oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Crewe Alexandra (EFL Cup) 2-2 (Fletcher, Bola)Boro lose 4-2 on penalties

51 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I think it's a bit shameful that we've had 3 games under a new manager and 2 of them have ended with boos.

I agree. It's not helpful to the squad or coaching staff. Never booed them in my life and never would, I just said that because I know how fickle some of our fans can be! It got horribly toxic last season.

• Like 1
  • Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it's a bit shameful that we've had 3 games under a new manager and 2 of them have ended with boos.

Longer than 3 games into a new manager's tenure, I'll tell you that much.

Posted Images

10 hours ago, jamesp said:

Don’t think any of it is to do with attitude, his confidence is just clearly gone

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

I'm not gonna argue with anyone who says Britt is low on confidence, but in addition to that I will say I think he's so laid back on the pitch its detrimental to his performance. You don't need to be a mind reader or body language expert to see that.

I've watched at least 90% of his games for us and there's been loads of occasions where he's just not switched on during a game, it's either that or he's not interested. I'd rather give him the benefit of the doubt but he frustrates the life out of me and I know from being at the match there's lots of other fans who pull their hair out watching him as well. 

As for the penalties, he's not that technically deficient where he can't keep the ball below the height of the bar. Surely after blazing the ball miles over the bar with your last 2 penalties you'd do something different. 

Doing the same thing 3 times in a row tells me that he's either over confident or just not switched on. A 15 million pound striker doing that 3 times in a row is going to get criticised and he deserves it. 

Should it have come down to that? He was sub, the 11 on the pitch put us in that position - he was part of the reason we got back to 2-2, he then, after missing his last penalty for us last game, stood up and went first and believe me - I bet there weren't many volunteers to do so - you're talking as if he wanted to miss or didn't care, it's the start of the season, he's just had an 18 month nightmare and also missed some pre season. 

The criticism on here is ridiculous - we are clearly in trouble thanks largely to Gibson and Pulis.  We are obviously short and a couple of the young uns looked a bit like rabbits in headlights but to whine on and on about Britt is getting pretty tedious. 

I'd rather whine about Gibson ?

• Like 1

The problem is, playing as a striker, you put yourself front and centre. It's a position that demands (occupied by players who often crave) the limelight. And to miss three penalties - not have them saved but actually miss the target - is *** poor, especially at this level. The first penalty taker sets the tone for what follows, which is why pen 1 tends to taken by a player high on confidence - and good at penalties. If he wasn't feeling confident, he shouldn't have elected to go first. And if he was, why did he miss??

Of course yesterday's result isn't Britt's fault. He didn't even start! But to deny he's partly responsible is also unrealistic. And the Pulis excuse is wearing thin now. Most of the squad had a nightmare last season, but the likes of Fletcher are producing decent performances under new management. Plus, I don't accept Britt is still feeling the after-effects of "an 18 month nightmare", considering he scored more goals last season than any time since 2013/14.

• Like 1

After attending the game last night it was clear to see in the stands that after the first 30 mins we had no shape and we’re struggling to create any chances! Walker is far to raw and not ready for championship football and Tav needs to find a position as he was poor last night a passenger for most of the game.

less said about Rudy and GS the best as they were shocking last night! 

Bola will be the next Justin Hoyte! 

Will say that I've not entirely been sold on the need for a #10 like player until last night. The midfield needed someone who can break through midfield and have the strength and composure to get us out of a deep midfield. Perhaps that's what Woody was going for against Brentford when he brought Browne on but I think we needed to keep the wide players too.

I'm not sure an out and out #10 is exactly what we need or is ultimately the area of the pitch that kind of player will play in, sat off a striker as such but McNair pretty much changed the game when he took the game by the scruff of the neck, he was brave and took a risk and it came off for him leading to the first goal. We needed more of the centre-backs to try and break through like Fry can, we needed the midfield to try the same every now and then rather than just looking for a nonexistent pass. That's why we kept going back and from side to side. It's fine to do that to keep possession during difficult spells but you have to have a go at some point.

I don't think there's any Boro fan in the country who has a good word to say about Gestede he optimizes everything that's wrong with the game, he has no interest in his own playing career, but what he's getting in  in his pay packet and nothing more, This fella should have been shown the door 12 months ago, he shouldn't even have a squad number and were still discussing how poor he is in a Boro shirt, its a *** joke.

3 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

I don't think there's any Boro fan in the country who has a good word to say about Gestede he optimizes everything that's wrong with the game, he has no interest in his own playing career, but what he's getting in  in his pay packet and nothing more, This fella should have been shown the door 12 months ago, he shouldn't even have a squad number and were still discussing how poor he is in a Boro shirt, its a *** joke.

