oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Crewe Alexandra (EFL Cup) 2-2 (Fletcher, Bola)Boro lose 4-2 on penalties

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it's a bit shameful that we've had 3 games under a new manager and 2 of them have ended with boos.

Longer than 3 games into a new manager's tenure, I'll tell you that much.

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

Thanx for updates! 

About Britt - As I said earlier this season, he should never ever take a penalty for us .. If we end up in a shootout he should be subbed... I would honestly sub him for Mejias to kick a penalty as the 11th shooter!

THAT'S 3 out of 3 he has blasted over the *** goal - You couldn't make it up!.. And then that smirky grin .. 
The club should really hire a mental coach to get Britt to be right in the head .. It's like he can't be bothered. Too stuck up in his own "Instagram shine" that he cannot focus on making the right descisions! 

Drop the attitude, get your head down and focus on scoring and make the smartest descisions, that'd be great, Britt!

Don’t think any of it is to do with attitude, his confidence is just clearly gone

So according to Lurker and other ITKs we’ve been desperately trying to flog Saville and Gestede all summer. I might be over simplifying things, but I wonder what that’s done for their desire and loyalty? Saville should be nailing down a spot in this team but he doesn’t even deserve a spot on the bench next match  

Add to that a Britt who knows he could have left (has his head gone?) and 3 young new signings thrown in at the deep end tonight (and booed off at half time) and our wafer thin squad looks even weaker. 

Woodgate needs to take some of the blame for his selection tonight, I just get an awful feeling out entire coaching set up is out of their depth. 

10 minutes ago, Randy Sandwich said:

I'm not at the pub, I'm stuck in traffic love - I've only had two pints. 

no wonder nothing gets done round this bloody house when your wasting your time posting on this stupid forum.

Pears - 6

Dijksteel - 5

Wood - 6

Friend - 6

Bola - 5

Tav - 4

Clayts - 6

Saville - 3

Browne - 5

Gestede - 4

Walker - 5

Subs:

Britt - 5

McNair - 7

Fletch - 7

Britt's problem isn't his attitude. He's clearly lacking confidence. He needs a break or two and he'd bang the penalties in again, for me. Think he looks just as disappointed in his performances as we all are. Forgive the man a smile, would we rather he be crying?

So many times tonight, similar to the Brentford game after going behind, we just couldn't break them down. There was barely any press tonight which was quite noticeable whilst it was still 0-0. Obviously after that they were sitting back a little but they were first to every second ball, there was no movement from our forwards or midfield, it was entirely static. When the midfield got the ball, they simply couldn't find a way of looking forward into the space, it was far too safe (and in Saville's case, you couldn't even put your hat on him making a safe pass).

The first goal we scored came out of McNair being brave and trying to break through, we got our break and we took advantage thanks to some very composed work from Fletcher. After that, McNair grabbed hold of the game a little and dragged us through to the end.

It's no shock that out of our 4 penalty takers, McNair and Fletch buried theirs and Britt and Browne fluffed theirs. Shout out to Pears too who came very close to stopping one of their penalties. All round really good penalties from them though. Crewe deserved the win.

I am going to try and take some positives from this because I really want to try and enjoy this season!

1. Another goal for Fletcher, if we didn't have a bent linesman he would have had 4 in 3 already. 2 in 3 is a great return to start. Very excited to see what he does this year.

2. McNair is actually showing why he said he wants to be a CM. Best player on the pitch in the second half it sounds like. 

3. We clawed back from a 2-0 deficit and while we bottled it on the pens, coming back from 2-0 while playing as bad as we did you have to try and take some upsides from that.

Blackburn came back from 2-1 down on 90 minutes to win 3-2 tonight so they are gonna be a tough test at the weekend. Fingers crossed we play better there and see another step of improvement.

UTB

• Like 2

It IS an attitude problem .. When you blast a THIRD penna over .. He shouldn't try to place it in the top of the goal .. He looks incredibly stupid now, after 3 times in a row... 

Shoot it down and low in one of the sides... If the goalie saves it, then fair enough.. But blasting 3 over the bar is unacceptable!

