oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Crewe Alexandra (EFL Cup) 2-2 (Fletcher, Bola)Boro lose 4-2 on penalties

5 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

What am I milking?  I just thought we were having a chat.  You're a funny lad, you really are ?

We are having a chat - I can't help being a sarcastic twonk. I need to learn these emojis - what's the one for sarcasm? 

I've edited the post with a wink - does that work? ? 

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it's a bit shameful that we've had 3 games under a new manager and 2 of them have ended with boos.

Longer than 3 games into a new manager's tenure, I'll tell you that much.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Randy Sandwich said:

We are having a chat - I can't help being a sarcastic twonk. I need to learn these emojis - what's the one for sarcasm? 

I've edited the post with a wink - does that work? ? 

No, I won't accept it now ya sarky get ?

15 minutes ago, Randy Sandwich said:

Is booing supporting your team?

Do you think if you don't boo they wont think they've just played crap and lost?

Do you think if you don't boo Woodgate won't go through them like a dose of salts? 

Other than letting the team know (which I'm pretty sure will have done through the 90 mins) that you aren't happy, what else comes from it? 

At the end of the Robson era I watched Curtis Fleming fall apart in front of me because of the booing - it was awful.  He couldn't kick a ball properly - this was a must win game too, which we lost. 

It must be great being an opposition fan, knowing that our fans turn on our team the way they do - and bloody embarrassing for us. 

When you say it happens at every single game - you imagine, what quantifies that? 

Leeds and Millwall come straight to mind as fans who don't boo their teams every time they loose (displeasure with scoreline) - in fact why don't you name teams fans when we've beaten them (as I assume you've seen us win) who then boo their team off. Because I assume it will be every single one if your theory is correct. 

Is booing supporting your team? I'd say throughout a game you're actively yearning for the team to do well, being vocal for them as well as individual players. Booing is the only way you have of demonstrating your displeasure to the players if they arent doing well. 

I'd like to think the boos would act as a way to pick it up to the players. Woodgate -"do you hear the boos out there? Let's give the fans something to cheer today". 

I think as a fan paying money, you have every right to boo. Would I boo the team if they've all be trying 100% and losing 3-0? No. But I would boo if they've been playing badly and not putting effort in. For the money they are on, it's the very least they could do. 

In regards to "every game", to ones I've been to or seen on TV, if the favourites are losing or behind at half time, they will boo. So I'll change it to every game to, the majority of the games which I have been to or seen. 

I think the people who boo are doing it for a positive effect, to get them to come out of the second half and owe the fans something. I dont think people do it to be nasty or aggressive. It's just as a fan, the only way to get across to the players their displeasure. 

I think this goes into the disconnect between fans and modern football, but that's a conversation for a different topic entirely. 

Watched the highlights there, pretty woeful stuff. One thing stood out though for me was that Britts penalty appeared to go wide rather than over. A miss is still a miss, but it does change the narrative when he is being accused of skying 3 in a row and not learning. Its at 07:53 or so in the highlights on mfc if anyone wants to verify or contradict! Obviously I wasnt at the game but the video definitely looks wide rather than over. 

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/highlights-boro-2-crewe-2-crewe-win-4-2-on-penalties

28 minutes ago, boroie said:

Watched the highlights there, pretty woeful stuff. One thing stood out though for me was that Britts penalty appeared to go wide rather than over. A miss is still a miss, but it does change the narrative when he is being accused of skying 3 in a row and not learning. Its at 07:53 or so in the highlights on mfc if anyone wants to verify or contradict! Obviously I wasnt at the game but the video definitely looks wide rather than over. 

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/highlights-boro-2-crewe-2-crewe-win-4-2-on-penalties

Amounts to the same thing.

As the most expensive striker in the Championship, he's had 3 penalties in a row in which he's completely failed to hit the target.

1 minute ago, TeaCider24 said:

As the most expensive striker in the Championship, he's had 3 penalties in a row in which he's completely failed to hit the target.

Yes, but different flavours of the same thing. If he blasted over each time then thats bad decision making coupled with bad technique. At least this way, its just bad technique. 

13 hours ago, ManBearPig said:

Is booing supporting your team? I'd say throughout a game you're actively yearning for the team to do well, being vocal for them as well as individual players. Booing is the only way you have of demonstrating your displeasure to the players if they arent doing well. 

I'd like to think the boos would act as a way to pick it up to the players. Woodgate -"do you hear the boos out there? Let's give the fans something to cheer today". 

I think as a fan paying money, you have every right to boo. Would I boo the team if they've all be trying 100% and losing 3-0? No. But I would boo if they've been playing badly and not putting effort in. For the money they are on, it's the very least they could do. 

In regards to "every game", to ones I've been to or seen on TV, if the favourites are losing or behind at half time, they will boo. So I'll change it to every game to, the majority of the games which I have been to or seen. 

I think the people who boo are doing it for a positive effect, to get them to come out of the second half and owe the fans something. I dont think people do it to be nasty or aggressive. It's just as a fan, the only way to get across to the players their displeasure. 

I think this goes into the disconnect between fans and modern football, but that's a conversation for a different topic entirely. 

So name me these teams who booed their team when we were beating them, we've went from "all" to "the majority" so you must still have plenty of names for me. 

You've never played sport have you? 

I nearly stopped reading when you said Woodgate can use it as motivation. 

So if you were Woods's mother (who was at the game) and your child who only left school a year ago was making his big debut for his hometown club and you heard the booing - you think what - she'd be thinking "that'll do him good, hell play much better after that"? 

