oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Crewe Alexandra (EFL Cup) 2-2 (Fletcher, Bola)Boro lose 4-2 on penalties

EFL Cup Sponsored by Carabao

First Round

Middlesbrough vs Crewe Alexandra

The Riverside Stadium

Tuesday 13th August 2019, KO 19:45

It's the first round of the EFL Cup, a competition we won......ooh, ages ago, look!

carling-jpg-gallery.jpg

Pretty much since then we've lost to a lower league team in the first or second round or been beaten by a Premier League team in the Round of 16, apart from LAST SEASON when we went on an amazing run to the QUARTER FINALS where we were beaten by the mighty Burton Albion.

Will history repeat itself? If so which version of history will we see? Could we go and win the whole thing? 

Steve Gibson probably hopes we go on a decent run again this season so he can do this:

giphy.gif

While the supporters do this:

giphy.gif

And the players do this:

giphy.gif

Stats vs Crewe Alexandra:

We've only ever played Crewe once in the League Cup, where we won at Ayresome Park 3-1 back in 1961.

giphy.gif

*Not actual match footage.

The view from the other side:

Crewe Alexandra aren't talking about us yet, but when/if they do it'll be here.

Talking points:

Change the team? If so who comes in/goes out?

Aim for a cup run or try to stay in the Championship?

Do we trust a word that comes out of Steve Gibson's mouth?

How terrible is my first ever matchday thread?

• Like 4
  • Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it's a bit shameful that we've had 3 games under a new manager and 2 of them have ended with boos.

Longer than 3 games into a new manager's tenure, I'll tell you that much.

Posted Images

My trust in Gibson is definitely faltering.

Change the team for me. 

Pears

Djiksteel wood Shotton Bola 

Tav Malley Saville 

Browne Coulson 

Fletch or Britt

Could be a good opportunity for Britt to get some confidence, also would quite like to see Fletch play as the 9. 

Nice MDT

Change the team? If so who comes in/goes out?

Bola, Browne, Dyjksteel, Saville, Pears, (Gestede?) to all start. Probably change formation if big Rudy starts. 

Aim for a cup run or try to stay in the Championship?

Can't we do both? We can bring in some players and scrape a win (like Woodys matches in charge last season) but not commit too many resources to it. We don't want costly injuries to first team players. 

Do we trust a word that comes out of Steve Gibson's mouth?

Pass... at this stage

How terrible is my first ever matchday thread?

On a scale of 1 to a Fellaini, you are around a 3. Good effort, needs more headbutting though. :D

rugby stoke GIF

2 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

My trust in Gibson is definitely faltering.

Change the team for me. 

Pears

Djiksteel wood Shotton Bola 

Tav Malley Saville 

Browne Coulson 

Fletch or Britt

Could be a good opportunity for Britt to get some confidence, also would quite like to see Fletch play as the 9. 

Woodgate says he thinks Friend will play on Tuesday, so I'd swap Shotton for Friend, otherwise I think that's pretty close to what we'll see.

• Like 1

I don't think we'll see Malley in Clayton's role more likely to bring Liddle in and showcase him for a loan move, plus he's a more natural fit, the 2 'box to box' selections will probably be Sav and Tav maybe have Malley or Hackney on the bench as a bit of a showcase.

Up front is where the selection get's a little messy you have Browne on one side maybe you try Coulson on the other this will sound mental but as essentially our main backup striker it probably makes sense to give minutes to Gestede. I'd love Woody to stick a surprise option on the bench like a Balde/Folarin/Jones but might be a tad early to be uprooting too many from the age groups.

Big performance from Saville I'd be interested if Woodgate tries Saville and McNair together at some point as a tandem especially in away games.

Looking forward to the match.

I'd hope the team would be

Pears

Dijksteel  Fry (if fit) Friend Bola

Clayton

Tavernier Saville 

Browne Coulson

Assombalonga

I think that Gestede will start over Britt though, and we'll probably have Wood or someone starting.

I'd hope to have as strong a team as possible so that Woodgate can try and get his first competitive win in comfortable fashion.

Suspect it will be something like:

Pears

Dijksteel Ayala Friend Bola

Tav Wing Saville

Browne Fletch Walker

Walker was in the pre-match training yesterday so think he might come in for this. Also in two minds about whether we play Britt or Fletch for this because Britt clearly needs a bit of a boost. He didn't have a great game all-round against Brentford.

Pears

Dijk Friend/Fry (if ready) Wood Bola

Tav - Howson (DCM) - Sav

Marv - Britt - Browne   

Might be a good time to try Howson DCM, and see what the other 2 cm bring. Marv is playing OK so keep him in (debated Fletcher too as he needs a run of games too but if he gets injured that moves Gestede further up the pecking order), see what Browne can do from the start and Britt could do with some goals. Dont agree with playing Coulson as LW as he is still our rotating LB, we dont play with orthidox wingers (yet) and for me at his age we need to just keep him in one position and let him learn.

On the wingers thing, has Marv been swapping with Fletcher mid game? Think doing this in 5 minute spells gives the opposition something different to think about. 

----------Pears

Dijksteel--Fry--Friend--Bola

---Tav ----Clayton---Saville

Walker---Gestede---Browne

I'd personally play Assombalonga to see if he can get some goals but I think thats something close to what we'll play. Wood in for Fry if he's not quite ready. 

1 hour ago, ChipBarrington said:

Pears

Dijk Friend/Fry (if ready) Wood Bola

Tav - Howson (DCM) - Sav

Marv - Britt - Browne   

That's near enough the team I'd want to see. Over the course of the season I would like to see us try both Howson and McNair in the "Clayton" role just to see if they could hack it or actually play there.

Would also like to see Tav play from midfield this game, to see what he would bring to our midfield. The only change I would maybe argue for is seeing Browne on the right and Coulson playing on the left.

I still think Coulson will end up a Left-back. From what I have seen in the 2 games so far. You can tell he is inexperienced at this level due to his positioning, but that should improve as he plays more and more games. The only other thing I have to say against Coulson is his physicality, I think he needs to bulk up a bit as he is very light weight at the moment (in my opinion). Think defensively in a tackle he is fine, just think he get shrugged off the ball and in air he is too easily beaten at the moment.

Ok so it is early doors of the Cup competition but MFC and the fans need a win so I hope we will treat this game in a proper way, do not want to be dumped out by a lower league team once again.

Get the job done no matter what

• Like 1

----------------Meijas

Dijksteel-Wood-Friend-Bola

--Tavernier-Howson-Saville--

Coulson----Fletcher----Browne

Good opportunity to get some full debuts. Would like to see Fletcher start up front for this game and Ayala has got to be wrapped up in cotton wool whilst we're struggling for Centre backs. Hoping we burst out the gates and get our first win of the season 3-1.