• Like 2

Feel for Fletch for them 2 disallowed goals like but without them he's still on 3 games 2 goals and 2 assists this season if it counts as an assist for Bola's goal, could be the start of a big goalscoring season for him and he's still only 23 

I can't see Woody dropping Britt for Blackburn which I suppose is for the best as all it takes is a scruffy tap in goal for him to get his confidence back but just so wasteful to have Fletcher on the left imo, wasting someone who's in goalscoring form but also taking away a creative position which could benefit Britt. 

2 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

Feel for Fletch for them 2 disallowed goals like but without them he's still on 3 games 2 goals and 2 assists this season if it counts as an assist for Bola's goal, could be the start of a big goalscoring season for him and he's still only 23 

I can't see Woody dropping Britt for Blackburn which I suppose is for the best as all it takes is a scruffy tap in goal for him to get his confidence back but just so wasteful to have Fletcher on the left imo, wasting someone who's in goalscoring form but also taking away a creative position which could benefit Britt. 

All we'd need then is some creative players from somewhere ?

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

All we'd need then is some creative players from somewhere ?

Must be someone from Millwall we can chuck 10 mill at 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Jamie-H said:

Terrible answer exactly what I feared he'd do not only has he thrown a load of players under the bus but also... Himself and his methods, we're 2 weeks into a season he needs to add perspective in defeat not echo the criticism of the terraces.

To be fair some of the performances were terrible and I'd expect him to say so, some of those players need a kick up the *** after that.  I don't see how its a criticism of his methods, time is needed to get it right, what he mustn't do is panic and change tack like Monk did.

• Like 1

Not massively arsed about last night really, it just proves that our squad is thin as we thought it was and that players like Saville and Gestede aren’t good enough to play regular roles this year.

I can see that Britt is going to be the boo boy for this year, and think some have subconsciously got a bit of Pulis brainwashing affecting them. Yes his penalty was gash, but I put it down to a lack of confidence, not attitude. What’s not going to help with his lack of confidence is bellends booing from the stand, so be good to get behind him and enjoy him banging in 20 goals for the lads this year.

McNair continues to be the player that we thought he was when he signed, box to box, energetic and driving. Fletcher seems to be growing in confidence too, which is great. 

Again, thought Clayton wasn’t great (although not as bad as many others on the pitch), so I’m only singling him out to highlight that I’d take him out of midfield for Howson next game. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure Woodgate knew what he was doing with the formation tbh. At one point in the first half we had the two full backs and the three forward players literally in a line at the top of the pitch. Tav and Sav were stood together just behind them. George had the ball in his own half. Clayton just behind him. Where does he pass? The midfield was none existent. In the second half it was much the same, five players in a straight line up front. Luckily, McNair was the one dropping deep, someone with actual quality. It's an incredibly dangerous game though. McNair makes a bad pass, that's five players out of the game, we're gonna take some absolute batterings if we keep doing that.

At one point we had Tav and Browne up front with Fletcher and Britt deep in midfield. Honestly, it was a mess. 

Also, FWIW:

Pears 6, Dijksteel 5, Wood 6, George 7, Bola 4, Saville 4, Tav 4, Clayton 5, Browne 5, Walker 5, Gestede 3, Fletcher 7, McNair 8, Britt 6.

• Like 2

I'm not gonna argue with anyone who says Britt is low on confidence, but in addition to that I will say I think he's so laid back on the pitch its detrimental to his performance. You don't need to be a mind reader or body language expert to see that.

I've watched at least 90% of his games for us and there's been loads of occasions where he's just not switched on during a game, it's either that or he's not interested. I'd rather give him the benefit of the doubt but he frustrates the life out of me and I know from being at the match there's lots of other fans who pull their hair out watching him as well. 

As for the penalties, he's not that technically deficient where he can't keep the ball below the height of the bar. Surely after blazing the ball miles over the bar with your last 2 penalties you'd do something different. 

Doing the same thing 3 times in a row tells me that he's either over confident or just not switched on. A 15 million pound striker doing that 3 times in a row is going to get criticised and he deserves it. 

• Thanks 1