 hours ago, Changing Times said:

I wasn't sure whether to post this on here or not but over on FMTTM there's a thread about you.  Someone has said you have suffered a family bereavement?  Just wanted to offer my sympathies and best wishes if that's the case.

Thank you

• Thanks 1

H all, hope you all had a lovely xmas day

Boro flashback to probably one of my favourite festive Boro games, back in 1976

27th December Ason Villa arrived at Ayresome Park unbeaten since 29th October when losing 3-0 at Liverpool

David Mills scored the 1st of the 2 hat tricks he scored in his Boro career

The whistle blew with Boro going in at HT 3-1 to the good & a half you didnt want to end we were that good, the score actually flattered Villa, we battered Villa

The 2nd half was a totally different game as Villa took the game by the scruff of the neck when pulling a goal back, via Andy Gray

A crowd of 31,451 with erimus & his younger brother

Boro team 

Jim Platt

John Craggs

Terry Cooper

Graeme Souness

Stuey Boam

Willie Maddren

Tony McAndrew

David Mills

Alf Woods

Peter Brine

David Armstrong

Sub Alan Willey replaced Willie Maddren

IMG_20191108_190604.jpg

David Mills...jpeg

Aston Villa 27121976.jpeg

Edited by Erimus74

Boro flashback - This day 1977

We say farewell to the best Boro player, IMHO, to play for our football club

31st December seen Graeme Souness play his final game for the mighty Boro in a 2-2 home draw v Norwich

A couple of seasons previous, Souness scored the only goal v Norwich to temporarily take us to the top of the league, this time v Norwich he was saying goodbye

Graeme Souness had signed for the Boro on the 30th December 1972 now leaving on the 31st 1977 with over 200 appearances for the Boro, scoring 23 goals, including one hat trick

Another massive legend John Hickton also started his final game for the Boro after 11 seasons, ironically his 1st game for the Boro was No5 & his last starting shirt was No5, big John was to make 4 more appearances wearing the No12 shirt before leaving his beloved Boro

Goalie Pat Cuff, who made his Boro debut on the 9th April 1974, in a 0-0 home draw v Bolton, was also playing his final game for the Boro as manager John Neal was checking out who he wants as No2 to Jim Platt going forward

This game also seen Stan Cummins score his 1st home goal, doubling his Boro account                                    Davey Armstrong got the other goal 

The game was watched by the lowest crowd of the season 15,646, which was 12,000 down on the previous home game 4 days earlier v Man City

John Neal's team that finished the year

Pat Cuff

John Craggs

Ian Bailey

Graeme Souness

John Hickton

Alan Ramage

David Mills

Billy Ashcroft

Tony McAndrew

Davey Armstrong

Sub - Billy Woof

IMG_20190719_091955.jpg

Davey Armstrong.jpeg

David Mills.jpeg

I would like to thank you for the time and effort and the enjoyment of your thread over the last few months or so, also as CT mentioned to acknowledge your recent family bereavement.

Met Souness as he was dating my cousin at the time 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Downsouth said:

I would like to thank you for the time and effort and the enjoyment of your thread over the last few months or so, also as CT mentioned to acknowledge your recent family bereavement.

Met Souness as he was dating my cousin at the time 

Thank you