oneBoro Forum
Erimus74

Boro flashback / On this day - Erimus74

Boro flashback - This day the 26th November 1975

Hands up those who were genually excited about playing in a cup final, when given our history apart from the North Riding Senior Cup finals us Boro fans were pretty thin on the ground when cup finals come along, so this was the biggy

We wern't really too bothered how many we scored to take to the second leg in December, as long as we took a lead & a lead we took, courtesy of Les Strong connecting to a Davey Armstrong cross, 1-0 to the mighty reds, to take to Craven cottage in 2 weeks time

Jim Platt
John Craggs
Frank Spraggon
Bobby Murdoch
Stuey Boam
Willie Maddren
Peter Brine
David Mills
John Hickton
Terry Cooper
Davey Armstrong
Sub - Alan Foggon, who came on for Bobby Murdoch in the 2nd half

IMG_20191126_171004.jpg

Match ticket.jpeg

IMG_20190709_183827.jpg

ASC final 1975 Boro v Fulham.jpeg

• Like 1

That was the team I grew up with and still my favourite time as a fan.

Lots of nostalgic memories. 

Thanks Erimus 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Maccarone said:

That was the team I grew up with and still my favourite time as a fan.

Lots of nostalgic memories. 

Thanks Erimus 

Yes, my era too, great days 

Remember that game well....maybe I was just unlucky, but every time I saw Moore, I was left thinking why is this guy rated so highly....constantly moaning to referee, argued with teammates and just seemed as though he thought he was fouled every time Boam drop-kicked him more than ten feet....

• Like 1

Boro flashback - This day 1994

Boro 4 Portsmouth 0

Our final season at Ayresome Park threw up a 4 goal win for the mighty Boro, with a double from Paul Wilkinson & Craig Hignett bringing both players goals tally for the season to 5 & another cleansheet in to the bargain, 17,185 were there to see the Boro win our 8th home win of the season, with only one setback to Tranmere, Boro sitting top of the league & looking good in Bryan Robsons 1st season in charge

Robbo's team

Alan Miller

Neil Cox 

Chris Morris

Steve Vickers

Derek Whyte

Robbie Mustoe

Jamie Pollock

Jan Fjortoft

Craig Hignett

Paul Wilkinson

Jamie Moreno

Subs

John Hendrie

Ben Roberts

03:12:1994.jpg

The late, great Willie Maddren played  340 games, 3 as sub between 1968 - 1977, scoring 21 goals

He scored a goal on his full Boro debut on the last home game of the season & to date, an unbeaten home record against relegated Bury, what could go wrong 

Willie almost doubled his account from the same position he scored his 1st goal, a corner swung across & Willie's powerful header smashed against the crossbar & over, leaving a ball mud stain on the crossbar

In his autobiography he wrote, after the summer break when he returned to preseason training the ball stain Mark was still visible on the crossbar

His final Boro appearences, 3rd September 1977 way to WBA seen debuts to two players, Boro's Billy Ashcroft & WBA 's Cyril Regis

A remarkable player & a true Boro legend 

IMG_20191204_190846.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Erimus74 said:

The late, great Willie Maddren played  340 games, 3 as sub between 1968 - 1977, scoring 21 goals

He scored a goal on his full Boro debut on the last home game of the season & to date, an unbeaten home record against relegated Bury, what could go wrong 

Willie almost doubled his account from the same position he scored his 1st goal, a corner swung across & Willie's powerful header smashed against the crossbar & over, leaving a ball mud stain on the crossbar

In his autobiography he wrote, after the summer break when he returned to preseason training the ball stain Mark was still visible on the crossbar

His final Boro appearences, 3rd September 1977 way to WBA seen debuts to two players, Boro's Billy Ashcroft & WBA 's Cyril Regis

A remarkable player & a true Boro legend 

IMG_20191204_190846.jpg

Programme from an England U23 match at Villa Park with Willie Maddren on the front cover 

IMG_20191204_202711.jpg

Edited by Erimus74
Forgot to post Programme

This day Boro flashback programme 

4th December 1948

Sheffield United 1 Boro 0

Boro lost out to a single strike from Sheff Utd & we trodded off back to Teesside pointless 

IMG_20191204_203056.jpg

Is that how they got the nickname the Blades? Wardonia blades?

1 hour ago, Blanco said:

Is that how they got the nickname the Blades? Wardonia blades?

Nah, that's just an advert.  Blades does come from Sheffield being a big steel producer though.

• Thanks 1

11th May 1985 

Shrewsbury 0 Boro 2

One of Boro 's great escapes

Final game of the season, Willie Maddrens 1st full season as our manager, we had slowly dragged ourselves clear of relegation & needed a point to guarantee survival 

2 players sent off & 90 minutes later we were safe & able to fight another day, well safe first another 12 months when the sane venue sadky resulted in the opposite outcome

IMG_20191205_205621.jpg

IMG_20191205_205633.jpg

IMG_20191205_205740.jpg

IMG_20191205_205702.jpg

IMG_20191205_205754.jpg

• Like 1

You have to admit Alf was right about the rebirth of the Boro........just got the year wrong (and just about everything else

the last three paragraphs of that Gazette comment shows how much things have changed since then  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Wonderful.

Wow & double wow, I want this, not heard this before, its absolute class, thanks for posting this,  awesome 

UTMB - Willie Madden true legend 

It's on the 'Up The Boro' album.  You can download it from ITunes and get some other Boro classics at the same time.  I think you can still get the CD version on Amazon as well 🙂

• Like 1