There's not many footballers entering the final years of their career who would walk away from a salary like he's got here. I don't blame him for staying. And it's clear that he does work hard behind the scenes considering the injuries he's come back from to get back in the team. And he always seems like a good fella to me too.

Last night was a bad performance and yes, I said myself I don't think he was quite putting in the effort at times either. But he certainly wasn't alone there, it was more of a question of who deserves praise last night.

• Like 1

Sounds like we were missing some leaders last night. A mix of youngsters, new players, and fringe outcasts in a cup game against a lower league team... everyone was likely playing in their own heads and focussing on their own game, not the team - which is why it felt so flat and disjointed. 

Feel as though the likes of Fry, Ayala, Randolph, Howson would be demanding more from those around them - which to be fair is exactly what Paddy did.

I always think it's a good sign when a team fights back - especially when they've been crap on the night. It's when they roll over and die that you really need to worry, like Newport last year. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Sounds like we were missing some leaders last night. A mix of youngsters, new players, and fringe outcasts in a cup game against a lower league team... everyone was likely playing in their own heads and focussing on their own game, not the team - which is why it felt so flat and disjointed. 

Feel as though the likes of Fry, Ayala, Randolph, Howson would be demanding more from those around them - which to be fair is exactly what Paddy did.

I always think it's a good sign when a team fights back - especially when they've been crap on the night. It's when they roll over and die that you really need to worry, like Newport last year. 

Nah, we had future Boro captain George Saville on the pitch, we had no shortage of leaders... ?

Jokes aside, it's true. I don't know if Woody was trying to see how they deal on their own but he seemed pretty quiet too. But yeah, sometimes it just needs one lad to really pick the ball up and run to get a kick out of the supporters and that can drive the team on. Especially after we got the first goal, the desire came back from the stands every time we tried to get forward. At 2-0, it looked at times like we were just going to wilt and die.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

That excuse gets thrown out a lot after final whistle boos at our matches, but even if it was the case, which I don't believe it is for half the people booing, I don't think the players or manager are going to immediately assume that loud boos as soon as a loss is confirmed are aimed at anyone but them.

It was a frequent thing last season too.

It was aimed at the officials.

Just now, Changing Times said:

It was aimed at the officials.

I'm sure some of the boos were for the officials, but given that I've seen more and more of our matches ending in booing and have heard the fans around me hurling abuse at the team and Woodgate, I don't think all of it was.

Raya got booed throughout the entire match by a section of the crowd, so I assume some blamed him and thought Fletcher's first was disallowed for a foul on him.

I'm not going to defend Gestede and Saville here but I do wonder if having your club trying to ship you out all summer effects the effort level you're willing to put in?  The club don't want you so why should you bother kind of thing?  From Saville's perspective, we signed him last summer, he moved to the other end of the country and then a year later we don't want him.  I think I'd feel like I had been messed around albeit my pay rise would make me feel a bit better about it!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TeaCider24 said:

I'm sure some of the boos were for the officials, but given that I've seen more and more of our matches ending in booing and have heard the fans around me hurling abuse at the team and Woodgate, I don't think all of it was.

Raya got booed throughout the entire match by a section of the crowd, so I assume some blamed him and thought Fletcher's first was disallowed for a foul on him.

I can't go around and ask every person there but I'd say that at the very least the vast majority of the booing was for the officials based on the abuse I could hear them getting at the same time from various people within earshot of me.  The players got some applause.  The same thing happened at the Blackburn home game last season when there was loads of booing that was clearly aimed at the officials as they walked off and we still had people complaining that the players were being booed.

I don't think he's actually played a game for us yet where we haven't lost or at least conceded, but I thought it was one of Wood's better games for us last night. Might have a future.

I'd have to watch the goals back, he may have been at fault for them, my unfamiliar seat didn't have the best view and people kept walking past and blocking my view.

5 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I can't go around and ask every person there but I'd say that at the very least the vast majority of the booing was for the officials based on the abuse I could hear them getting at the same time from various people within earshot of me.  The players got some applause.  The same thing happened at the Blackburn home game last season when there was loads of booing that was clearly aimed at the officials as they walked off and we still had people complaining that the players were being booed.

As I remember it, the Blackburn booing was specifically targeted at the officials as they walked off the pitch and down the tunnel. It wasn't immediately at the final whistle.

I just think it's a poor precedent to set either way, 3 matches in and we've had two full times booed, one half time booed and one subbed player booed off the pitch.

Hopefully we'll crack out a decent win against Blackburn and the travelling fans can applaud the team off.