oneBoro Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Erimus74

Boro flashback / On this day - Erimus74

1 hour ago, boroie said:

Im not sure our defending has gotten any better since then!!

Slightly improved when Festa & Schwarzer were signed late in the season 

Boro flashback - 18th August 1979

Spurs 1 Boro 3

Armstrong, Bosco, Burns

Jim Platt
John Craggs
Ian Bailey
Craig Johnston
Billy Ashcroft
Tony McAndrew
David Hodgson
Mark Proctor
Bosco Jankovic
Micky Burns
David Armstrong
Sub
Peter Johnson

Spurs 1 Boro 3 Aug1979.JPG

Spurs 1 Boro 3 Aug 79.JPG

19th August 1978
John Neal had seen both Dave Brown & Pat Cuff during season 77-78 to convince him neither keeper were in his plans going forward as the keeper to challenge Jim Platt for the No1 Jersey, both keepers were given 10 games each to stake their claim

Ironically Pat Cuffs final game for the Boro was the same game as Souness's final Boro game

In the summer of 78 John Neal signed Jim Stewart from Kilmarnock for approx £200k as the cover for the No1 shirt

Jim Stewart made his Boro debut in goal at home to Coventry, replacing Jim Platt as John Neals 1st choice keeper, fortunately normal service was resumed, Jim Platt Platt was loaned out to both Hartlepool & Cardiff that season, then early March regained his No1 slot & kept it

Graham Hedley was named as sub for his one & only appearance that season 
Billy Woof opened the scoring but Coventry hit back to score 2 goal & run out 2-1 winners at Ayresome Park

John Neal chose the following

Jim Stewart
John Craggs
Ian Bailey
John Mahoney
Stuart Boam
Alan Ramage
David Mills
Tony McAndrew
Billy Ashcroft
Billy Woof
Davey Armstrong
Sub
Graham Hedley 

IMG_20190719_092211.jpg

Edited by Erimus74

Boro flashback - 18th August 1989

Boro 4 Wolves 2

Boro started the season back in the 2nd division after a brief spell in the 1st & after, IMHO, unlucky to be relegated 

Boro gave debuts to Alan Comfort from Orient  & Trevor Putney from Norwich, 2 very exciting signing to hopefully help us achieve a swift  return to the top flight

With goals from Slaven 2, Proctor & a rare Davenport strike, with us playing exciting football with a new exciting winger in Comfort the aggressive Putney in midfield it looked good for the Boro, fingers crossed we can maintain it

Boro team

Kevin Poole

Gary Parkinson

Nicky Mohan

Tony Mowbray

Trevor Putney

Gary Paalster, his final home game before his transfer to Man Utd

Bernie Slaven

Mark Proctor

Peter Davenport

Paul Kerr

Alan Comfort

Sub

Stuart Ripley 

Attendance - 21,727

4 minutes ago, Erimus74 said:

Boro flashback - 18th August 1989

Boro 4 Wolves 2

Boro started the season back in the 2nd division after a brief spell in the 1st & after, IMHO, unlucky to be relegated 

Boro gave debuts to Alan Comfort from Orient  & Trevor Putney from Norwich, 2 very exciting signing to hopefully help us achieve a swift  return to the top flight

With goals from Slaven 2, Proctor & a rare Davenport strike, with us playing exciting football with a new exciting winger in Comfort the aggressive Putney in midfield it looked good for the Boro, fingers crossed we can maintain it

Boro team

Kevin Poole

Gary Parkinson

Nicky Mohan

Tony Mowbray

Trevor Putney

Gary Paalster, his final home game before his transfer to Man Utd

Bernie Slaven

Mark Proctor

Peter Davenport

Paul Kerr

Alan Comfort

Sub

Stuart Ripley 

Attendance - 21,727

This was my first Boro game, I was a wee 6 year old :)

• Like 1

Boro flashback - 42 years ago today, 20th August 1977

Boro sporting a new, quality, iconic strip that season took to the field for the start of a brand new season, along with the change of strip we had a new manager in the dug out

John Neal left Wrexham to become our 18th manager, taking over from big Jack & what a man to follow1

JN's 1st league game in charge & against the might of Liverpool at Ayresome Park, included in the line ups were 2 debutees & two transfer record signings in each team, John Mahoneys our £90k record signing Stoke & Kenny Dalglish £440k signing from Celtic

Dalglish scored 1st to open his account & put Liverpool ahead, our own superstar, Davey Armstrong equalised to make it 1-1 in front of 30,800

Great times been a Boro fan

John Neals team
Jim Platt
John Craggs
Terry Cooper
Graeme Souness
Stuey Boam
Willie Maddren
John Mahoney
David Milks
Billy Woif
Tony McAndrew
David Armstrong
Sub
John Hickton

IMG_20190819_214837.jpg

IMG_20190819_214846.jpg

IMG_20190719_092242.jpg

IMG_20190717_212604.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I think that is probably my favourite ever Boro shirt. 

It was a quality top without a doubt 

• Like 1