Ive played in front of maybe 500 when I was that age and it was terrifying, one thing I will never forget was getting the ball and hearing a roar and my name being shouted, I felt unstoppable - if a crowd of 500 who were behind me was scary I can't imagine what it's like to have a stadium shouting abuse and booing. 

I would have took it as nasty and aggressive and you're making a lot of assumptions. 

As for disconnect with fans, I wonder why? The players are hardly going to warm to "fans" who are booing them, especially when they are trying their best and have been put in this position through no fault of their own - except wanting to play for our club. 

So I don't know why you are trying to justify it to me because - as I've said, I think people who boo are complete *** holes and they aren't fans in my book, add to that people who then pathetically try to justify it are bigger ones. 

Do I need to labour my point anymore? Because I can't be bothered going over and over it. 

How many matches a season do you go to? (Out of curiosity) 

BTW I hardly went to a home match last season so please don't think I'm being holier than thou. 

Edited by Randy Sandwich
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Let someone else take penalties then, Mcnair nailed his. 

I have to say I'm really warming to Paddy Mcnair,  the irritating thing is Pulis got him (I'm only assuming he did and not the recruitment team) then only used him as a utility man and rarely at that - yet stuck with Saville.

Maybe Mcnair was a Boro target rather than a Pulis one?  That would explain why we paid 5mil for him for him to be a spectator to me, because we know Tony's a stubborn one.

I'm glad we didn't sell him and I think he is going to be a valuable player this season.  

1 hour ago, Randy Sandwich said:

I have to say I'm really warming to Paddy Mcnair,  the irritating thing is Pulis got him (I'm only assuming he did and not the recruitment team) then only used him as a utility man and rarely at that - yet stuck with Saville.

Maybe Mcnair was a Boro target rather than a Pulis one?  That would explain why we paid 5mil for him for him to be a spectator to me, because we know Tony's a stubborn one.

I'm glad we didn't sell him and I think he is going to be a valuable player this season.  

Randy please be quiet about how McNair and Fletcher are becoming good players, the accountants may have spies on here.  They could be sharpening their spreadsheets to reduce the debts even further for SG as the European window is not shut yet. 

14 hours ago, Randy Sandwich said:

So name me these teams who booed their team when we were beating them, we've went from "all" to "the majority" so you must still have plenty of names for me. 

You've never played sport have you? 

I nearly stopped reading when you said Woodgate can use it as motivation. 

So if you were Woods's mother (who was at the game) and your child who only left school a year ago was making his big debut for his hometown club and you heard the booing - you think what - she'd be thinking "that'll do him good, hell play much better after that"? 

Ive played in front of maybe 500 when I was that age and it was terrifying, one thing I will never forget was getting the ball and hearing a roar and my name being shouted, I felt unstoppable - if a crowd of 500 who were behind me was scary I can't imagine what it's like to have a stadium shouting abuse and booing. 

I would have took it as nasty and aggressive and you're making a lot of assumptions. 

As for disconnect with fans, I wonder why? The players are hardly going to warm to "fans" who are booing them, especially when they are trying their best and have been put in this position through no fault of their own - except wanting to play for our club. 

So I don't know why you are trying to justify it to me because - as I've said, I think people who boo are complete *** holes and they aren't fans in my book, add to that people who then pathetically try to justify it are bigger ones. 

Do I need to labour my point anymore? Because I can't be bothered going over and over it. 

How many matches a season do you go to? (Out of curiosity) 

BTW I hardly went to a home match last season so please don't think I'm being holier than thou. 

I dont live in the area so granted I dont get to go to many. But under Pulis I'd not have gone anyway. Plus I play football on Saturdays.

I've played sport and football and I get your point completely about booing and why it's a negative. My point is that at the top level, booing is part of that game. I dont want people to boo players ALL the time, but if they've performed below standard, that's when I'd think a boo is warranted. 

We both know I'm not going to list every game where the gome team has booed at half time, but it happens, like I said, it's part of the game. Rightly or wrongly is obviously open to debate. 

Your point about booing when they've tried their best is missing my point. I said that, for me personally, i would never boo a player who is giving it their all. But i would boo a player who isn't putting effort in and is playing badly. I think you have misunderstood why people potentially boo in the first place.

But we shall agree to disagree.

13 hours ago, pikerman said:

Randy please be quiet about how McNair and Fletcher are becoming good players, the accountants may have spies on here.  They could be sharpening their spreadsheets to reduce the debts even further for SG as the European window is not shut yet. 

I don't think there is much debt to reduce, however costs have to be reduced dramatically. I would have thought Fletcher and Mcnair salary would be about 15k at a guess and that may be manageable but the really big earners will have to be shifted. 

3 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

I don't think there is much debt to reduce, however costs have to be reduced dramatically. I would have thought Fletcher and Mcnair salary would be about 15k at a guess and that may be manageable but the really big earners will have to be shifted. 

The club owe £100 Million to Gibson's other companies. There is definitely debt to reduce. But luckily for us it is not something that is causing issues at the moment, as it is money owed to Gibson.

Our first concern at the moment, is most definitely the costs, as you have mentioned. Our revenue for the 19/20 season is going to drop a huge amount, as we will now no longer have the back up of parachute payments.

28 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

The club owe £100 Million to Gibson's other companies. There is definitely debt to reduce. But luckily for us it is not something that is causing issues at the moment, as it is money owed to Gibson.

Our first concern at the moment, is most definitely the costs, as you have mentioned. Our revenue for the 19/20 season is going to drop a huge amount, as we will now no longer have the back up of parachute payments.

Yes. I should have said debt isn't really a problem whilst Gibson is still in charge. 

• Like 1